missouri tax recipt coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jako lipo, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

You're right there Conder. Something that I would not have thought of.

First a milk bottle cap (man, the things I should have saved).

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPS-DAIRY-...7QQihZ004QQcategoryZ10906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and a milk bottle

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSPHG-MILK-BOTT...2QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and yes, I remember these being delivered door to door by the milk delivery man, and he had a horse drawn wagon he came around in during the wee hours of the morning while I was out delivering newspapers.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Holy cow!!! I had no idea milk bottle caps were bringing this kind of money on ebay. I have quite a few of these that I used to use as trading stock with other collectors.

In 1963 there was a widespread promotion in this area in the area schools. In the 12 oz bottles they would use a special cap with the presidents on them and everyone was trying to assemble a complete set. Unfortunately most of them were impossible to locate and it seemed only the Kennedy and Lincolns caps were easily found. (Washington and Adams too). Years later a friend gave me a complete set of them. A few years back I learned that these went for up to $10 per cap but I'd lost track of the set. Ironically I had started a milk bottle cap collection before this and had only two of these. You guessed it; Kennedy and Lincoln. Fortunately the set turned up and it was added to the collection.

The bottles were made of glass and had a slight lip about 1/3" down inside the bottle. The cap was just a 1 3/4" disc with a little cutout in the center and a staple (usually) under this tab so you could lift it up to remove the cap. Caps usually had the list of ingredients and the name of the dairy but sometimes they were "stock" tokens which just said what was in the bottle. Bottles were specially made only for the biggest dairys but most used their own caps.

There was a second kind of cap which fit over the entire top of the bottle. These usually contained the disc as mentioned above inside the top of the cap (it was a two-piece cap).

My experience as a collector is that the caps tend to be pretty common or quite scarce. If one or two people saved them they're common. If the dairy had excess supply that was saved then they're also common. Otherwise they are pretty scarce. Paper objects like this don't survive in the ground and they weren't very highly valued. If you're interested in this sort of thing your best bet is to find a large batch that are very cheap and trade them with other collectors. It would be prohibitively expensive to try to assemble a collection at a few dollars a piece and many of these are so common it's hard to believe they can ever be enough collectors to absorb them all. Figure there are 5,000 to 10,000 of the more common ones and there are probably many with no surviving examples.

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Ah yes I remember it well. Way, way back when I was a kid I used to visit some relatives in Misouri. Every I time I went there they gave me one of those. I have several rolls of them. Many of the .001 were red plastic, some green and some grey. Don't know why. The only .005 ones I ever got were metal of some sorts. I haven't seen them at any coin shows for about 40 years now. Probably never will be worth much since most being plastic they could be massively reproduced.

5. karrlot

karrlot Senior Member

Isn't that the way it always seems to be?:D

6. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I went and looked and noticed I made a previous mistake. All the Red Plastic ones from Missouri are .001, have Missouri Tax Token written on both sides in a circle, have the 1 in the center with 2 small circles around them. It is the .005 ones that are weird. They are in Dark Green, Light Green, Grey plastic and some grey metal ones. They also have the 5 in the middle with 2 small circles around that, Missouri Tax Tokem writen in a circle around the edge. All of my .001 and .005 are the same on both sides. None have a map of any state on them. All were received from one relative somewhere back about the 1940 to 45 ara of time.

7. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Missouri ????

I have some tax tokens from Washington, Mississipi, and Missouri, which is where I'm from. I recently found a dog tag which says
    "DOG TAX"
    "MONROE COUNTY" -which is right down the road.
    "1940"

I have some other tokens which I'm not sure about. One says "GOOD FOR ONE FARE" "SAN FRANSISCO". I'm assuming its for either the bus or trolley, and looks pretty old. also i have a bunch of little red light-weight ones which say "OPA" "RED POINT" and have a "1" in the middle. These were mailed to me by an elderly relative in the San Fransisco area. I also have 3 metal chip things with ridges cut into them, and they say "TELEFONO" in the middle, and numbers at the bottom, for example "441"
    anyone got any ideas on any of those?

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

SF transportation tokens come in many different types. Some are scarce and some are common. The OPA red and blue point tokens are from WWII and are very common except there are a few different letter combinations which are scarce. The others are telephone tokens from Italy and the numbers are the date of manufacture. The first two number are the year and the second two are the month. The most common is 7808. I don't believe anyone knows if there are scarcities among these.

9. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Your from all three of those states? How is that possible unless you were born while in a moving van or something. :smile :smile As to the Dog Tax I am not sure about where you live but around me there are still dog tags that state Dog Tax and best not get caught with a dog without one.

10. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I meant I was from Missouri. I can see where the confusion came in though. I had no idea dog tax was still around. In fact, untill I found this old dog tag I had no idea dog tax ever existed. Thanks for enlightening me though. I learn somethin new every day.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Dog tax, dog license same thing. most areas require dogs to have their shots and to be licensed but many don't enforce it unless your dog gets in trouble. Then it is one more thing to use against you. Just remember a license, unless it is given to you at no charge, is still a tax.

12. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

\
    Wish they would do that with some of the people I live near.

13. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

AdamL, if you can post pics or provide more description (diameter, metal, any cutouts, features, etc.) I will try to id it for you. I don't have any refs for the OPA tokens, but I think it was either a "W" or "WW" that was the tough one for the red series.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are no W's in the red tokens, they are all in the blue tokens. Four of the W varieties are a little tough but they are available. The rare issues are the MM, which is scarce, and the key is the MV which is rare. More of the MV's have been coming to light and the prices have been falling. An MV is maybe a $75 dollar item and there are probably about 200 or so of them. (In 1970 there were only 24 known.)

15. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMHO simply the best of all of them. New Mexico 5 mills -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Arizona
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted