New cent and nickel composition?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by medoraman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

edited: lets keep it family friendly

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Welcome to the United Statres of America - soon home to aluminum coinage!

4. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

edited: lets keep it family friendly

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Um, please change the subject guys. Family site.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep it is a paper profit (though back by the coins in storage) but it is that paper profit they are spending and now it is gone.

Oh and a lot of people say that the Mint can afford to lose money on the cents and nickels because of all of the profits from the other coins. According to the 2010 Mint report (most recent one) 94% of the Mints seigniorage profits come from the dollar coin. We have a "company" here that has trashed the product that they make most of their money on and kept the ones they lose the most on.

7. coinup

coinup Junior Member

noooo - not THAT company!

Why, they're part of the most efficient, best managed company ever!

8. IEFBR14

IEFBR14 New Member

It's my understanding that the mint does make money on the golden dollar coins because they sell them to the Federal Reserve for $1 each and not only that, but the Federal Reserve who stores them, eats the cost for storage as the Fed does not receive tax payer money to cover its operations (such as purchasing of coins and their storage).

9. IEFBR14

IEFBR14 New Member

They need to simply stop using the Fed's $1 notes and replace them with the mint's $1 coin.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Of course the taxpayers pay for this. Always remember the taxpayers gave the Fed the privilege of earning all of this banking profit. Every year they return most of the profits back to the taxpayers. If the Fed had to pay $10 million for storage of dollar coins, then that is just $10 million that they will not return back to us. Basically like a payroll deduction. You don't write a check for the expense, but you sure as heck lose money either way.

To those who say we should abolish the dollar bill, I agree 100%. Its simple and saves a lot of money, that is why they probably don't do it.

11. mgk920

mgk920 Nonhyphenated-American

Before 1933, gold metal WAS 'money' in the USA. 'One Dollar' was defined as about 1.5 grams of gold metal ($0.70 or so/g). As of Friday, the price of gold was USA$51.96/g.
    Some of the basic items where the constant works between 1912 and 2012:

Decent room in a downtown hotel:
    1912 - $2
    2012 - $150-175.
    A really nice room?
    1912 - $3
    2012 - $200-300.

Good beer in a bar?
    1912 - 5¢
    2012 - $4 and up

Daily newspaper:
    1912 - 2¢-3¢
    2012 - $1.00-2.50

Decent restaurant meal for the family:
    1912 - 40-60¢
    2012 - $30-50

First Class letter:
    1912 - 3¢
    2012 - 44¢ (Mail is a BARGAIN today! If adjusted for true inflation, a letter stamp would be about $2.50 now)

Etc.

I also agree, over the last couple of decades, changes in the the (M-2?) money supply is a better inflation measure (gotta love fiat money!).

Mike

12. fiftypee

fiftypee Member

I am speechless.

Draft saved Draft deleted