Milk Spots - Revisited

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Death Valley Days.........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Great show!

I used to do some work at Edwards AFB...and the 20 Mule Team Museum is just north of there...in Boron, CA.

Pretty cool, actually. They have the actual wagons on display. Nice place to visit if you find yourself in that area.

4. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I tried ammonium hydroxide with detergent. Nothing, just very clean silver with milk spots.

I wonder if Borax would help dissolve borax, if that's what really causes spotting. It's hard to believe the mints would keep using such a substance if it actually causes spots.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am going to try Oxalic acid ( I am not sure what concentrations I will use ) when I actually find a coin with milk spots. Maybe that is the good news :)

6. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

dude seriously??? after i just said i wanted you to post your shipped 2013 ASE Set pics in because u were a voice i respected? BORAX AS A CLEANING AGENT THE MINT USES THAT LEAVES MILK SPOTS?? incorrect. INCORRECT. borax is used to smelt silver and gold because it makes the metals "slippery" and pour easier and even has some minor "refining" properties. it is not in any way shape or form used as an actual DETERGENT like it's normal purpose as a clothing detergent.

i cannot believe so many people jumped on this bandwagon and continued the conversation in the direction as the mint using BORAX as a cleaning agent. yeesh.

7. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

further...milk spots cannot be washed out or off. i say "out" because it is a cleaning agent the mint uses to prep the blanks. this agent is not properly washed off. when they anneal (heat) the blanks, thie cleaning agent actually has a chemical reaction with the silver and becomes CHEMICALLY part of it. there is no washing milk spots off. that would be removing part of the metal (silver) of your coin. it is part of your coin.

8. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

let me refine (pun intended) that. you CAN remove a milkspot. but just as the OP said, you will be removing some of the silver from your coin and reducing it to the value of melt.

9. green18

Do we bore you rysherms?

10. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

I am just an angry person

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

A while back, Doug and I were discussing Milk Spots...and I needed some examples for experiments. I went to the local coin store and the guy I spoke with wanted to charge me a "premium" for milk spotted ASEs...just because he know I wanted them...(knucklehead). Later, I spoke with the Owner and he cut me a nice deal!

Nothing I've tried up til now hasn't gotten rid of them. :( I haven't tried the techniques in the video, yet...(maybe...) :eek:hya:

12. green18

Oh the pencil eraser Technique is just priceless. No luster breaks there...........

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Replace "Man" with "Milk Spot"...and "Hair" with "ASE"...

[video=youtube_share;dUtSrN_W5I8]http://youtu.be/dUtSrN_W5I8[/video]

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That's funny

15. Kentucky

Something sticks in my mind about the blanks used for proofs undergoing a polishing process with alcohol and borax, but I can't find anything about that with a cursory google search.

16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I started looking, too and found this...(too funny)! :too-funny: This is why you should "Just say NO" to drugs. [video=youtube_share;abK_N8DhClo]http://youtu.be/abK_N8DhClo[/video]

17. green18

He gloves one meaty hand with with a knitted mit (my wife bought a ton of those things for workin' around the house and about the only thing they're good for is cold weather) and leaves the other glove-less whilst proceeding to to smudge the edges and rims with the finger printable hand. I don't think that white powder was borax..........

18. Kentucky

After 2 min, I couldn't stand listening to him scrape this coin. BTW does this Einstein believe that anyone is going to accept this as an NGC MS-70 after he busted it out?

19. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

My guess is he sniffed some of that "Borax" in the beginning. This made him think to put on one glove (which still probably hurt the coin more than help it), touch the coin with both hands on the faces, and rub his glove-covered finger repeatedly across the coin. Actually, he probably had some older "Borax" laying around that made him think to put an NGC MS70 Eagle in a Chinese made "Air-Proof" container. People are geniuses!

20. Has anyone ever tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on milk spots? :rolleyes: :smile TC

21. green18

Oh you devil.....:)

Draft saved Draft deleted