My first coin pics

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by IagoCoin, Aug 28, 2013.

1. IagoCoin

IagoCoin New Member

Someone in the introductions forum mentioned I should show off my coins - so here they are! Any inputs would be appreciated.

The gentleman on the front of this first one looks a bit like Vespasian to me, not sure. The image on the reverse side has me at a loss, however:

image.jpg
    image.jpg

This next one I have never identified. Two heads on one side, and perhaps a temple on the reverse?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Here is what's left to sift through! I look forward to posting one or two of these periodically on these forums:
    image.jpg

And finally, this is Gaius Crastinus. He keeps an eye on the books and coins for me:
    image.jpg

Let me know if you have any ideas, especially regarding the one with two faces.

Thanks much!

randygeki, spirityoda, jj00 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

hi Iago. I do not collect ancient coins yet. there are many ancient collectors in here that can tell you what you have. someday I wish to get a couple ancients coins. Greek with a bee on it. 1 with a beetle and 1 with a locust/grasshopper on it. as you probably can tell.... I collect world coins with insects as 1 of my topical/themed collections.... also I collect coins with hands and coins with certain stars. coins with small coins as the design on the coin itself. and a large MISC. section.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

At the moment there is another thread showing Bing's coin of Volusian with reverse matching your twin portrait coin. The double portrait limits you to a few choices but you don't leave a lot of detail here to be sure. Research coins of Antioch a bit an see who issued twin portraits.

...or tak a shortcut and click here:
    http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=493009

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

re1200bb0028.jpg

Compare your Vespasian to the above and see what you can find. This coin is a bit odd in that it uses COS ITER or Consul again rather than the more standard COS II but either way you can date the coin to early in the reign. My coin is on a small flan losing IMP at the start of the obverse legend but you can see it on yours so the two coins can be added together to get the whole legend.

Windchild, randygeki and stevex6 like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Iago, your pics look great. I particularly like the box of dirty old coins - what a great bookshelf piece. I think I'll steal that idea.

7. IagoCoin

IagoCoin New Member

Doug,

Great info at that link. Gotta love shortcuts! Thanks for the pic of the Vespasian coin as well.

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Interesting photos. Yep Vespassian fer sure. I have a couple of his silvers. I like your gladiator. :rolleyes: [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Windchild and randygeki like this.
  9. IagoCoin

IagoCoin New Member

Thanks, John. I should point out that there is actually a hidden surface under a few layers of these coins. :)

I like your sig

Draft saved Draft deleted