Milk Spots - Revisited

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

The eraser will leave scratches, I've never tried cloudy ammonia, and you can get rid of them with jewelry wipes, but if you rub to hard and fast, visible hairlines will be left behind.

4. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Cloudy ammonia is only available in Australia. I've looked for it far and wide. As best I can tell it is basically just diluted household ammonia cleaner with soap, and I did pick some of that up but haven't tried it out yet.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Haven't used it in years, but Sudsy Ammonia should be available in most grocery stores. The ammonia (ammonium hydroxide or aqueous ammonia for you purists) will saponify (make soap of) and remove any grease while the soap will do its soap thing and clean off any gunk. Doug would have you believe that any soap will leave behind irremovable traces, but thorough rinsing with hot water and a final rinse with distilled water should do the trick.

6. PeacePeople

Did you try any of these?

7. Kentucky

Someone just reported in another thread that they tried Verdi-Care on silver milk spots and it removed them. Wonder what BadThad has to say?

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

:eek:

9. Muckdiver

Muckdiver Member

I have a question regarding these Milk spots. Do they only appear on the Maple Leafs or do they appear in other coins as well? I recently bought the silver 1/2 ounce Newborn baby coin and I'm hoping that it doesn't get milk spots like my maple leafs.

I've also wanted to buy some other coins from the Royal Canadian mint but have been hesitant because of milk spots?

Is it simply on the Maple Leafs or has anyone seen them on any other Canadian coins?

10. Slider

Slider Member

I used a brand new eraser once on a handful of the Canadian Timber wolves. Didn't scratch a thing, and yes, it worked.

11. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Good luck with that. The TPG'ers can detect an erasered coin.

12. Kentucky

Do you REALLY believe that? Do you own a magnifying glass?

13. Slider

Slider Member

Yes, I do own a loupe and I sold 11 of them a few months back for $65 per, with no objection from the buyer.

I used an eraser made for artists that removes adhesives from paper without smudging it. It's softer, a bit "stickier" and doesn't erase pencil or ink. Perhaps I should have been clearer, but the fact remains that it removed the milk spot with no ill effects.

14. Kentucky

ok

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They occur, in some instances, on ASE's too.

16. statequarterguy

5oz'ers too. The quarters rolls from the mint are really bad. Has to be the wash the mint uses isn't rinsed off. They're probably saving a ton of money, using some cheap toxic rinse made in China and not rinsing with water. What the heck, the health affects will be minimal, maybe.

17. PeacePeople

The cause of the milk spots is they borax is not totally washed off before the annealing process. The problem is they don't appear right away, it takes a little time and then they appear.

18. statequarterguy

Oh, well, that's ok?

Toxicity
    Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic.[22] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats:[23] a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The lethal dose is not necessarily the same for humans.

Sufficient exposure to borax dust can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure."[24]

Borax was added to the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) candidate list on 16 December 2010. The SVHC candidate list is part of the EU Regulations on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals 2006 (REACH), and the addition was based on the revised classification of Borax as toxic for reproduction category 1B under the CLP Regulations. Substances and mixtures imported into the EU which contain Borax are now required to be labelled with the warnings "May damage fertility" and "May damage the unborn child".[25]

19. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how to remove them because i got a couple dozen collectible silver rounds in the other day and many have milk spots.

I tried a pencil eraser on one. That left little scratches. So one round is only worth melt now.

I soaked another in laboratory grade ammonium hydroxide, but it had no effect. Am I understanding correctly from the previous replies that you have to add soap or detergent as well?

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What was that stuff he used? Sudsy ammonia? Depending on what I've been drinking there is a product very similar..........I'll leave it at that.

Well the Indians did it with animal hides..........:devil:

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted