Mother Of All Contests Framework

Discussion in 'Contests' started by spock1k, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

He's probably thinking, what kind of round can I dream up so that Kasia can pass up those four ahead of her! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Hallingood and jay4202472000 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

He went looking for da plane!!!

jay4202472000 likes this.
  4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i am thinking of what grand question can i ask for the next round? When i am not visiting doctors and my health that is.

jay4202472000 and Hallingood like this.
  5. Hallingood

Hallingood Member

Hopefully you are thinking more on a really difficult question for us. It is better than having to think about doctors. ;) Seriously though your health is more important than this contest. Hopefully things are improving in that department.

6. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Most definitely take care of ole Spock first. We'll be around when the time is right. My thoughts and prayers are with you my dear fellow!

Hallingood likes this.
  7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Very simple question and you have until april 20th to answer it. Points are upto 5 and a bonus 5 if i actually implement your solution. You have to come up with a complete storage solution for papermoney/currency notes. Now here is the fine print. The notes are all in stacks with a pin to keep them together. The pin cannot be removed so the entire stack/bundle has to be kept together and there are many stacks (over a few hundred).

Problems of foxing and humidity are routinely faced and cause a lot of these stacks to go bad. Your storage solution should allow the stacks to maintain their mint state condition :)

Happy planning.

8. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

1:if you have a safe like gardell you can put foam/rubber drips against the corners of the door and have a small container of moisture absorber, keep it in there. it will never change for the next 100 years, altho you will have to regularly drain the water out of the container but its well worth it.

2:if you have a boiler, and feel really comfterable or a water heater, keep the safe/plastic wrapped near there or a room away, simply due to less humidity near the "heat source"

3:buy a plastic container that have rubber seals and a lid, put some silica gel in there and leave the money sit there. boom a diy from kitchen and shoe box. haha

9. jay4202472000

Well, I've scoured the internet today and found a few options. After careful consideration, I believe I have came up with a safe way to store the currency, that isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I believe the outright safest solution would be the safe idea mentioned in the previous post. It would help to hinder a person out to steal, but at the same time draw the attention of a crook. That being said, safes are fairly expensive. My idea would be a lot less conspicuous, while still giving you a rigid, waterproof, and affordable container to house the stacks. My suggestion is:

US GI X-Large Hardigg Hard Plastic Waterproof Storage Chest, with Wheels.

It is 32.5" long by 21" wide by 20" tall, and can be purchased for $149 from Coleman's Military Surplus. Here is the link to the item:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-g...erproof-storage-chest-with-wheels-p-2863.html

As an added measure, you could line the top with silica gel packs. Maybe tape them to the top, just to make sure the notes don't contact the chemicals. You can get a pack of 20 on Amazon for $5.98. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0038N30OY?pc_redir=1396279318&robot_redir=1

Hope this helps.

10. Kasia

What is a pin (that you use to keep them together)? How big are the stacks (each) .... and what are the sizes of the notes?

11. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "foxing"?

12. jay4202472000

From PMG glossary:

FoxingFoxing describes small spots or discoloration stains on a note, often caused by mold or fungal growth on paper. It may also be cause by natural paper oxidation.

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

the reserve bank uses a stapler to pin the stack together :D each stack has hundred notes the biggest notes are the size of the dollar bills and the smaller ones are the size of fractional currency

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

It saddens me that even PMG cant distinguish between mold and foxing. Foxing is entirely moisture driven and does not spread from note to note fungus on the other hand is a disease that spreads.

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

guys it is very important that you store the stacks in something. that should be part of your answer ;) think it through even the pins will rust ;)

Kasia likes this.
  16. Hallingood

Hallingood Member

Get these 1 gallon* mylar storage bags here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003X87CFW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

You should be able to easily fit 6 or more currency stacks into each bag. It also includes 60 (one for each bag) Oxy-Sorb Oxygen absorbers which would protect against rust on the staples. To remove the moisture you can also throw in a few of these silica packs into each bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Desiccants-Packets-Dry-Packs/dp/B004FC53YC/

Then seal each bag airtight with a iron. (you could use a vac sealer if you want to get more of the air out of each bag but you still might want to finish it up with an iron as there was some comments about the vac sealers not being hot enough to make a permanent seal)

Stack them in a safe for theft. A fairly inexpensive safe can be be bought here:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html

*As a slight modification to the 1 gallon bags they do have pint size (one stack in each bag) and 5 gallon (would hold the most currency stacks) sizes to choose from as well. I chose the 1 gallon as it would nicely hold 6 each laying flat. That way you could easily stack them on top of each other.

17. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Almost forgot about this... have to try to stay in the running.

My idea is similar to some of the others. Get a "Food Saver" or similar product. It's a vacuum pack sealer, if you don't know. I don't know if a Food Saver is available in India but I would think something close may be.

