Negative Feedback On EBay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BHPM Trader, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

An associate of mine just got his first negative feedback on eBay. It seems that this buyer has left 100% NEGATIVE feedback in his last 7 transactions.

Take a look: http://www.ebay.com/usr/golgoloid

Just take a look at the feedback that he has left for others.

What a joke.... How can EBay allow a scoundrel like this guy to remain in their community?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

Thanks.... I will block him before he bids on my Cooper Zombucks and give me a negative.

BHPM Trader likes this.
  4. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Have your friend file a grievance with eBay. Given the circumstances, they will likely remove the negative and restrict the buyer.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I only looked at a few of the 7, but it looked to me like the opinions he left are accurate. Of course the problems were all visible in the auction images too, so he shouldn't have been surprised when he received them.

mark_h likes this.
  6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I got a page showing 108 positive with no neutral/negative.

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Click "feedback left for others".

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

There's always a catch :). Thanks, I see it now. I'll block this guy, too.

9. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Thank you - buyer blocked.

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

His feedback looks accurate to me as well. I see no reason to block him.

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Blocked.

While this buyer's feedback may not be inaccurate, his/her expectations are ridiculous. I checked 4 of the 7 sales, each of which specified that the return privilege was good for coins in unopened holders. While not wanting to defend sellers which may (emphasis on may) have mislead the buyer, negging sellers seems a bit extreme after breaking out their coins and grading them, learning only after receiving TPG opinions that the coins are not what he thought he was getting (more for less).

I have a small pile of hurtful reminders of bad purchases over the years. I do not resell those, but remember those mistakes every time I see them . . . lessons well-learned, for sure.

This buyer appears to want to make money buying and grading coins without first paying the dues that many of us seasoned collectors and dealers paid for many years before getting good at what we do . . . THAT is an unfair expectation. I've returned multiple coins to at least one of those buyers (will not name), because I could identify the problems in person before keeping or even submitting a coin. Evidently, this buyer believes he/she can buy apparent bargains, risk-free, and return the dreck.

I'm not saying some of the sellers do not deserve negatives, because I obviously do not have all of the facts. However, for every one of his feedbacks since July to be negative establishes a pattern . . . of either really bad luck with sellers, or very poor judgment as a buyer.

12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

With eBay buyer protection, there really is no reason to drop a neg on the seller unless you fail to receive a refund. As a seller, if someone thought my coin was overgraded (which, when selling raw, is a personal evaluation), I would refund full amount including shipping costs. This is proper protocol, and does NOT justify a negative.

13. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Then they should just get rid of the whole feedback system. allow automatic returns and refunds.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Feedback was castrated big time when sellers couldn't neg NPBs. Frankly I think you have to have determination and guts to sell on eBay.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I would not dispose of the feedback system. It is abused far less than the good it does for both good buyers and good sellers. I suspect that in this particular case, after being asked to do so, eBay will almost certainly review all of the feedback left by this buyer, scratch the negs for the sellers, and terminate his account.

Auto-returns for all items would be a real problem for sellers of silver and gold bullion, and would never pass muster with eBay.

16. coins776

coins776 no title

from what i can tell about the buyer, is that he must have came out of his ebay fantasy world on about august 23rd 2013. he might have had a revelation about ebay around that time. that must be when he started to figure out what most ebay items really are. overpriced, overgraded, overstated, junk, trash, garbage.

17. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence on this one.

The buyer is clearly a novice and is going by what the sellers say about the coins. He takes their word for it and sends the coins off to NGC expecting they'll come back graded what the dealer said they would. that's not too swift, and he's paying for his mistakes through grading fees.

I'm not saying it is intentional, but the sellers are misrepresenting the coins. For example, there is a Morgan dollar that says Gem BU ++ "Richly Toned Beauty". NGC says it was stained not toned. If the seller hadn't given his (over-hyped) opinion on grade, maybe the seller wouldn't have had such high expectations. But the buyer also might not have bid so much. So it's hard to feel bad for that seller because he's getting higher prices for problem coins.

-jeffB likes this.
  18. coins776

coins776 no title

what ebay sellers are doing by calling coins GEM BU++ (unless the coins really are that grade) is called mail fraud. for example, if a seller lists a common date morgan dollar that is really AU-55 cleaned and tells the bidders that coin is GEM BU++, then he will likely get much higher prices for those coins. because there will always be bidders who take the sellers word about the grades of the coins.

mrgooch likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

FYI, I send NGC stained coins to PCGS all the time and they come back graded. "Stained" means there is no corrosion present. Since PCGS has no such category, they grade the coins.

20. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

If any coin is SNAD, a return can be made even if the seller specifies "no returns", so basically the system has an automatic return policy/refund. The system works if done correctly... if, for example, you buy a coin and you feel it was misrepresented by the seller, you return it for a full refund. The seller obliges and reimburses you. Do you think this warrants a negative? The seller has done his part and basically has a "money back guarantee". Then, since the seller has fulfilled his obligation, you post positive feedback and state something like "coin appeared to be overgraded... returned for a full, no hassle refund." This is how feedback should be utilized, and let's other buyers know the seller honors his return policy.
    When you buy a coin on eBay, you're basically buying it "on approval". There is little risk involved. The buyer who is the subject of this thread is, however, abusing the feedback system.

21. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

The guy is abusing the system to some extent. He also seems like a novice, so it might not be intentional.

To what extent can you misrepresent what you are selling and still get away with positive feedback?

I assume selling a fake coin is beyond the line even though the buyer could get a refund.

But if it's real is it ok to try to dupe a novice by passing off a problem coin as BU or AU ++? Probably >90% of the time the novice will think he's got a great coin in his collection until he shows it to a dealer. I think it is fair for them to get a negative on the rare occasions when someone finds out the coin is worth far less than it was hyped up to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.