Mother Of All Contests Framework

Discussion in 'Contests' started by spock1k, Oct 4, 2013.

1. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

The Contest – There will be 10 rounds and points will be awarded at the end of each round. Some rounds may be more valuable than others. The person at the end of Round 10 with the highest points wins. Simple? Not quite. If I feel there is a close enough contest between 2 or more individuals depending on how the contest pans out there might be 2 additional bonus rounds. However at the end of round 12 we definitely will have a winner.
    I will be the sole judge of whether we will have those additional 2 rounds or not.

The prize – 1/10 Oz gold eagle or equivalent. The prize will be sent out by jaceravone. At the end of round 10/12 or before then I will send the funds over to him and he will mail the coin out to the winner. We should take a moment to thank him. Without his help the contest would never have materialized. Also he is a rare person they don’t make people like him anymore. In case the winner is not able to receive the coin due to international shipping restrictions/ other restrictions a cash prize of $160 will be sent to the winner via paypal. Even if gold goes upto $10000 an ounce the maximum amount of contest prize money will still stay at $160 but if gold falls to 100$ an oz you will be stuck with $10 but then we are playing to have fun :D.

The fine print- I will be the sole judge of how many points will be awarded to the contestants per round and my decision will be final and binding. There may be rounds where no one might score a single point that does not mean disqualification. Also disqualification from a single round does not mean disqualification from the entire contest. I also tend not to keep good health from time to time so at times if I am not there for a few days there is nothing to worry about.

Winners responsibility- The winner agrees to come to the forum and confirm the receipt of their prize after they have received it. If they do not then their name and address/paypal address will have to be revealed to the entire forum along with proof of mailing. I care for your privacy but at the same time we all remember the dak contest. No matter what GD says I am not going to go poof.

Nice to know – You are not playing this game with your fellow contestants. You are going to play this game with me. You might want to visit indiacoins.org to know how I think and maybe that might help you then again it might not.

Let the games begin

EDIT - One thing spock - you need to keep the entire contest, all rounds no matter how many you have, within this single thread. In other words you are not post separate threads for each round of your contest.

silentnviolent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Simple round to begin. You may only post once in this thread. All you have to do is tell me what you would like to see in one of the remaining rounds of the contest. If i like what you say you get one point. If i love it/use it you get 2 points. If it bowls me over then you get 3 points. But only one post and one idea. Also you cannot use an idea that someone else has already posted.

Round closes 10/10/13 forum time. So if your entry is not marked by then you will just have to wait till round 2

4. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

I think in one of the round's you should ask people some clues about a certain coin and they guess the date, and the coin and or variety. Someone who's close gets 1 points, 2 gets if they got the right date, and 3 if they got the type and date correct and or variety. Like it?

spock1k likes this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

In one of the future rounds I would suggest posting an unusual Morgan VAM or large cent and have us ID it possibly even grade it as well

spock1k and jello like this.
  6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Slight modification of dak's round. Dump a pile of coins and put 10 gold (or pick something) in the pile. 1 point per coin found. Obviously you have to have a large pile of coins.

spock1k and wiggam007 like this.
  7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:) Is round #1 just to see how many folks sign up?

8. ck1of2

ck1of2 Member

One round should consist of a contest to identify a coin, or coins, strictly by the metal composition. The percentage of silver is X and the percentage of zinc is Y, etc. As a bonus, other attributes could asked if they are tied to the coin such as dates and design, historical reference. The point system could be devised as seemed fit, but most likely multiple coins should be offered to increase point accumulation and competition.

9. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

World coin id... just show the reverse? side of a number of coins and see who can id them with the most detail. Only one post allowed, of course. BTW thanks for the contest.

edit.. ck1of2 just beat my post with a similar idea.

10. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Here is my suggestion:

Even we when look at and study world or ancient coins, how many people, except for the people who truly take the time to research them, know how the actual coin denominations work together. There is the obvious of say, a crown and then half a crown, but how does that work together with the penny and the shilling? Or in Indian coinage, the anna and rupee.

What I would suggest is a series of problems like what would be given in a grade school to help kids learn the denominations (i.e. you have two quarters a dime and three pennies and need to pay forty-six cents for a bill, what combination(s) of change could you give? What would you get back? What is the combination which would give you the smallest amount of change back?).

The problems can start easy and then throw in some real doozies to separate the field. It would force people to research new systems of coinage and actually learn how they fit together.

11. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

I think the contestants should design their own coin, or maybe a CoinTalk token, created for a fictional convention!

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It would be fun to make predictions on the price of gold within, say, $10 at the expiration of a round. Might make a good tie-breaker at the end too.

spock1k, ck1of2 and jello like this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Identify the coin series for which the total face value of business strikes minted exceeds that of all others, comes closest to a target value chosen by the OP, or to some other target.

spock1k likes this.
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I propose each contestant develops and posts a thread consisting of 1-3 parts ( posts) demonstrating an important concept of the science of numismatics without the large % being self develops rather than taken from other on-line sources. Such threads could consist of positive effects or negative defects. Examples I will give here should not be used as actual threads as each should be personally proposed by the contestant. A positive thread could be on "How to tell a proof coin". A negative piece could be on "How to do a squeeze coin". Of course not to encourage such from being done, just to increase one's knowledge when making such determinations themselves. Others could be on grading aspects, magnifiers, microscopes, chemical analysis, etc. A person could use their own examples of coins, etc. or with proper attribution , other sources.

spock1k likes this.
  15. enochian

enochian silver eater

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I would like to know who made this edit? There were no rules prior to this posted anywhere that all rounds need to be within a single thread. So is this a new rule being formulated just for this contest?

I have written to Peter. I will wait to see how he responds. I will also request the participants to kindly wait for Peter's response before proceeding with this contest so as to not waste their valuable time.

This is the text of the message that i have written to Peter. We need to make sure he is fully on board before we run this contest. If i cannot even be given the liberty of creating a few threads to manage this contest then it is not fair that i waste the contestants time and run this contest at all.

Hi Peter,

I am running a contest. Can you please ask the mods not to merge threads. My framework thread was merged into the round one thread. I will have to create 10 separate threads for 10 rounds in 10 weeks plus the frame work thread and the points thread. If they keep merging it, it will lead to clutter and become impossible for me to manage and run the contest. If they want to merge all the different threads at the end of the contest into one big thread that is okay with me. Thanks.

17. enochian

enochian silver eater

should make a guess on what the op fav coin is and how many he has of that type

spock1k likes this.
  18. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

well, being an amature collector/hoarder i dont think i have enough knowledge to decipher clues on a coin as in GAJ's suggestion, Morgan VAM?? dont think i ever seen one an would'nt know one if it fell in my lap, pick a coin out of a pile? well i know what a morgan looks like (even got a few) along with anything dated after 1900, i think, so i may have a chance there, as for ck1of2's suggestion? lol, well i know a nickel is made of nickel, a penny is made of copper an silver an gold coins are made of silver an gold, bout it, dont think i'd have much chance there, world coin id? hmmm think i know what a peso is, mexican right? oh nvm ferget that one! oh no! wiggam007 is suggesting math? yikes! my worst suject, that one is definatly out! ok design a coin? sounds interesting, but art? nahhh i'll pass, hmmm predict the price of gold? hey, a no brainer guessing game? yea i'm good fer that one! what ToughCOINS suggested, ummm say what??!!ok lets see, desertgem suggeted, ummm ok nvm, sounds like a teacher suggesting a topic for a book report, nah, been there done that, dont want to do it again, well, so far it does'nt look good fer me :( so how about something for us who do this strickly as a fun hobby? like, lets see, who's picture is on the front of a lincoln penny? or whats the name of the building on the back of a jefferson nickel? what does VDB stand for? what is the motto on a kennedy half dollar? ok i,m done rambling, have fun with the contest everyone!

19. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

The guess how many coins in a jar is always fun, how bout that for one?

TypicalCreepahx and spock1k like this.
  20. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

I think one round should be to guess the grade of a coin.

TypicalCreepahx, spock1k and ck1of2 like this.
  21. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

I think you should take and make one were you post a small piece of the coin you then have to guess the coin grade and the price it realized on ebay or auction, one point should be given for eah part of the question so 3 points is the max on each contest ! This will make it a little harder and a lot more fun and think to it thanks for the chance to have a great contest like this ! Sean

spock1k likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted