NGC vs. PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Mar 12, 2009.

?

NGC or PCGS?

1. NGC

50.0%
  2. PCGS

50.0%
  1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Hmmm - missed this poll from 6 months ago, but got my vote in. For sending in PCGS is preferred, used both. For purchasing it does not really matter.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

haha so what... I dont care how good the company is at finding someone to make them a website, I care how good they are at grading coins! :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer: Seriously, have you all not heard of them before!? I really will post pics if needed!

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

No, I've never heard of them before. No one I know has ever heard of them before. I have never seen any of their slabs, and I've seen tens of thousands of slabs.

Above all, I have no patience with the condescending attitude "we're so much better than those rotten Americans". Leave it.

The link posted earlier has no cred with me. And a "grading service" without a web presence is a self-slabber as far as I'm concerned. If someone cannot understand the indispensable value of a website for a "world class" TPG - one that claims to be so superior to industry leaders - that person has no cred with me.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Are you sure it wasn't just the strike...more often than not, the shield is not fully struck and can appear as wear when it is not.

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Martin,

First, sorry about the name mixup, don't know why I thought that.

Did you happen to see the recent thread on the TCCS forum about the supposed AT coins? If so, do you think they are from the same source that you have identified?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, I have heard of them, they are very well known and highly respected by collectors of Canadian coinage. They are considered the best TPG for Canadian coins by many.

They also slab US coins, but only a few that I have ever seen. And I do not think their expertise is near as good on US coins based on what I have seen.

8. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

uhhh no one has a condescending attitude except you. I gave my opinion that they are the best grading service based on what I have seen. Dono where you got the "we"re" from... I am an American. And frankly if you have seen tens of thousands of slabs and never even heard of these guys you may not be quite as "pro" as you seem to think you are.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't know a lot about these guys...but from what I have seen they are mainly foreign coins. I don't care for their "slabs" if you can call them that...and from what I have heard they are considered reputable in Canada. But, I have never dealt with them.

I think I will stick with PCGS and NGC for now.

10. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I have utilized the services of ICCS for some of my Canadians, Newfoundlands and British coins. In comparison to The Top 3 U.S. TPG's in grading and attributing these coins, they maintain very strict grading standards. So if you want a true grade for these coins, go with ICCS. But you may slide with a higher grade with PCGS , NGC or Anacs. I prefer to have a an accurate grade for my money.

With respect to the topic of this post, I don't feel is is fair and accurate to make firm and rigid comments as to who is better. Each TPG has their advantages and disadvantages, depending upon the issue in question. I buy the Coin, not the holder.

11. CHAMELEON

CHAMELEON Toned Coin Enthusiast

I did see the thread, and that is exactly who I was talking about. He's been dumping those coins in the market place for the past year and a half or two years. They were coming out slowly in the beginning, but in the last 6 months or so he started flooding the market. He passed his coins off on 3 other toned coin dealers, and also on me. Luckily I only bought 5 of his coins, and as soon as I discovered they were AT (just before the TCCS thread started) I returned the 3 I had left. He only is able to doctor silver coins, but he is among the best I have ever seen. The coin below was one of the earlier coins he did and it was graded MS-65* by NGC.
    [​IMG]

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Is he the person who posted in that thread?

13. CHAMELEON

CHAMELEON Toned Coin Enthusiast

The guy that all those coins were coming from did not post anything until Scott started catching all kinds of hell from everyone. He claims that he got all his coins from different places, but wouldn't say who any of his sources were (which tells me that he is the source).

14. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

We're planning to do this. No ETA yet, though.

CAC should be added at some point as well.

15. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

which one is cheaper?

16. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

This is not true. You know me and I have heard of and respect them. They are usually more conservative than NGC and PCGS.

ICCS is definately not a self slabber and the fact that most US collectors are not aware of them does not mean they do not know what they are doing. Trust me Ricky if you collected Canadian coins you would be intimately familiar with them and exclaiming their virtues too, though I agree with you that it is time for them to move to a hard plastic holder, the sealed flip is not as good as a coin protector as they could employ.

17. dond2885

dond2885 Junior Member

90% of my slabbed coins are NGC. One ANACS and one ICG the others PCGS

18. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I voted for NGC. I have examined hundreds of coins graded by both companies and have found them on average, and for the most part, to be on par with one another. I just find NGC's slabs to be more aesthetically pleasing than PCGS'.

19. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Would also depend on quality of the coin. If a NGC MS65 is cheaper, but has more marks than a PCGS M65 which is more expensive.... It would depend on the price but most likely I would go with the more expensive one with less marks

20. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

NGC COINS ARE USUALLY A LITTLE CHEAPER, WHY I DON'T KNOW. TO ME BOTH COMPANIES ARE THE BEST BET WHEN BUYING ANY COIN. BUT FOR PRICE ALONE I WOULD SAY NGC STANDS OUT, I OWN ONLY GRADED COINS FROM PCGS AND NGC. :yawn: ROUGHLY 400 COINS TO DATE, I THINK EARLIER DATED COINS SAY 15 YEARS AGO THERE MIGHT BE A DIFFERNCE BUT AS OF NOW I SAY NGC AND PCGS ARE EQUAL. SO BUYING EITHER COIN WOULD BE FINE ! :hammer: SOLD

21. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Yes, for modern coins, it really doesn't matter. When you go to more classic coins, then there can be a big difference. Take any classic gold, for example, I've heard many stories of people crossing their NGC MS61's to PCGS AU58's... I have the personal preference of PCGS, but it has to be a case by case scenario, if the NGC AU58 looks nicer than the PCGS MS61, I will buy the 58, and maybe cross it in the future.
    Since I have posted this thread, I've swayed my opinion over to PCGS, but I am more in a mode where I will just buy the best coin, for the best price, either NGC or PCGS

Draft saved Draft deleted