New Years Resolution Note for 2012

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

Two years ago in the Paper Money section of Coin Talk we had a fun thread like this started by RickieB. In 2011, I picked up the mantle in Rick's abscence and suggested that we do the same for the past year. With a New Year already underway, many new members to these forums and with the celebrated return of our dear member, RickieB (grand inspirational mentor, collector and expert plunger sniper!
    :thumb:), I wish to honor his initial thread idea with another New Years Resolution Note thread for 2012.

As a refresher for what has come before:

New Years Resolution Note for 2010

New Years Resolution Note for 2011

So then, what is(are) your New Years Resolution Note(s) for 2012?

Post if you will...

If you are able to reach any of your goals during the year, please report back to this thread and post scans or photos of your accomplishment(s).

Good luck and happy collecting in 2012 :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

For 2012, I am resolved to work on adding the following to my collection:

• F-36 (or F-37 - F-39) Large size $1 Series 1917 - (PMG certified at least 53 or higher.)

• F-2101H $50 Series 1928A (to start a new denomination level for my small size St. Louis FRN district collection)

• Continue in my 2011 quest to add Series 1928 and/or 1928-A: $5, $10 and $20 numeral notes to my small-sized FRN St. Louis district collection.

• Continue in my 2011 quest (attempting not to be outbid for once!) of acquiring an example of a gold certificate.
    Ideally, seeking graded examples in PMG/PCGS holders between 35 to 55 grades.

4. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Krispy:

Thank you for bringing back such a fond memory.
    While I am feeling better day by day I am happy to be here once again learning from all of you guys who have really stepped it up quite a few notches.
    I have certain things in mind for 2012 and once I make a clear decision I will post my resolve here along with yours.
    I hope you are doing well and are safe in a good zone!

I like your above list, I hope to see you accomplish this goal as well.

5. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Nice to get this going again krispy, so thanks for that. Here are my 2012 notes I hope to acquire this year:

- acquire a National Banknote from a PA bank

- increase the number of large-size notes in the collection by starting with a $2 and $5 example

- keep finding modern star notes to add to the hoard I have going.

6. x115

x115 Collector

in 2012 I hope to get:

-1907 $5 "woodchopper" in About New or higher
    -1922 $10 gold cert.
    -high grade Hawaii note

and a few books

7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Krispy:

Even when I started the Large Size Collection 5+ years ago I had my eye on a $10 National Bank Note "Date Back". The reverse features a vignette of one of my favorite fractional notes, "Fessenden". The front of the note is graced by a historical vignette of Franklin and Liberty grasping Lightning......I am happy to report I found one in CHCU64 from my home State of Massachusetts and have made arrangements to secure it.
    This is my first Large Size Note purchase since I had to sell my collection at the FUN Auction last year. I am thrilled to have this even though it is not a New York Note.

The Note is the 2nd Charter Period (Series of 1882) Date Back National

[​IMG]

I also have set into motion the idea of collecting a few more vignettes...the ones that follow are from the just completed FUN Auction. I am thrilled to get them as well.
    I have asked Mr. Hessler to help me identify the engravers of the Female Vignette with the Sabre...we are working on it.
    The bottom right vignette was engraved by George Casilear, as you know he was the Superintendent of Engraving at the BEP in 1889 and retired in 1893

[​IMG]

8. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

My New Years resolution note, or notes, would probably be a $500 and/or a $1000 FRN. Hopefully, the budget will allow for at least one of those.

Another note related resolution, but something that doesn't relate to a specific note, would be for me to branch out from FRN's, and obtain other forms of US Currency, both small and large size.

Happy hunting, everyone!

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Mine? Sell off a lot of extras, whole packs, and stuff I have not a whole lot of interests in and buy Massachusetts Pine Tree coins.

10. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

My big one is to go to the National Money Show which will be in Denver this year. Not sure what I want to get yet, but I for sure want to find the time to go for atleast a day.

11. x115

x115 Collector

These note's are some I have already purchased in 2012 (just received within a week or so)

Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg

12. lettow

lettow Senior Member

1. Exhibit at the Memphis show.
    2. Finish writing my book on Wisconsin Depression Scrip.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Excellent goals everyone and some excellent pick ups and goals already met! Superb!!!

Thanks everyone for sharing and for adding goals such as creating something like lettows written work, or others whose goals are attending shows! Brilliant!

@RickieB: Hands down your tastes in notes and picking excellent examples of them always blows me away. I just love seeing that you have your hands on stunning large size notes again. It's beautiful Rick really beautiful. Also, the vignettes are great. The Casilear vignette is an image I feel that I am familiar with and admire. Great choices all!

14. Kittrell

Kittrell Star Collector

1934-A $10 North Africa star in PMG 55 or better.

15. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

1. Get rid of my south korean currency to free up space
    2. Acquire a semi rare note
    3. Play college football

16. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I have a feeling this could be the year of the 1886 $5 Silver Cert "Morgan Dollar Back". Because of the nature of the notes design, I would need to hold firm with 40 or better. Fingers crossed for that big windfall, because I'm going to need it! Else I'll just keep investing in my favorite notes, when I get paid.

Oh and a giant poster of Rickie's avatar! BTW; is that a toilet plunger on the end of barrel? What ever it is, I love it! I'm thinking 36"x24" minimum on the poster size!

17. krispy

krispy krispy

There's always the cheap-o option until the real one comes along... but at least these are printed full scale, from authentic dies, on intaglio presses and fully embossed, with bright color and are pristine in their detail, a BEP souvenir card:

1886 $5 Silver Certificate - Morgan Dollar, ANA 1981

[​IMG]

18. Kittrell

Kittrell Star Collector

Spendy, Ron. I hope you pick one up. [​IMG]

19. g1rge

g1rge Member

Year set

I'm going to finish my year set collection ie find each year from 1901 to 2050 in the SN of $1 notes.

20. x115

x115 Collector

OK, I got my 1907 $5 "Woodchooper" today.the holder is a little scratched up.I have been putting money away for months and planed on buying some notes in 2012. but I have almost reach my budget for now. my Hawaii note should be coming in today and I will post it once I receive it.
    Scan.jpg
    Scan 1.jpg

21. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Krispy, I already have two of those cards and makes needing the real one even worse! I actually turned down a 1891 version of $5 SC last month. It was absolute horrible what they did to the back, cause people wined that they couldn't see the security threads with all the ink! Pretty much all of the 1891 silver certs got neutered the same way! AWE!!!
    This is bad, but for a brief five seconds I thought about selling my Desert Eagle and my uber rare brand new 3" 610 10mm revolver in my avatar(They only made 300)! It was very brief, and I came back to my senses!

x115 What the -
    That sir is a nice Woodchopper! Just curious, how much does a oil change cost in a Lamborghini Reventon? LOL
    I remember I was going to pick one up not to long ago, but the only ones I could afford looked like rags? When nice ones show up on eBay, people bid them up into crazy land leaving me wondering about my life decisions?

Draft saved Draft deleted