milestone contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by swish513, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Lucy, I am in the same boat as you. I went on ebay to look up the types of ancient coins and just drew a super blank and felt very dumb while reading about them :yes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

we have a WINNER!!!

here it is:
    136-119bc.jpg

western han dynasty, emperor wu of han (141-87 b.c.), ban liang (minted 136-119 b.c.)

congrats greatwalrus!! send me your address via pm and i will get your nickels sent out to you!!

thank you everyone for playing!!

4. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

Wow really? I have very little knowledge of ancient coins so I did some research to find what Chinese coins were made in BC.

Awesome! Thank you. :D Finally won a contest :D:D

5. GreatWalrus

LOL same. On the roman and greek coins, I have a hard time differentiating between what is the emperor/rulers name and what is the denomination of the coin.

6. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Congratulations Wally! Good pick!

7. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Swish, approximately how big is your new coin? I mean, is it big, or small? Just curious.

Nice contest.

8. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

One more note..I looked up Old Testament coinage, and saw a picture of a very beautiful coin, a Persian Daric (sp?).. now that was a pretty coin!

:)

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Congrats to GreatWalrus and thanks to Swish for sponsoring a fun and educational contest. I know I learned something.......:)

10. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

congrats walrus!!!

11. swish513

it is 23mm, or a little smaller than a quarter. and it's copper, if you were curious.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Only one on that list was alive in BC times. :)

Your contest may be very hard Swish if you want an exact answer. There are only about 100,000 types of coins struck BC. My guess would be a bronze of Alexander the Great. Nice coin, good price, and attractive if you get a nice one. If its not your first one, maybe look at getting one. Everyone knows Alexander.

13. medoraman

Sorry I didn't see this had been won. The dating of these are in contention. Yours is the smaller size, so later. If you want to see an impressive specimen, take a look at the earlier specimens. I have quite a few of them between 33 to 38cm in size. Btw, Liang is the name for a unit of measure like an ounce. Ban is half, so the coin was literally "half ounce of bronze". The early specimens are half a liang, but the later ones shrank. Its an important coin, though, basically its dimensions and size would set in stone for the next 2,000 years the size of Chinese coinage.

I am very pleased you reached out past European coins for your first ancient. Cool. :)

Still may want to get a nice Alexander bronze if only for bragging rights, lol.

14. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I know that, and that was octavian, remember that they didn't have emporers until bc 27, and octavian died in ad 14

15. swish513

my original plan, before i got hooked on cash coins, was to purchase a republic denarius or an iceni silver unit (both coins are still on my "to buy" list). had my first been an iceni coin, i never would have held a contest. i can only imagine how long it would have taken someone to guess that one! :rolleyes:

16. medoraman

Well Iceni might have been tougher, but Celtic would have been guessed eventually. Actually, Iceni would have been an AD coin wouldn't it?

17. swish513

no, there are a few examples from mid to late 1st century b.c. it would qualify, barely. the inscribed ones are a.d. while the uninscribed ones are b.c.

18. medoraman

Yeah, you are right, I was thinking Queen Boudicae I think.

19. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Cleopatra silver denarius coin.

20. medoraman

I would like to see a Cleopatra VII denari. I am sure the Romans of the day would like to know how she would have managed to have a denari struck as well.....:)

21. GreatWalrus

Received the coins in the mail today. I like them a lot. Thank you very much swish!

Draft saved Draft deleted