New Hampshire 1776 American Liberty

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Frankc, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Frankc

Frankc New Member

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. In the previous thread concerning the "American Liberty, 1776" copper coin from New Hampshire there was a discussion on authenticity and various designs by William Moulton.

Members "linnybinny" and "jimmydubois" had posted photographs of their coins, both of which were identical.

I too have an identical coin. It appears from what I have read so far that these coins are probably modern counterfeits. However, can anyone shed more light on these coins and perhaps their origin and history?

Thanks, FC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

4. Frankc

Frankc New Member

National Dealer,

Thanks, I read that reference earlier. I am however still wondering if these coins are genuine or counterfeit?

The jpegs from "linnybinny" and "jimmydubois" are identical to the coin I have.

What is the verdict on these?

I read a reply from you to "jimmydubois" stating they were "copies" but what exactly could that mean?

Thanks, FC

5. National dealer

All of the ones posted here on the forum have been copies. If you can post a pic of your coin, it will be easier to tell you exactly what to look at to determine whether or not it is a copy. There are more copies of colonial coppers than originals on the market today.

6. Frankc

Frankc New Member

The two sets of photos previously posted by "linnybinny" and "jimmydubois" are practically IDENTICAL to my coin. I cannot see any difference at all.

My coin weighs in at 4.1g, my scale being accurate to .1g I don't know if a photo would show anything different than the photos posted by those members.

Thanks, FC

7. National dealer

Each of the two photos show different varieties of known copies. As with real coins it is the small details that are often used to determine authenticity. The correct coin should weigh 5.15 grams

8. Frankc

Frankc New Member

OK, I will do two things. #1, I'll get an absolute accurate weight. The scales I used were somewhat "rough". I'll use my powder scale for ammunition reloading and convert powder weight in grains to grams. Would powder weight in grains be better?

#2, I'll get some detailed photos and post them here. What dpi resolution is best for posting, (file size)?

Would photos from the "edge view" be recommended?

Anything else?

Thanks, FC

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Weight is weight - grains would be just fine. As for the pics - if you are going to attach them then they need to be 50kb or less. The dpi will necessarily be low because of this. And the file must be one of these file types - gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg pdf php. If you can host your pics on a web site - you can post the pic directly into your posts here on the Forum or just provide a link. There are no size or file restrictions for this - but try to keep the size reasonable to help those with dial-up connections.

10. Frankc

Frankc New Member

OK, Here are the two pics of my coin. I don't have a precise weight but my electronic scales put it at 4.1g, with a +/- error of .1g

I'll get an accurate weight later but this coin is, I believe, a copy from what I've seen here.

Thanks, FC

Attached Files:

11. Frankc

Frankc New Member

These jpg's are only 10k per. I know you recommend no more than 50k, but is that per shot or per total attachment.

I can repost these if you need more detail.

Thanks, FC

12. National dealer

Even though they are small pics, if you look at the 6 in the date, you will see that this does infact match up with the other copies.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In the future - take 'em up to 50kb Frank. My eyes are gettin too old :D

14. OUTLAWS159

OUTLAWS159 Junior Member

Hey i have the same coin and mine was also black untill today i buffed it and now its silver. Its thinner than a quarter. Do you know anything else about it

15. OUTLAWS159

OUTLAWS159 Junior Member

hey, i have the same coin. mine was also black untill today and when i buffed it i realized it was silver. has anyone found out anything about it? steve
    outlaws159@juno.com

16. OUTLAWS159

OUTLAWS159 Junior Member

hey, i have the same coin. mine was also black untill today and when i buffed it i realized it was silver. has anyone found out anything about it? steve
    outlaws159@juno.com

Draft saved Draft deleted