New 1816 Large Cent Variety with Counterstamp?? What is this?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by gradofan, Apr 1, 2014.

1. gradofan

gradofan Member

Hi guys,

I think I might have found a new variety of an 1816 Large Cent---

Check out the relatively high "6" in 1816; it's also slightly far out; I can't find another 1816 like it, and it wasn't any of the Newcomb varieties. The middle part of the "6" is also pointing upwards, unlike a regular 1816.

Also there's some counterstamp that says "R." with some reeding marks on it.. don't quite know what that means or whether it adds or detracts from the value..

I've also included the PCGS example of a regular 1816 large cent that has the normal "6" in the date, that's a lot lower than the "6" in my 1816 large cent... _DSC2978.JPG _DSC2980.JPG _DSC2979.JPG 13092868_32605254_max.jpg

Can someone help me determine whether this is something new or if I'm just delusional? ;P

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I don't know about the coin itself gradofan but the "R' is part of a counterstamp that mostly doesn't show on the coin. Some of these old style stamps are struck with raised letters within a saw-tooth or denticled depression. The denticles running above and slightly down the front of the "R" is part of the counterstamp. The period half way up the side of the "R" indicates there was another initial or name as part of the complete stamp. The marks on the reverse were probably made with a tool of some sort by the same person who applied the counterstamp. Since most of the counterstamp is missing it definitely detracts from the value. Good luck with the variety.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted