Most over rated coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stainless, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

It gets confused in a world-wide forum like this.

Ruben

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Sorry Ruben,

Should have been more clear. He is not an IKE basher, he is an IKE collector. His set is mint state set is ranked 20th and his proof set is ranked 11th in the NGC registry. Would a been a good fight between him and Ben me thinks.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Well, Ben will have better days. He's still finding his sealegs :)

HEY ALL YOU IKE COLLECTORS - Here is a very long and poorly written INSULT

oh Sorry - take it light! I didn't mean to insult anyone

BUT IKES REAL DO STINK

sorry --- never mind

5. Andrew67

Andrew67 Clueless

LOL i guess so.

6. coop

coop Senior Member

Well some look nice.
    [​IMG]

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Cool...

very cool.

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Personaly I think Ike's are a good solid looking coin, the design is great and I also like Ike :D

What is wrong with this design :D

[​IMG]

or this one?

[​IMG]

9. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Any issue except die varieties since 1964

Any issue except die varieties since 1964 - plain and simple they are everywhere - anyone can find them, their mintage's are monstrous, and there is probably less than 10 coins in the 45 years that are truly rare by any standard except for some bullion and die varieties, and grade census coins.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Not in Gem states...in fact, Gem Ikes are likely rarer than Gem Morgans.

Ruben

11. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Did I somehow miss and Ike bashing party???

Did I somehow miss and Ike bashing party???

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t38354/#post387318

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Originally Posted by mrbrklyn [​IMG]
    Well, Ben will have better days. He's still finding his sealegs :)
    HEY ALL YOU IKE COLLECTORS - Here is a very long and poorly written INSULT
    oh Sorry - take it light! I didn't mean to insult anyone
    BUT IKES REAL DO STINK
    sorry --- never mind

Some Ikes I like. Perhaps we should start a thread depicting the Ikes we like.

Back to the subject of this thread, I feel the 1909-S VDB is over rated. You can find one of these common rarities in almost every dealer’s case & you won't find one in my Lincoln cent collection.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

A defend your Ikes thread? You first...

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'll start it with a photo tonight.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Shhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Fixed.

18. Yahya

Yahya Junior Member

Ardatirion makes some excellent points!

But consider, for a moment, this thread from my point of view; viz. a non-American's.

First of all, I haven't a clue sometimes what you are all talking about: - what's an ASE? a vdbc (or whatever it was)? They're just alphabet soup to me. No, I'm not looking for an education right now! Just giving another perspective. So while you guys might be sick of the sight of them, or hearing people talk about them, they'd probably attract quite a bit of interest anywhere else - simply as representatives of some other part of the world.

Secondly, as an Aussie, I reckon all those large pennies and ha'pennies I grew up with are fairly boring - except for a couple that are hard to find - but I'd still have the very first US quarter I ever picked up in change at the milk bar as a kid, if it weren't for a very involved series of circumstances that are irrelevant right now. It was such an interesting and, yes, a different kind of coin.

After all that, I'd like to paraphrase Ardatirion's sentence: "Personally, I think all US coins are over collected" thus: "Personally, I think all coins of just about any country are over collected by the citizens of that country."

Or more precisely, perhaps: Any coin collected more by the citizens of the issuing nation than by those of all other nations is probably not quite as noteworthy as the first group of citizens think it is.

Of course, we have to allow for pride in one's country and community; in a very real sense, coins, stamps, medals and banknotes represent a significant part of the shared cultural capital of a nation or community. And so that "everyone ... [should] have an opportunity to collect", it makes sense that many of us begin by collecting the most interesting coins we find in pocket change (or stamps on the envelopes we get in the mail). In some countries where poverty is endemic, even that form of collecting is simply impractical.

And I, too, would "take a unique coin over a coin in a unique grade any day". I''m not a condition collector; all I ask is that the major design features of the coin are reasonably easy to discern, because my interests centre more on design and history than on monetary value. (Of course, if I do get a coin in excellent condition, I try to keep it looking good.) But rarity, by itself, doesn't much interest me, except in so far as it hinders my completing a series or set, or (sometimes) even seeing a good likeness of an object.

So although I do have a moderately complete collection of commoner Australian types, I'm actually much more excited by my Chinese collections, both the cast "cash" coins (mostly bronze) and the machine-struck silver dollars. I also have the nucleus of a collection of many different kinds of token, which I aim to grow gradually as circumstances permit. And I'm now reading up on East Asian charms (China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam), and looking forward to beginning a representative collection of some of the better designs - considered as miniature artworks.

In the sense that these collections are personal and idiosyncratic, are not driven by monetary value, and (to some extent) are not chosen because they are fairly accessible, I don't expect to contribute greatly to the kind of "over-collecting" that will make it harder for other collectors to find what they like. But anyone who aims first and foremost at acquiring the rarest specimens certainly does contribute to such over-collecting. I suspect that if we all collected just what we actually liked and enjoyed, in itself, the competition between us'd be a little less severe ...

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

fixed??

20. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm voting for all the first day of issue coins even though I've bought three of each of the FDOI presidential dollar issued so far by the mint. Why am I buying them; I don't know? Call me a fool but I'm also still investing in the stock market despite the PONZI scheme that it represents?

Draft saved Draft deleted