Miniature Coins? Anyone got the story on these? Lots of pics...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Antiquity, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Antiquity

Antiquity Junior Member

My Mother went to visit my Grandparents (Denver Colorado) who are now pushing into their eighties and my grandpa has started to give some of his stuff away. He was a part time coin collector. Anyway she brought these back for me, she said he purchased them from the denver mint. I found them interesting and figured id share these and see if anyone has any knowledge about these or could tell me anything about them.

The Cent at the top is a regular size Cent put in for size reference, Then the ones below it are the minis. I also took some closeups, here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mainly just looking for any information on them. Were they sold in gift shops? Are they made from the same metals and alloys of a regular coin of that type? Are they collectible, rare, valuable. etc etc etc. Thanks! :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

All i can tell you is they were not made my the U.S. mint other then that i cant say.

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

5. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

Cool stuff. I have one. You have almost a whole set.

Mini.jpg

6. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

yes for magic tricks, i use to have one of i think a nickel

7. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Good indicator of the buying power of our dollar. Pretty soon it will be so small they will be microns then atoms across.

Cool set, sellers still sell these on-the-bay.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

plenty of past threads on these and some YouTube videos on how they are made, use the CT Advanced Search tool too dig up the threads on mini coins and you'll find links to the folks that make and sell these novelty items.

here's one such thread: Mini coin set

Empire Magic: Mini Coins

9. Antiquity

Antiquity Junior Member

Thanks for the replies everybody, nice to know what they are much appreciated.

Sometimes one just doesnt feel like searching. This was one of those times. Im sure theres a thread already out there for every subject on this forum so why dont you go post this in every other thread while your at it.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

No reason to be ungrateful, nor lazy, especially when your clearly not lazy enough for a snarky reply. See how far I help you next time champ!

Draft saved Draft deleted