Opinions: Best $1K Numismatic Invesment For The Best Return?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JimOfOakCreek, Jan 15, 2012.

1. JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek Member

A grand isn't a whole lot of money; but, if you had $1000 to invest in coin(s) what would you buy? The only consideration would be the best possible return on your money.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Investing in numismatics is highly risky because coins tend to be unpredictable when it comes to value. From what I have seen, key coins tend to be more stable but even that is risky. If I was going to "invest" in "coins" I would personally buy bullion only. I think it is the safest route.

If you want a numismatic piece to invest in...I would find a key coin in that price range. Maybe a graded 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent. Something that is very popular and always in high demand would be the safest IMHO.

4. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

I'd look through junk silver bins at the coin store and get all the proof Washingtons and key and semi-key Barbers (there actually is some!) for melt value (how about $150), buy a 1/2 pound ASE ($275), and a variety of dates of Seated Liberty coins (the remaining $575). And some long nights spent researching market values of coins.

5. You may want to think about PMs and not numismatic items for investment purposes. With that said, key dates are probably best (1916 D dime, 1909 S VBD, etc.). TC

6. JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek Member

I'm only a few miles from Waukesha. What coin shop in SE Wisconsin do you recommend?

7. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

i would end up buying copper bullion (coins bars ect.) and maybe 5 ASEs

8. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

This is my opinion. I know I do not have the nuismatic experience that others do on this site, but economics fits me like a glove. I study economic trends, realized prices, eBay pulse+ Completed listings. At the 1k level (if we are strictly speaking of 1 coin) a number of things come to mind. The series that jump out to me are DDO/DDR (lightly toned) MS Franklins, Bust Quarters, Seated Liberty Halves++, and posibly a nice VF DBQuarter. The Monster tone premiums seem to be slowing down, while the error/overdates + key dates remain steady (hot). Anytime we are talking about a small market, or an individuals unique taste in a series.. then we are talking premium. Right now Seated Libertys are a shoe in the bag.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's a lot of copper to get $1000 worth. ;)

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd find something to invest in that doesn't have a built-in 40% buy/sell spread.

Buy $1000 worth of collectable (non-bullion) coins from your local shop, keep it for a year, and sell it back, and they're likely to offer you $600. It's how they support the cost of doing business. At least, that's the impression I've gotten from here.

11. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

12. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

1909-S VDB in F-12

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

A nice PQ AU55-58 bust half.

14. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

55 ddo type 1 or a 55 ddo tpe2

15. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I would recommend that you invest your $1,000 in your numismatic education. For $1,000 you can attend one week at the ANA Summer Seminar. If you take a grading course or counterfeit detection course (or any of the numerous other excellent courses offered each summer) the knowledge you gain can help you make better purchases (and avoid making bad purchases). The money you save on one or two purchases can more than pay for the cost of attending Summer Seminar and over the course of your collecting life the Summer Seminar couses can pay for themselves many times over.

16. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Greater Milwaukee Coin & Jewelry

17. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

A savings account. Even at our pathetic interest rates you'll still probably come out ahead of coins in the end.
    Guy

18. chip

chip Novice collector

Coins are a see saw what goes down comes up (eventually) right now proof sets are pretty low, a grand would buy you about 333 proof sets, if they go up a few bucks you will make out pretty good.

19. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

yeah, i need a few doorstops so i would get some 5 pound bars. lol. but copper is really really hot right now and it doesnt look like it is going to slow down

20. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'm sorry but IMHO copper is a horrible investment.

21. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Any coin you like that contains half ounce of gold or platinum.

Draft saved Draft deleted