Mexican coin 1872 un peso

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by the collector, Aug 15, 2006.

1. the collector

the collector *Aussie Coins Collector*

Hi, my mum had this box full of diffrent coins from diffrent countrys that she had collected through her chilhod and i was wondering if the coin from which i think is mexico is worth something. This is what it says on the coin REPUBLICA MEXICANA 1872 on the front it says UN PESO M(small O)M. 902.7 is it worth anything ???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. the collector

I forgot to mention the South-African coin too. there is a springbook on the front and it says 1958 south-africa 5s and on the back Georgivs VI REX IMPERATOR. i hope this information helps you tell me what is it worth cheers

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The collector,if the South African 5 Shillings was dated 1958,then it would have Queen Elizabeth II's portrait & the legend 'ELIZABETH II REGINA'.The only 5 Shillings from South Africa that has 'GEORGIVS VI REX IMPERATOR' (GEORGE VI KING EMPEROR) is the 1947,which was issued to commemorate the Royal Visit of the Royal Family to South Africa.

Aidan.

5. the collector

hi and thanks for ur reply but does that mean the coin is fake or its an error because it does have the georgivs VI rex imperator and its 1958 cheers

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Can you post a scan of the SA coin (both sides) Please :smile

De Orc :kewl:

7. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

I assume that the mexican coin looks like this:
    [​IMG]

how close is yours to this one condition-wise? This one is for sale for about $40

8. the collector

Hi, thanks for the Mexican coin advice now the south african one i just scanned both sides cheers

Attached Files:

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

With George VI in his grave for six years before the date on that "coin", what other explanation is there? [​IMG]

BTW, [​IMG] to CoinTalk collector.

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Would not kick it out of my collection even if it is shall we say suspect LOL

De Orc :kewl:

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Definitely a dud!

The collector,this is definitely a dud.The soapy grey colour also gives it away that it isn't even silver.It looks like one of those concoctions made in China & landed on some poor sucker who thought it was real.

Aidan.

12. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Exactly right Aidan.
    Someone has taken the obverse from the 1947 Royal Visit 5 shilling KM#31 and somehow paired it with the reverse of a Queen Elizabeth II 5 shilling KM#52.I can't tell if it's cast,electrogravure (or whatever that process is called for copying coins?),stamped or spliced but it's a fake.

13. the collector

thanks guys and about the south african i will still keep it even though its fake lol :cool:

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Mikjo0,it is definitely not silver,but it is a very good forgery.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted