Mailing Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by centsdimes, Jul 4, 2012.

1. peter1234

peter1234 Member

In the UK I've had several problems on receipt and sending.If a coin rattles in an envelope it is obviously too tempting for some post office workers.I have had some chancers saying they never received a coin.Registered proved someone signed for it and they have withdrawn their claim.
    95% of people tend to be honest.One woman gave me a neg because I didn't accept a return.It was perfectly described and photographed.I refunded her paypal and yet nothing has been sent back.Scumbag and now a blocked buyer(I wasn't the 1st).There was also an Indian (Asia) who bid and won on loads of coins but never paid.You can't give a buyer negs...read feedbacks before sending.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

That's nothing. I've ordered from some real clowns before.

One taped the coin to a piece of cardboard from a cereal box (very lucky the tape didn't damage the coin).

One put the coin between two layers of cardboard that barely covered the coin, and then wrapped it in about 20 layers of packaging tape. I had to very carefully dissect their "tape cocoon" open to get the coin out, very lucky I didn't scratch it.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You've given good info, but useless to the OP as you haven't realized that he/she is not in the US.

5. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

Yes, I am from the US. (I'm the OP, aren't I?)

6. peter1234

peter1234 Member

I use self seal little plastic bags (about 2x2) and as cheap as chips.Once taped inside the jiffy bag(bubble envelope) seems to be the best option.
    To stress most people are honest especially coin collectors.(we tend to be above the norm:yes:)
    I have even sent coins over the pond with the buyers full understanding that they are going airmail for £2 at their risk.Insured costs about £8 which on a £15 coin why bother?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are many sellers who package their coins in these "one-sided" flips because they're cheaper. Even if they were to contain PVC, a few days in one while in transit should not damage a coin. They just wouldn't be recommended for longer term storage.

Chris

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Another thing I wanted to mention is that I like to use the Safety Mailers. They are made of corrugated paperboard and are self adhesive. There are two sizes so they can fit into a regular or legal size envelope.

http://www.jpscorner.com/Bubble_Safety_Mailers.htm

Chris

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes... useless to ow9654 but not (the OP) centsdimes. Come on, Rick.. get back on the ball! :)

I believe "OP" to stand for "Original Poster", so yes..

You are right, of course, and why I only said they can be a turn-off. It seems that too many buyers nitpick, so why take a chance at giving such a person something to complain about, especially when talking a few cents difference. Not using PVC could/should be seen as more of a courtesy than necessity. JMHO.

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

That is easy for someone else to say. I'd like my coin to be in the original condition, not damaged in shipping. If I order a coin that isn't slabbed and it isn't in a flip, cardboard mailer, or some equivalent protection, and it is through an auction, I'd notify the seller and make a comment in feedback about packaging being marginal or unsatisfactory.

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Oops! Sorry. I don't know why I thought OW was the OP.

12. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

For slabs, I wrap them in Kleenex, tape the Kleenex securely, and ship them in a bubble wrap envelope.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

What do you mean you wrap them in Kleenex?

I use the same method for slabbed coins or raw coins in 2x2's. The coin is placed inside a Corrugated Safety Mailers -- #6 Size which is then placed inside the folded paper invoice which is then placed inside the 5"x9" bubble mailer. Print the shipping label from either e-bay or paypal onto self adhesive labels, affix, and send. Once the cost of the insurance exceeds the price of registered mail, I use registered mail. IIRC, it is in the $700-$800 range.

14. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Depends on the coin, of course. But the thread started: "...I was thinking about well-worn single coins, particularly large cents."

So, no, you wouldn't handle uncirculated coins that way. Postage eats up your profits like crazy, and if slight modifications in your packaging and shipping can cut your costs in half, so be it. The best example I can think of, drifting from a non-machinable letter into a non-machinable package. Going from 1/4 inch to 5/16 inch thickness does it, unfortunately.

Example from the USPS website:

2 ounce non-machinable letter = $0.85
    2 ounce non-machinable "package" (over 1/4 inch thick) = $1.95

15. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

I've never heard of non-machinable packages before I started this thread. How do you get them?

16. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

It is a category of "fees" by the USPS, not a physical container. It is also a racket by which they squeeze million$ a year out of postal customers, on the theory that a non-machinable mailpiece cannot be run through the machine and must be cancelled by hand, thereby using more time and resources. For over a hundred years, there was no such distinction. Sorry I can't tell you when it started, but I "think" since 2000.

But if you mail small lots, it definitely affects your profits, I guarantee you.

The same distinction applies to overseas mailings, except the price difference is even greater between "letter" and "package," even though they may look the same and weigh the same.

17. centsdimes

centsdimes Active Member

18. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

For all you guys putting coins in regular envelopes your just looking for trouble. Regular mail is machine sorted and the sorters love to eat hard objects in them.
    Cost more but I ship all of mine up to several hundred dollars in bubble pack mailers, over that it goes to Priority mail boxes.
    I buy the #000 mailers in bulk but if your only doing one every once in blue moon you can get them at the post office or in five packs at Wall Mart.

19. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I received a $250.00 PCGS slabbed coin that the slab was broken in half shipped that way once. Needless to say it was returned is a better way.

20. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

By the way, if you want bubble mailers, I bought mine on Amazon for about $4.50 for 25 of them. You can get bubble mailers very cheap on Amazon. Another trick I've found: If I take a bubble mailer to the postal clerk, they always charge me $1.95, but if I use the automatic postal center machine, it's usually $1.30 or less. It's because the clerks charge for it at a more expensive package rate, whereas I use the large envelope rate on the machine. I've never had a problem doing that.

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I bought my mailers from eBay for 7¢ each. So, I bought a 2 year supply, it will still pay for itself. And I use PayPal for my postage. $1.64 for up to 3 ounces and you get delivery confirmation for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted