Looking for an opinion on a grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swerths, Apr 5, 2014.

1. swerths

swerths Member

Hello All,

I recently bought some silver war nickels on Amazon on a lot that was described as "lot of ten random dates and grades" so I was expecting junk silver. I was pleasant surprised to find three of them looked like this one that I'm posting. I was just wanting to get everyone's opinion on the grade.

Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated.

Swerths 2014-04-05 20.26.13.jpg 2014-04-05 20.25.37.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Nice Piece
    I think maybe in MS 63 er MS 64 range.
    Nice luster but little nicks and a rim damage.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think it might be a good idea to rinse that coin in some acetone, looks like what might be some PVC residue on it.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks like it to me as well.

6. swerths

swerths Member

This may also be from my lighting, i haven't quite figured out how to get my lighting corrected for more accurate pictures.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Ehh... if I were you, I would take the advice to heart.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Low MS, and I agree about the possibility of PVC.

9. swerths

swerths Member

I was under the impression that you were not supposed to clean coins, that it decreased the value of them. Is acetone not a form of cleaning?

I don't want to seem like I'm disregarding the information that you all are giving me, I'm just asking questions, that way I know for next time.

Again all of your feedback is greatly appreciated.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The use of acetone has been discussed many times, so if you search older threads, they're likely to answer most of your questions.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Acetone removes particular types of foreign debris, but leaves the original coin (that is, everything that was present on it when it was first struck) intact. In that sense, it is not the same type of "cleaning" from putting it in an acidic solution because it does not react with/change the original surfaces.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And that's exactly the problem with 1 word (that same word) for 2 different things. The misuse of that 1 word confuses people.

There is cleaning, and there is harsh (or improper) cleaning - 2 different things !

Cleaning is perfectly acceptable, sometimes it is even necessary for the protection of the coin. And it does not decrease the value of a coin. On the contrary, it can sometimes greatly increase the value of a coin. Cleaning is NOT harmful to the coin.

Harsh, or improper cleaning is never acceptable. And it always decreases the value of a coin. Harsh cleaning IS harmful to the coin.

But when people talk about it, or discuss it, or write about it, they typically only use 1 word - cleaning, or some form of it such as clean, cleaned, cleaning. When that is NOT what they should be saying at all.

So yes, rinsing a coin in acetone is most definitely cleaning. So is rinsing a coin in xylene. So is rinsing a coin in distilled water. And so is dipping a coin. They are all forms of cleaning, and if done correctly they do not harm the coin are perfectly acceptable.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted