NEW HERE!!! Inherited Collection

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cpb614, Jul 10, 2012.

1. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Good luck. Take it slow and easy. If I were to rush into anything, it would be to buy more coins and bullion:hail:.

For the un-slabbed coins, be sure to learn how to handle - clean hands/gloves and pinching from the sides. Natural oils in the hands will transfer to coins, and over time, it will not be as pretty - but spotty.

Glad your families coin collection landed in the hands of someone that appears to care enough to not just cash in. This is how fortunes and real wealth are made - so I hear. Enjoy you coins!
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. cpb614

cpb614 Member

There is an immense amount of coins, it will take some time before I get pictures together other than the ones I already took, those are the coins i have with me.

I started making a list, it is 4 pages, prob gonna be 50-60 by the time Im done...
  4. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Try sorting first.
    I finally gave in with the safety deposit boxes. Fewer boxes were too heavy to enjoy handling. I ended up getting a box for each denomination (at a minimum). Might still have to split up my Wheat ear cents and Lincolns.
  5. cpb614

cpb614 Member

The unslabbed coins are mostly all in books, pouches, and i can only assume , where they came from, have not really been handled as much as one would think.

It is everyones first instinct to "cash in", and get quick money. I believe that these things take time, bad decisions come when the mind is unsettled.

My biggest thing is If i decide to sell the collection, I would want them to go to someone who will appreciate it, rather than some scammer scrapper who will melt them.
  6. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Amen Brother. God Bless You. I feel the same way. Not only am I terrified of smelthers, I hope to avoid having some of my collections split up. For example, If there were 30 Territorial Gold pieces, I would like them to stay together - sort of like a family. I feel similar about coin set books. When I purchase a partially complete book at auction, I leave whats in there in there. I am not real organized with my collecting at the moment, so the unfinished books sort of stay that way for the most part. I write in the book where they have come from if and when I know any history.

I have a large population of family members that love coins, and collect a few of their own. I gift out US Mint sets when ever possible. Not sure where you got your leanings for coins, or perhaps it is more about your respect for your relatives and to learn more about the hobby that they cheerished.

I like this thread. Glad you started it.
  7. cpb614

cpb614 Member

This has all come from experience, and the virtue of patience. i have made a few mistakes in the past and lost a ton of $$$ with other hobbies, so this time i wont do the same thing....
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

Yes! Actually, I have 2 Joss West. I had a 3rd, but it was stolen at a tournament in Indiana.

The one I posted in the photos was made in 1995. It has about 250 pieces of ivory & ebony, sterling silver accent rings and New Zealand mother-of-pearl (point-in-point accents).

Here is a custom cue made by Mike Sigel, the winningest pro player of the 80's. It has a solid ebony butt with sterling silver and ivory inlays. I've known Mike for quite a long while, so he gave me one heck of a deal on it.

Chris

Attached Files:

9. cpb614

cpb614 Member

That is a great looking cue, the ivory inlays make that cue...

thanks for sharing
  10. cpb614

cpb614 Member

Thank you to everyone who gave me a great welcome to this forum and the love of coins...

i just went through box #3 and found a lot more stuff, about 25 more Peace dollars, 25 more Morgan dollars, some steel cents, gold half eagles, and some more proof sets from the 1960's
  11. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy Supporter

Chris do you glow with awesomeness????
  12. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Man, I get excited just reading about all this. How fun. How exciting. Kind of like hearing about some one opening a really awesome Christmas package.
  13. cpb614

cpb614 Member

Yes it sure is. I have been learning a ton about these coins. the majority of them are from my grandparents who started collecting them in the 20's and did up until 1994, then my father took over.

My father had the best coins graded, but had 2 slab boxes with coins wrapped in plastic that read "ready to be graded" so i'm assuming these were the best of the best and I will have them graded too.

Thanks again everyone for your warm welcome, I will post some more pics as soon as I get back upstate
  14. ejmunden

ejmunden New Member

Sounds like you inherited a great collection. Good Luck
  15. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

did you buy any books yet?
  16. jello

jello Old+Long time Member

:welcome:to Cointalk!
    take your time read before you buy a coin US or World coin
    .mintages can make a coin worth more US + World coin
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

More photos! More photos! How about some shots of individual coins that you might want to submit for grading?

Chris
  18. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Books, books, books.
    Good reminder zach.
  19. cpb614

cpb614 Member

Thank you
  20. cpb614

cpb614 Member

Those are my next project, I have to see what they actually are, and if it is worth getting them graded. There is some Franklins, Eisenhowers, Morgans, and Peace....Also found some graded pennies, and nickels too.

There is 125 Franklin halves...and there may be more...
  21. sunflower

sunflower New Member

ANA membership

You may want to look into ANA membership (see www.money.org) - I think that is the site address. After becoming a member, you can submit coins for less cost than other/non members can. Others on CoinTalk will know more about all this.

I had joined ANA mainly for that benefit, but can't seem to get around to getting my coins submitted. I think it is NGC that offers the reduced slab fees/conservation/etc.