Pretty basic. Vacuum seal the bundles of notes. You can get different size bags for the sealer and / or make you own size. Then, place the individual sealed bundles in some plastic storage containers, large or small. That way they would be easy to stack. if they are going in a safe, they should stack okay as well. This would be relatively inexpensive way to solve the issues presented.

18. Kasia

Ok. Time to answer.
    For your bills:
    This is somewhat of a two prong approach. The first is to envelope and protect the stacks and the second is to then store the protected stacks in a container that is controllable as to air flow and to be able to handle storage easily.
    So I looked to document protection (books, for example) and have come up with this strategy:
    1. You create your own individual wrapper for each object (in this case a 'stack') out of either archival cardboard or other material or with mylar of a thickness that would be suitable for this. You have to measure the height, width, and depth of the individual stack, and put in a small allowance as extra, possibly something on the order of 1/32" so that the wrap does not touch the edges so much that stress allows it to encroach on the edges. Pretty much called a four flap enclosure. Here's two examples of this:
    four flap enclosure.jpg

and wrapper-open example.jpg

2.) Next, you will want to put the wrapped stack in it's own individual container, again you can make your own and make it out of archival material, probably cardboard, or use a size that you get already made. Much will depend on where you will then store these boxes. If they are too large, it doesn't allow you to really put them in another container, which I think is important for really long term storage, and to prevent bugs or other (dust, humidity, etc.) problems. The purpose of this is to 'cradle' the wrapped stack in a shell so that any accidental mishandling of it won't lead to damage that is unintentional. Here's an example of an archival box to use:

archival box.jpg
    Note: in both steps 1 and 2 you do not want to have 'air-tight' wraps. Part of a good storage system will allow a certain amount of air-flow.

3) This step is really important, because your archival box will be larger than your stacks and you do not want the stacks shifting around. So you make your own dividers for the box out of a hard acrylic or other material that will not introduce fumes or other byproducts that could harm your stacks:

box divider.jpg
    Note: you will have more parts to each than this shows. because you want to use the 'center' portion to store your wrapped products. And it is possible, depending on your storage box, to have more than one stack in it, but however you do it, you want to have the stacks remain 'flat' rather than on an edge. And depending on the archival box you use, you may be able to 'stack' the stacks in it, with a hard acrylic piece between each stack.

Last part is this one: to get a suitable container to hold your boxes, which will prevent air flow you don't want and to retain proper humidity controls and prevent bugs. I like the dog food storage containers like these (the have round openings so the other box you use will have to be able to be put into these easily). I like it because it still allows a certain amount of 'controled air/humidity and you can also place dessicants in it to help as well. You can open these occasionally to introduce 'fresh air' in when you have a good humidity as well. I think this should prevent any foxing or rust issues in notes, and for what I would imagine might be a quite humid environment (India) would be sufficient for long term storage.
    Here are two examples of what I use for dog food and I have never in 7 years had any issues with spoilage or moisture (though I am not in a particularly 'humid' place) or with any bugs getting in (and I do live in 'ant heaven', but can usually keep them the ants outdoors. When the ants have invaded the house, they have always stayed away from these containers, so I have to assume the ants don't know the food is there. :) ).
    gammastackables.jpg and gammatall.jpg

As you can see, this approach, though it takes basically four steps, does allow for proper document storage as well as controlled environment and I think is a good sound one for you. You might have to use other items, if these are not all available to you, but the basics are here. It presumes upon thinking about your bills as bound documents instead of bills that simply get inserted into a mylar sleeve, and it allows you to also put a label on each wrap so that you know what is inside it without opening it each and every time. Good control method.

Hope you like this suggestion.

19. jay4202472000

Spock hasn't been on in over a week. Hope all is well bud.

20. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

ph, dont worry he just got something really cool...
    i hope. :(

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

There is an age old debate whether airflow is good or bad for paper money. unfortunately storing paper money is a completely different ball game and even within paper money different countries use different compositions and sometimes even within a country different denominations use different compositions.

I am posting the points table jay has 32 points so anyone who has less than half of jays points cannot expect to win this. So i am not posting points for them. This leaves 5 contenders. There will be 3 further rounds all with negative points. If the person on the leader board does not play the round they automatically lose 5 points. Seeing the way the contest has shaped up so far i think jay has one hand on the coin. Best of luck guys.

Next round shortly :D Dont expect to answer that question just hope that you dont get negative. The gloves are off :D
    jensenbay 1 2 0 2 4 5 1 1 3 2 21
    heuvy31 1 2 0 0 3 5 0 1 7 0 19
    Hallingood 2 2 4 0 5 5 3 0 2 3 26
    jay4202472000 2 5 3 5 3 5 3 1 3 2 32
    kasia 0 2 2 0 0 5 5 1 3 5 23

Kasia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted