Newb self

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stainless, Nov 6, 2009.

1. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Wow, anyone ever go back and read some of the threads they had when they were first in the hobby? I just read some of mine....WOW! I mean, I am still all over the place like I used to be, but at least I keep it in the ancient field (for the most part) :rolleyes:.

Some of the threads I created were like "I wrote that", and some of the mistakes I made were very dumb (a lot of times, it was becuase I didn't do my RESEARCH). Sad part is, I still make those same impulsive buys and the same mistakes, it just happens less now..lol.

Anyone else see this with their past threads? (or past actions if you weren't here as a newbie)

stainless

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i would think any one of us who started with this forum when they started with the hooby, would see themselves asking the same questions and making ther same mistakes some of the new folks joining lately ask and do. I know i asked alot of the easy or simple questions when i started, and i know imade simple and silly mistakes. We all do. Those who say the never had, are either hiding the truth or had someone helping them along the way lol

i can read a post of mine from last week and feel the same way as you did about a post from a year or two ago :D

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - some of were not experts before we joined the board(or even created the internet). :)

5. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I would be afraid to revisit my posts from yesterday!!! :whistle:

6. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Being a highly intellgent, wise, sincere, honest, etc. individual, I can state without remorse that every post I ever made, commented on or whatever, were of the highest possible contents. Without any errors, mistakes, oversights and all of the greatest moral standings.:smile
    AND this will be one of the ones your mentioning that when I someday come back and read what I said, I'll really get sick. :rolleyes:
    In reality one of the nice things about being old is you seldom care about the past. The present is what is really important and the future is to limited.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It was absolutely hilarious !

Coincidentally, I visited all of one member’s posts just yesterday. This one CT member has been all over the place with his goals, ambitions, and bold statements. I thought it would be fun to look at all of his opening posts. It was easy with CT’s search function. I just read the first one or two sentences of each of his 4 pages of posts. It was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing so hard that I had tears.

I would never go back & look at my own opening posts. That would be just cruel and unusual punishment.

Very best regards,
    collect89

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And some of us still aren't :)

But I certainly take the point of the thread to heart. I have watched some amazing changes take place in members over the years. I am constantly commenting to myself about it.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Ironically I was looking at my old post last night thinking the same thing :D
    I still feel pretty green, but I remember a study that it takes at least 10 years to "master" something.

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I hadn't really gone back to look at any of my old posts. I've been collecting for many times longer than the few years the internet has been around, so I can't say I was a newby when I came here. But in the sense of learning as time goes on, I imagine I could see the growth in my posts over time. Someday when I'm Doug's age I'll go back and look at the last 87 years of posts and probably get a good chuckle :p
    Guy~

11. davemac

davemac dave

Doug is not as old as he makes out
    Your only as old as you feel
    But i have gone back
    I dont like what i see
    But i know more now ithink
    But its all a part of learning
    My spelling was not good and is still not
    And i have gone back with a lot of the older posters here
    We all make mistakes
    That is what this is all about
    Dave
    Ps
    I will regreat this someday

12. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

nah, he pretty much is :hammer:

stainless

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

lol, careful he'll get you.

14. davemac

davemac dave

Why because he say it like it is
    Your only as old as the lady that you that you feel

15. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Definitely! I have some ridiculous posts from when I first joined, I really had no idea about anything.
    But everyone starts somewhere. I am in the same boat as everyone else when i say, "I read a post of mine from a month ago and chuckle".
    Here are some of my early posts.
    http://www.cointalk.com/t31755/
    http://www.cointalk.com/t31375/ ( I was killed on this coin Definitley a money loser, I still have it though.)

And this one... This one is enough to make any one laugh.
    http://www.cointalk.com/t32181/ :rolleyes:
    Stainless, you certainly have come a long way, and narrowed your collecting down. You certainly were all over the place when you first joined.

16. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

nah....just look at his avatar...it'z a ghost with a hat (and sunglasses...why does he need sunglasses?)!

stainless

17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Yeah, stainless, that was fun going back. Saw some funny posts. Didn't find anything I'm embarrased about. (I probably embarass myself more now.... in other ways though, lol) Saw some old posts from bonedigger. I still wonder why he left?

One I laughed at was my first time asking about albums. I posted asking about Dansco albums. I got one reply, which was from kanga, (bless his heart.)

After being here a year and half, it's all too clear why that one didn't take off. lol I can say since then, I've done my duty in replying to about 10 of those album related question threads. Ugh.

My "question to the old timers" (about how the internet has changed coin buying and prices) was good entertainment too. Still informational now though. I probably posted a lot of boring stuff then, that most people here didn't care much about. But it was fun. Very valuable to me in the learning process, getting back into the hobby.

18. I recently found an old forum that I used to post on, at least what remains of it, that closed up in 2005. I made more then 5000 posts on that forum while it was active from 2002-2005 and I was reading some of them and thinking to myself, "why the heck did you say some of that stuff??"

Most of the time I just think back on all the posts I've made and wonder how I was able to come up with that much crap to say, LOL. I've made since 2000 roughly 125,000 posts over 200+ message boards, maybe more post-wise. The board I've been most prolific on doesn't keep track of posts, but I know that I joined it in 2001 and by 2004 I had made over 10,000 posts...and I still post on there on a regular or semi-regular basis.

Some of my early coin-forum posts are going to make me cringe in the future for sure...LOL...I started posting on a coin forum the month after I started collecting, and I eventually came over to here, and others...Now I post on 4 coin forums and 1 currency forum. I literally knew nothing when I started posting (I had never heard of a Red Book and didn't know there were any mintmarks other then P and D!)

19. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Haha....CT already deleted my oldest stuff...but here are some of the things that came from the mind of the newbie stainless:

1. whats a numismatic?

2. mintmarks matter?

3. dates matter?

4. Where do I find a redbook?

5. Oops, I wasn't supposed to clean this (speaking about a coin I cleaned with a brillo pad) :hammer:

stainless

20. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Yeah, I'm still creating mine ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted