New "colonial" pickup, what do you think?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by non_cents, Apr 19, 2014.

1. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Picked up this "colonial" on ebay. Even though it is dated 1783, it was likely struck in the 1820s. Still a very cool coin, and not that easy to come by. I'm in the midst of doing a little bit of a verdi-care treatment for the rim, but otherwise it is a nice looking coin. Not a lot of examples to compare it to, but I think it could grade VF-20. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

1783 wash.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I like it ! A nice solid piece. This was one of my 1st colonial types I purchased 8 or so years ago ,always liked them.

non_cents likes this.
  4. non_cents

Awesome! This one looks like Draped Bust, No Button. What do you think of the grade? I don't see any obvious problems on the coin (besides the grime around the rim), surfaces look good in-hand.

5. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

That's a really nice piece non_cents! This is the first I have seen. Interesting coin! I'm not well versed on colonials anyway.

non_cents likes this.
  6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

nyce

non_cents likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

My understanding is that these are medals, stuck by Thomas Ingram, circa 1820, with restrikes following in 1850 and 1860. I don't know why they get called colonial coins. They are neither colonial, nor are they coins. Were they in fact, used in commerce? A kind of hard-times token perhaps?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    non_cents likes this.
  8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Good points JA, but they're defininitely considered Colonials. Probably because they're dated 1783 and have an image of George Washington on them. Although 1820 is pre-Hard Times era, I wouldn't be surprised if the circulated during that period. Some examples show serious wear so most likely did.

In any case , you have a nice looking Colonial there non_cents. I would say VF-20 is a fair grade for it.

Bruce

non_cents likes this.
  9. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Very nice.

non_cents likes this.
  11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I can't give an opinion on the grade, don't know enough about these.
    I do think I know what old copper should look like and IMO this one is right there in the sweet spot. Nice example!

non_cents likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very nice!! And just about anything and everything circulated at that time copper cent sized trade tokens Spanish silver other foreign coins etc and a lot of barter and trade as there just wasn't enough hard currency in this country. This stuff was considered legal tender up until 1857 when congress passed a law against it. So this was used as currency but is technically not a true "colonial" just collected with them

non_cents likes this.
  13. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Actually I feel if the coin were to go to service it would grade as VF25 possible VF30 . There are a few whispy lines that I see on the obverse but not enough of an issue to hold back certification. The grime can be removed if its a major concern but it looks ok to me.

non_cents likes this.
  14. non_cents

Thanks everyone! I think this one could be worth submitting. I paid just a buck or two over $100 and considering the grade, I think I got a fair deal.

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats lovely. I could definitely collect these but man they get pricey.

non_cents likes this.
  16. non_cents

I see some low grade ones (most unfortunately cleaned or damaged) pop up on ebay a few times a week. I got lucky with this one because it appears problem-free and was sold by a guy with very little feedback (only 1 previous sale on ebay, though he owns an online store), which may have kept others away...

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They call them coins because they are round and made of metal, and colonial because they have the 1783 date on them. Kind of like why do they keep calling late 1700's Dutch East Indies Duits New York Pennies? The Dutch were driven out of New York a hundred years before the dates on the coins, and the coins didn't circulate much if any in New York, they circulated in Indonesia.

non_cents likes this.
  18. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great coin; nice toning! Q. David Bowers lists it in his, " Whitman Encyclopedia of Early Colonial Coins". And he notes that it is not a colonial.

non_cents likes this.
  19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Leave it to Conder to come up with this example!

Good one.

non_cents likes this.
  20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Actually, they are called coins because they circulated as coinage.

non_cents likes this.
  21. non_cents

After a little more verdi-care treatment...
    1783 wash.png

Draft saved Draft deleted