mexican coins and the best ones you've got

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I have about 165 Mexican coins in my collection. Most of them I got out of the 5/$1 boxes at coin shops and shows, although I did buy a bunch from a dealer in MI last winter. Nothing special but I do have an 1895 5 Centavo and 1954 20 Centavo that were in my Grandpa's collection, and I also found a 2008 Peso in circulation last year.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

The stunningly beautiful 1910 Caballito [little horse or pony] coin has appeared two times on this thread. Not having one, seeing it broke my heart twice. This situation will soon be corrected, even at the risk of blowing my budgeted monthly coin allowance in one pop. [LOL]

Anyway, I was so taken by this coin that I did the research necessary to understand its symbolism. Learned that this is a commemorative coin that celebrates the beginning of the War of Independence -- 1810-1821. As fate would have it, the centennial of the War of Independence coincided with the Mexican Revolutionary War -- 1910-1920.

The Caballito was minted from 1910 to 1914 and was struck in a couple of editions. 1911 strikes had both a short ray and a long ray pattern design and there was a 1912/3 over-date strike for 1913. The 1914 mintage was rather limited, making this year coin difficult to find.

As for the symbolism ..... Libertas [Liberty] is riding a small prancing horse [freedom from binding oppression]. The torch in her left hand is held high in triumph, lighting the way forward to a bright future. She holds laurel branches in her right hand as a peace offering. The rays of a rising sun behind her symbolize the beginning of a new day, as well as a bright, shining future. The sites researched all state that the Caballito is the most beautiful of all Mexican coins. Understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I firmly agree.

From this point forward, I'm reading this thread with one eye closed. That way I will lust after only half of the coins being shown here. [LOLL] [2nd L = louder]

4. mumu

mumu Junior Member

One of my fav coins

Attached Files:

Derick likes this.
  5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my favorite in my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derick likes this.
  6. Honolulu Dick

Magnificent! Absolutely magnificent!

That 24 gr, 2-peso is one beautiful coin. An eye appeal winner, for certain.

The Roman numeral dating [clever] suggests that it is a centennial commemorative, celebrating the War of Independence from Spain ---- 1821-1921. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous Libertad with us.

7. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

I have some many of them,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

For the last couple of years, on April 1st, I offer to trade someone my 1831 2-Reale in average circulation condition for a shave and a haircut. No takers so far.

Does a Pillar Dollar minted in Mexico City count?
    1770-8Reales-Obv.jpg
    1770-8Reales-Rev.jpg

Derick likes this.
  9. fireandice556

fireandice556 New Member

I'm also a lover of the Spanish Colonial Pillar / Columnario series. Here's one of my better specimen of the type-series :
    - Mexico 1763 MF (with a repunched 6) of Carolus III

[​IMG]

Close up of the '6' on 1763
    [​IMG]

10. Honolulu Dick

April 1st or not, the song tag-line is ----- shave and a hair cut, six bits. There is more, however, it's intended only for those who are dry [very dry] behind the ears. Just having a little fun with words. [LOL]

11. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

12. Honolulu Dick

OK! Thanks for the correction/ info, and especially to the Wikipedia link. That was a good read. Knowing the history increases appreciation.

The last Barber Shop songfest I attended they used the 6-bits version. Probably the result of inflation. Anyway, it sounds damn good both ways as a tag-line. Just love that close harmony!

Thoroughly enjoyed the reference to Vietnam and use of the tap code. When we were hunkered down in our bunkers during mortar attacks, we would drill each other in the use of this code. Doing so occupied the down time, gave our minds something to do, diverted our attention and gave us a false feeling of being prepared, just in case. The way we were taught, the letter K replaced the Q, but that was in the in-country boonies and not the comfort of a classroom.

To make light of an otherwise serious situation, I kept telling my fellow boonie rats that all "they" had to do was make me miss one meal and I would tell them anything "they" wanted to know. If I didn't get the beans, I sure in hell would spill them. Big time! [LMAO]

Nuff said.

13. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Okay, lets see some reviving to this thread :D
    Here is one of mine.

[​IMG]

Derick likes this.
  14. Honolulu Dick

HOO-RAY!!! SALUT-TAY!!! BANSAI!!! Or as they say in Hawaiian --- HO OHO!!!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I was so taken with the beautiful 1910, Caballito coin that I was willing to shoot my monthly coin budget in one pop to obtain one. Saturday past, the Menehune coin fairy, named Minta, blessed me with a 1911, long ray Caballito. It was in one of those u-do-it flips, with the staples badly rusted and the white paper turning yellow, filed in a 20-pocket page, kept in a 3-ring binder. It appeared as though the coin had been in inventory for a considerable period of time and without the dealer having up-dated the price. The flip was marked at $55.00. Since I was purchasing a couple of other coins as well, he let me have the Caballito for en even $50.

Not knowing what a Caballito was worth, I spent the morning hours searching around on V Coins to learn what dealers were asking. None of the 25 dealers listed in the World and Ancient category was offering a Cab. Then I checked with Littleton, no results. So, I headed out blind, but with the thought that Cabs were not going to be all that easy to find. When the dealer placed that shiny, nicely detailed, AU Cab in my hand, and for only $50, I started to levitate.

Once home and having more time, I continued with further research. Learned that on 1May10, icollector.com sold a 1910 Cab for a lowly $30. Was I ever deflated! I began to seriously second guess myself. Then I learned that a 1913 Cab was sold for $52 on Collectibles-Articles. Now I'm starting to be happy again. Finally, I checked with Black Mountain Coins and saw a slabbed 1911, long ray Cab in AU 58 priced at $349.99. Mine looks to be as AU as the AU they are offering. Now I'm really feeling good.

A couple of days have passed and when I look at my newly acquired beauty, I ask myself --- What would I rather have, the money or the coin? The answer --- It's all about the coin, dummy, it's about the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted