Milk Spots - Revisited

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Any new info on removing milk spots? I was looking at my 1.5 oz Canada polar bear coin yesterday and it has developed some spots. They were not there when I bought it. It sounds like I'm stuck with it. I wouldn't mind so much if it was on the queen side but it's on the bear side.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Are you sure which side is which : - )

mikem2000 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Did you ever try it?

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No. I don't have any myself, just waiting still :)

7. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I ended up taking the coin back to the LCS where I bought it. They were very kind and exchanged it for a spot free one.

8. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I have some spots on some 60's Cameo halves I would like to remove but have not tried. I would assume the TPG's would remove them if there was a way to do it. I have not heard of one. Yes I did the eraser deal and on bullion that is fine but not on one that has numismatic value.

9. Kentucky

desertgem said:
    I am going to try Oxalic acid ( I am not sure what concentrations I will use ) when I actually find a coin with milk spots. Maybe that is the good news :)
    Did you ever try it?
    Kentucky,Yesterday at 1:52 PMReport
    I brought home some oxalic acid from the lab and tried soaking an older wheat cent in it. It really removed all the brown toning, but left the coin with a kind of matte surface. I put a bright new cent in the solution for several hours and saw no deterioration. Will do more studies. Don't think it would hurt the silver, but also don't know if it would do any good.

Draft saved Draft deleted