Omaha Bank Hoard

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by nickelman, Sep 25, 2006.

1. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

I have seen this over and over on slabs but this must have happened in one of my lull periods. Does anyone have a link to an artical on this? Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I asked the same question too. Never heard of one and my inlaws have lived there all their lives. My MIL has worked in the banking business for 30 years and there never has been an 'Omaha Bank', there is a First National Bank of Omaha, (where she works) and my FIL retired as the sheriff of Douglas County in 2002. A position he held for 16 years and before that he was a deputy sheriff for something like 30 years.

Another marketing scam I think.

Take Care
    Ben

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Sounds like someone found a sack of coins and saw an opportunity...

Ben

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Heritage has at least one in an upcoming auction, attributed by PCGS. Don't know what it is, but it is apparently real. The "Omaha Bank" reference is undoubtedly to "a bank in Omaha", not a bank with that precise name.

If you are really curious, why don't you ask Heritaqe about it?

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Normally aren't (Hoards) documented better? Look at the RedBook ones like the Bank of New York, New Orleans Bank find, Wells Fargo, etc. are documented. I think a (well known) collecter and someone who submits LARGE lots to TPGs saw an opportunity and... Of course the truth may never fully be known, If you Google "omaha Bank Hoard" the whole story is just not there.

This is the ONLY relevant link I could find.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...d"+"collector+who+obtained+rolls"&btnG=Search

Take Care
    Ben

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Okay, I went ahead and asked Heritage. Their website says they'll get back to me within a few days. [​IMG]

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

9. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

lol, I want to respond to defend my future employer, but ... you're right it is purely a marketing ploy, lol. I'm beginning to think no one in the coin industry is immune from this kind of nonsense.

I suppose this means that if I sell my found in circulation coins in a few years through Heritage that I can get them to be attributed as the Chicago Bank Hoard, or better yet, Treasures from the Cave Troll's Lair Hoard! or maybe just the Mines of Moria Hoard. That would be cool, I think I'll refer to my collection henceforth as the Mines of Moria Hoard, that way anyone interested when I die will know what to look for to get my collection when it returns to the market.

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

As a Orc of good standing (within the Orcish comunity) I take exception to your claims to the 'Hoard Of Moria' you will be hearing from my Lawyer before to long Mr B A L' Rog Esq of Sauron, Sauron & Daughter.

De Orc :p

11. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

12. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I assure you Sir this is no Laughing matter

De Orc ROFL

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And you got the same answer a year ago :D

14. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Don't quote me, but I think the omaha bank hoard may be mentioned in the 2007 redbook.

15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Never-the-less it wasn't a bank hoard. More of a collection/accumulation of coins from someone in Omaha. It is a catchy name though...

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

What is the minimum size to officially become a "hoard?"

17. satootoko

satootoko Retired

A whole bunch. ;)

18. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Plus you have to pay the extra $$$ to get "hoard" put on the lable.

19. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Thanks for the info. This brings up another question? Can anyone have anything they want placed on a slab lable if they have the $$$ ?

20. The_Cave_Troll

I want to remind you that this troll finds that orc lawyers taste like hobbit, and I like hobbit!

roflmao

21. The_Cave_Troll

not quite, I think there is a minimum size requirement for the submission, but I have no idea what it is at each of the TPG's

Draft saved Draft deleted