My 1968-S Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BadThad, Dec 15, 2010.

1. howboutatrade

howboutatrade Active Member

My 68 S from mint set looks pretty good...I would love to show, but cannot get the high res images clear enough to show the steps. How do you get that done?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

Tape a loupe to the camera?

4. coop

coop Senior Member

They probably aren't visible that year. It happened a lot on the late 1960's cents. The new single squeeze ones have them more pronounced than the late 60's cents.

5. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Nice coin! It's hard enough just finding a higher grade example without spotting, much less with a nice strike and an earlier die state to boot. I like it!

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I believe every single '68-S cent still in mint set packaging has carbon spots now. 95% of them are ugly from all the corrosion so you're very lucky if you have nice attractive ones.

7. howboutatrade

howboutatrade Active Member

Pictures through a loupe...well, definitely better than my other way of using the zoom. Need a good artificial light source now since most of my time collecting is done late, after the family is in bed.

Here is the reverse of my 68 and the steps....with better light, it will be better, however, still not OP good.

68 S Cent Reverse.jpg 68 S Cent Steps.jpg
    [​IMG]

8. EyeEatWheaties

I checked the Mint Sets I have and you are correct. The 68's are spotted. What a shame. Now, the 68S rolls look good, not quite as good as Thads. I pulled one of the best and shot it from 2 different lighting perspectives. The more I now look at the memorials the more I notice how crucial the steps are. Certainly FS is now on my list to check second after the Obverse. Thanks Thad! learn something everyday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The steps on the left side are a little better than this photo depicts. Lighting is everything.

[​IMG]

Then for kicks and giggles........................

[​IMG]

9. EyeEatWheaties

Keep trying! I had to set the camera on a table and set the timer. to get decent shots.

I shot this through a Olympus point and shoot 10MP on super macro with one of those $5 plastic lens, cone shaped loupes with one of those attached LED lights about a year ago. (before my current set up)

[​IMG]

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Right on brother! Merry Christmas cladking! You da man!

11. BadThad

Look at the first 3 steps or so in the middle. That coin is not FS....close...but no cigar.

12. BadThad

That's a nice one and great pics too! Sorry, not FS though, same comment as above.

Draft saved Draft deleted