Norfed-Liberty Dollars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tmoneyeagles, Jul 9, 2010.

1. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

Thanks for that information Tmoneyeagles. I did not expect to find much silver of any type when I went to the flea market. I got very lucky today considering that it was a busy day there today with the beginning of the holiday shopping. :)

EDIT: This particular coin dealer inside the flea market had more 2000 Liberty Dollars available but I only bought one since I was low on cash.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'd go back to him, a lot!

Look for the 2000 Liberty Dollar without God on the front, that one is rare.
    Continue to go back to this site and see which ones are scarce/rare.

http://sites.google.com/site/libertydollarencyclopedia/

4. 1970 Silver Art

When I get my next paycheck, then I might go back but I doubt that there will be any left by the time I get paid again and go back to the flea market because there were a lot of people at the flea market today. I will try to look for the "Godless" Liberty Dollar and I hope that I get lucky enough to find one locally for a low premium over spot. I bookmarked that website and thanks for posting that website because that will help me to identify the NORFED Liberty Dollars that I am looking to add to my collection. Liberty Dollars have been very hard to find locally but I had a little luck finding some at certain coin shows that I went to a few months ago. So far, I had no luck finding any Liberty Dollars at my local coin dealers but I will keep trying.

5. steelheadwill

steelheadwill Active Member

Great Investment Coins

PA SILVER 007 copy.jpg PA LIBERTY DOLLAR 004 copy.jpg PA SILVER 004.jpg
    I Purchased A lot of the 2009 PA 1 oz rounds at just about spot price.
    Also got one of the 4 coin proof sets for $70.
    As far as modern bullion coins go, I think these are the Best looking out there.

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

After reading the unique history behind this coin, I purchased one just to have in my collection. I also purchased a one dollar paper certificate. I imagine the certificate has no real value but it was all part of the controversy. I felt it was a good conversation piece. I paid $23 for the coin and $14 for the certificate. I have included pictures of both. P1010194.jpg P1010781.jpg

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Here is a photograph of the back side of the Silver Certificate. It's in reference to the inquiry from tlasch:

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Had trouble with the right photo. This should do it.

Attached Files:

9. tmoneyeagles

Thanks for posting that! I've never owned a certificate before, just the metals themselves.
    That clears things up for me! Thanks!

10. fatima

fatima Junior Member

This is really an interesting and very difficult coin to find now. That was a very nice purchase. I've specifically looked for these coins at the last few coin shows I've been to, and sadly, none were to be found.

11. tmoneyeagles

I recently got two of these, and got a third free due to shipping complications. (Still got it just in time for Christmas though)

I am selling one of them, and I photographed the one I'm selling. All three are very similar.

I bought them here, highly recommended. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/869

This is the first Liberty Dollar that I know of that has $2 as the denomination.

[​IMG]

12. 1970 Silver Art

Thanks TMoneyeagles. :) I am more than happy to do business with you. :) Once it arrives in the mail, then I will let you know (via PM) that I got it. Thanks again TMoneyeagles. :)

13. tmoneyeagles

Good to know we could do business! You will really like that one when you get it!
    Hopefully when I get my new camera I can get some better photos of the current Liberty Dollars I have. Some of the copper ones I have photographed don't look all that good with the current photos.

14. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

It's collectors like us that will drive a premium on any alternative currency. It's the catering to us collectors with low mintage rarities and proof versions that undermines the cause of an alternative currency. I'm a collector so I collect, what's their excuse?!

15. tmoneyeagles

I agree!
    This is why I have been saying these carry some numismatic "value"
    The prices on some of these prices are unbelievable, and there are many low mintages and errors on these Liberty Dollars really do drive the premiums that are paid.

16. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

If you enjoy collecting such things, and do it with eyes wide open, then there's no harm.

I have a question, though. Does anybody actually redeem the "certificates" for gold and silver?

17. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

No harm to me but what about those who want to create an alternative currency?! Maybe some of the collector buzz would spill over to the category of "awareness" for the idea...

I wonder if anyone would actually cash in the certificates. (I wouldn't!) I remember hearing that Picasso would get away with not paying for things because he would use a check and people kept them for the signature!

18. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Texas John and Ladies First;
    The government raided and confiscated all the precious metals that were put aside to cover redemption. There is no way to redeem them any longer. It is under litigation, but I doubt it will ever be allowed to happen.

19. tmoneyeagles

Which can drive the prices for these things higher and higher among collectors!

20. tmoneyeagles

I have updated the pictures of some of the Liberty Dollars I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

tmoneyeagles;
    Off hand, do you know what the largest denomination made, was in this series? I would like to pick one up this year, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I was guessing at $100?

Draft saved Draft deleted