NGC or PCGS?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coingeek12, Apr 22, 2014.

1. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

I use NGC purely so I only have to ship my coins two hours away and not to the other side of the country.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

For the small time collector, I am leaning towards ANACS but I have read that they changed ownership a while back and are not as good. I have some of all three and to be honest, I just want the coin and an accurate grade.

4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the CDN sight unseen percentage ratings for the TPG's be considered when comparing PCGS and NGC? Last I checked the percentages for the two were almost exactly equal. That tells me that the confidence the market has in their grading is pretty consistent.

Also, it's eye opening to see how much lower those numbers are for ANACS and ICG, and even more so for SEGS and PCI.

5. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

A while back, boy, did things change. It was almost as if ANACS became ICG and vice versa. ANACS did take a 'hit', and, IMHO, their grading on some series, changed for the worst, but some, like Morgan's, remained pretty much solid. For your best chance at picking up a nice Morgan on the 'cheap', in hopes to at least crossover to one of the top 2 TPG's, giving it a better resale value, ANACS isn't a bad choice at all. Not crazy about how they grade Washies, in particular (they grade Washies very similar to how ICG did). I sent 3 'new' ANACS (blue and yellow label) for 'crossover' to PCGS, 1 downgraded 1 grade (66 to 65), the other 2 dropped 2 full grades (67 to 65)...I would have been happy had those 2 only downgraded 1 pt. Before the change, I sent in five ICG Washies, and only 1 'crossed' at 1 grade lower, 3 downgraded by 2 pts, 1 came back 'Unc details....cleaned', which I thought the toning just might be hiding. Modern stuff seems to always be overgraded, much like ICG was doing, but, as I said, it seemed as if just the 'names changed'.

Ethan, if your coins are Morgan's, my opinion is, you have a 50/50 shot a crossing with ANACS Morgan's.

6. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

With the way the USPS operates, shipping to a place only 2 hours away, your chances of a delay or 'lost' is as good as if you DID ship it cross country!!

easj3699 likes this.
  7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Do you know what these percentages stand for or how they are derived? My guess is that you do not. You must buy a very old issue of the Greysheet to see how these numbers are arrived at. These numbers mean little, if anything, in the real world market and should likely be removed entirely.

8. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Informative post, thanks. Most all of the coins I would send in would be Kennedy's with maybe a few SMS cameo pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. I have been told that NGC is by far the best for this but who knows? I have ANACS graded cameo Kennedy's that look better than NGC ones for the same grade.

9. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge the numbers stand for the percentage of full greysheet bid that coins of each TPG trade for sight unseen. As for how they are derived I am not aware. If they are based on insufficient or incorrect data then I agree that they are not very useful.

10. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

What about modern US error coins? I have a couple I'm going to submit and trying to decide which TPG to use...

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you join PCGS at Platinum level, you get a cert. for 8 free grades.
    Not sure if that was figured into the cost of grading shown in this thread.

12. Odieo331

Odieo331 Member

The free grades on PCGS exclude error coins. And all 8 must be submitted simultaneously. I'm just trying to figure out if one has a better market niche for errors than the other.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You might consider starting a new thread that includes photos of the error coins. The error coins in my collection are mostly raw. I do have some that were purchased in plastic. The slabed coins are mostly in ANACS, NGC, or PCGS holders.

14. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This is what you might logically think of, but it is not entirely correct. They use only a few coins such as 1938-D Buffalo nickels and other common coins and use one or two grades for each such as MS65 and 66 for a total of only about 20 data points to get these empty numbers.

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Hmm, with that sample size I can see why you put no faith in those numbers.

16. Numismatic33

Numismatic33 Member

I've only ever sent to NGC and highly recommend it, but PCGS's slab feels more secure o_O I say NGC to send out.

17. Numismatic33

Numismatic33 Member

Also depending on what coin you're sending in, PCGS can have tougher grading standards then NGC.

18. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i feel as if both are good and bad in their own way, so to speak. NGC or PCGS? the world will never know......
    but for now, im going with NGC, cause' of the price tag.....

19. CamaroDMD

What is your motivation for having these coins slabbed?

20. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

the story is a long one, but i think i can shorten it:
    ok. so, a few years back, my mom got a lot of morgans from her grandpa and a few of them are really nice looking. and she thinks it would be a cool idea to have them graded (plus it protects the coin) i dont know it off the top of my head, but one of them is worth 100+ dollars. so, a nice price tag :D also i have a few coins i thought would be neat to have slabbed (a few jeffs, wheaties, and a couple of memorials) and i wanted to get my entire 1976 coin collection slabbed as well. along with 2 "the american prospector" silver bullion coins.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  21. CamaroDMD

What is the date/mm of the $1000+ Morgan? if you have pics, post them. I'd like to see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted