Omaha Bank Hoard

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by nickelman, Sep 25, 2006.

1. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

You have yet to meet my Lawyer (Mrs Orc) she chews trolls up and spits them out before Breakfast LOL & scratches her back with there thigh bone :hug:

De Orc :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

And I assure you that the only reason your post that generated that comment was not deleted, with a warning to you about personal attacks, is that I was too busy laughing and rolling around on the floor to take care of it. ;) :) :D

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

With enough money, anything is possible. Offer enough money and you can have your photo put on the slab, or a lock of your hair inserted below the coin. I don't think there is anything the TPGs won't do for the right price. But you have to consider whether it's worth it to you or not. It shouldn't be.

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Well, here's the official explanation, direct from the [​IMG].

I'm sure we are all in total agreement with the part I emphasized. ;)

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I also had the opportunity to check a 2007 RedBook today and there is no mention of any such (Omaha Bank) hoard. To put the size in question one must refer to the (documented) New Orleans hoard was only three wooden boxes.

I have my doubts as the the veracity of this story as it fits together all too easily. Having a family member (from Omaha, Ne) who has been in the banking business for many years (in Omaha, Ne) and has never heard of any Vault or Hoard I stand by my opinion of it being just a marketing ploy to dump a bunch of common coins and make some money on the frenzy associated with it.

Ben

7. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Thanks to all for the replies. I was just wondering not that I was thinking of paying extra for anything because it says something on the label its just that I have been noticing these alot.
    I've seen a 2004 Keel Boat 5c Proof ICG PR69 with "Original Strike" on the label? As opposed to what "Unoriginal"! What is that supposed to mean and who would pay the have that of all things put on the label?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-S-ICG-PR69...1QQihZ006QQcategoryZ41089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Supposedly it was struck in the first days of minting that coin. As frequently discussed in other threads, it is a meaningless designation since every time a new die is put in service, some new "first" or "original" strikes occur, but there is no record kept by the mint of which coins came from which dies, and when.
    Usually it's one of the internet shopping sites - HSN, the Coin Vault, etc. After all, they have to do something to justify their jacked up prices in order to cover their expensive TV time. :p

9. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

I seriously doubt the Omaha Bank Hoard designation will have any lasting significane or carry a premium. I recently bought a 1952-S Washington Quarter in PCGS MS-66 condition with the Omaha "pedigree." But I only bought it because I paid the wholesale value of a regular MS-66 for the coin.....the Omaha distinction had absolutely no bearing on my purchase.

10. louielot

louielot Junior Member

I saw a coin on teletrade the other day that was from the Omaha Bank Hoard. Although the coins from this hoard are not worth a premium, I think it is nice to know where the coin came from, which 99.99% of the slabs don't mention.

11. sirfordster

sirfordster Member

I don't have anything form the omaha hoard, but I do have a peace dollar from the binion hoard. :D

12. dracula370

dracula370 Mmmmmmm......Bacon

I live in Omaha and know a bit of it's history. There used to be an Omaha National Bank, where most if not all of these rolls were purchased. I think when it merged with another bank, could be the FNB of Omaha, they gave up the name. Not sure if they were kept at the same bank.

13. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

not a scam

The Omaha Bank Hoard was a hoard of mint-state bank rolls purchased by a private collector beginning in the 1930’s through to 1980 and stored in a vault in the Omaha (City?) National Bank. It included over 2000 original rolls of gem Lincoln cents, Buffalo and Jefferson nickels, Mercury and Roosevelt Dimes, Washington quarters, Walking Liberty and Franklin halves. The hoard was sold in 2004 to Heritage.
    Like the GSA hoard, the release of this hoard had a significant impact on prices. Prior to release of hoard, PCGS 64 1932-D Washington Quarters sold for in excess of $9000, recent sales have been as low as $2,300

I collect Omaha Bank Hoard coins from 1944 and am putting together a PCGS 1944 Registry Set with them.

14. louielot

louielot Junior Member

PCGS site says this

15. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

this is not a bad idea. Perhaps if I submit all my coins I can get the "Magman's Shoebox Hoard" :high5:

16. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I was thinking about the "Ziggy's sock drawer hoard"

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Good to know but don't expect bonedigger to respond. He made a permanent public exit from the forum a while back. The post you quoted of his was from September 2006.

In honor of the resurrection of this Omaha Bank Hoard thread, I command everyone who owns one to post a photo. T$, I know you have one, I sold it to you. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

:smile

18. louielot

louielot Junior Member

Very Nice.

19. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

what is a hoard

A hoard is a collection of valuable objects. When a hoard is found, it can have significant market effects.
    The "Omaha Bank Hoard", named (by Heritage?) because it had been stored in an Omaha bank was of sufficient size and quality to significantly depress the price of many mint state coins (e.g., , PCGS 64 1932-D Washington Quarters dropped by nearly 75% when the Omaha Bank Hoard hit the market). If they had named the hoard after the anonymous collector who put together the hoard, would there still be objections?

As for me, I'm glad the hoard exists. It allowed me to put together a high grade birth year set without having to pay thousands of dollars.

20. Awolter

Awolter Monkey Wrench

Makes me want to start hording.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A lot

You know what a lot is?

Yeah, itsa too much.

Any time you gotta too much, you gotta whole lot. Look, I explain it to you...sometimes you no got enough, it's too much, you gotta whole lot. Sometimes you got a little bit. You no think it's enough, somebody else maybe thinks itsa too much, itsa whole lot too. Now, itsa whole lot, itsa too much, itsa too much, itsa whole lot...same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted