NGC vs. PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Mar 12, 2009.

?

NGC or PCGS?

1. NGC

50.0%
  2. PCGS

50.0%
  1. jeffusa

jeffusa Member

I presonally prefer a clear holder and I think PCGS grades tighter. I think NGC is sometimes a point looser. I can't stand the white holders NGC use. I also like how PCGS holders stack.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Based on what is normal at coin shows any slab from PCGS is always going to be higher priced. I've been going to 2 to 4 coin shows for many, many years. I've seen slabs from more organizations that I thought were possible. I read somewhere that there is now over 100 TPGS's. Yet dealers at coin shows always think they are inpressing you by saying, but this coin is cetified by PCGS. I seldom hear dealer say that about NGC or any others. I've seen dealers put the PCGS slabs in front so people would see that they have them. It may be that NGC or others are just as good or even better, but like I said, at coin shows it's the PCGS slabs that get bragged about.

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

OH, forgot. I do not have any slabbed coins. I have purchased some in the past but broke the coins out. I collect coins, not plastic.

5. mardi990

mardi990 Junior Member

I do not like NGC, they tend to add a level or two when evaluating coins. I have several slabbed NGC Morgans and dealers have told me that the ratings on them from NGC are off by one or two. Who knows? I am a newbie to all this so it is a constant learning process.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

NGC does sometimes up the coin up one grade, thanks to any attractive toning

7. fox4zero

fox4zero New Member

I find that PCGS is a pain in the "Reverse" with their slightly oversized slabs which won't fit well in anybody else's slab boxes or those beautiful mahogany boxes with 3 trays sold by ANA. I have not had enough experience with either to have any other opinion.

8. stella

stella The Myth

I going PCGS, simple because PCGS coins seem to bring mor money and some places i go they look at NGC and say thats a week grading service.
    But, you send a coin to NCG i think you will get a better grade than to PCGS, but not always. Maybey thats why your sayin NGC ALL THE WAY!!!!

But honestly you could get everyvote in here, its been done and they are always about even

9. tmoneyeagles

I have the same post @ coinhood.com @ the moment, it is 50/50 right now

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

it seems we found one now if the other shows up ;)

11. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

12. tmoneyeagles

Sweet! Every vote counts! :)

13. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I smell dealers trying to take advantage.. beware the dealer who says "yea, that morgan isn't a 65, its only a 60" run... don't walk. They smell blood in the water.

I have met some dealers who are full of bull and will do these things all the time. I have also met outstanding ones ;)

Just for fun try to pay 63 money for a 65 coin, tell em you think they overgraded it. I am guessing they will defend the grading company they where just deriding :)

14. HOBBY61

HOBBY61 Senior Member

Ngc -vs- pcgs

:pencil:
    ==NGC-vs-PCGS==
    /////////////////////////////////////
    ----
    I WILL SAY THAT I HAVE A VISUAL APPEAL FOR NGC.
    I HAVE SEEN PRICES AND DESIRERABLITY FAVOR BOTH GRADERS.
    I HAVE A NGC MS70 COIN WITH A PROMINENT
    GASH, SCRATCH, OR SOMETHING ON THE REVERSE SIDE. :eek:
    THE PCGS MS70 COINS I HAVE DO NOT HAVE SUCH.
    THE JURY IS STILL OUT FOR ME. :confused:
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ---?---

A SITE TO PONDER: :bigeyes:
    http://reviews.ebay.com/NGC-apos-s-v-PCGS-apos-s-70-apos-s-HOWMAN_W0QQugidZ10000000004003671

15. CHAMELEON

CHAMELEON Toned Coin Enthusiast

I think NGC is one of the worst grading companies around. They slab a whole LOT of artificially toned coins, and bag a whole lot of naturally toned coins. They are very inconsistent too. I've sent a lot of coins to them for a second time, and not a single one has come back with the same grade. The star designation is a big joke as well. I've seen it on plenty of coins that were nice, but not close to exceptional. I've seen tons of coins that had exceptional eye appeal that they don't give it to also. It's a big scam to get resubmissions and make more money. In my last submission they bagged a Franklin half for a counting machine mark that did not exist. There's nothing at all that slightly resembles a counting machine mark anywhere on the coin. What do they care? They still get paid regargless, and twice if I'm dumb enough to send it in again. I once bought a standing liberty quarter on ebay that was NGC graded MS-66, but when I got it I was so disappointed. It was AU-55 at best. I've seen four NGC star graded coins that were artificially toned (and hundreds of non-star coins that were AT). NGC is on the same level as NTC in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I've sent 3 coins that I bought in NNC holders to NGC. All 3 came back graded exactly the same as NNC had graded them. There are a few things that PCGS could change with their submission system, but they are much better at grading a coin than NGC. I wish there was something positive I could say about NGC, but there is not 1 thing that comes to mind.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

PCGS is in no way better when it comes to grading AT/QT coins. Have you seen some of the ASE's they have slabbed? I agree there star designation is very inconsistent but I will admit I have not seen many that don't deserve the star, just too many that didn't get the star. IMO, that is the way NGC wants it.

17. CHAMELEON

I have seen a few Franklin half dollar proofs that PCGS has recently graded that were as AT as they come, but in the big picture NGC has slabbed a whole lot more AT coins. To be honest, I think all the grading companies are a joke unless you send them an extremely scarce coin. Slabs really mean nothing to me. It's just another person's opinion. I've got my own opinions that don't cost $12-$30 per coin. I've seen quite a few key date Morgan dollars that were over-graded by more than just a point or two, which I find to be very odd. No company has grading down to an exact science. There was talk of a new method to grading that would give the slabs a definitive grade that could not be argued with, but it hasn't made any appearances as of yet. It was either NGC or PCGS ( I forget) that was tossing around the idea of a computer grading the surfaces of a coin to determine an acurate grade based on the number of marks and the amount of wear. It would be done with some sort of lasers or something and the grade would be figured by calculating the figures gathered by the scan of the coin and determined by the grading specifications that the computer had been assigned. That way, no one could argue that an MS-64 was really MS-65. Each time the coin would be scanned, the same exact grade would be given. Until something like this is done, a graded coin has nothing sustantial to back up it's assigned grade. I don't know if this idea is still being considered, but I do know that it was expected to be very expensive to set it up. My guess is that it was dropped, but who knows?

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree about who slabs more AT coins. I don't even know what to say about the new proposed grading method other than I think it will be met with much resistance.

19. CHAMELEON

Probably just talk. I'll believe it when I see it. :)

20. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

The PCGS people are too busy selling coins and are unable to vote...:whistle:

21. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Here ya go:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted