look at this chinese fake coin company website

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by moonjosh, Oct 22, 2011.

1. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

Tell me, are "replica" dollar bills legal here in the USA? And what happens if I am caught with one?
    Legally, is there a difference between a "replica" and a "counterfeit" dollar bill?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Like any law, one has to read carefully:

304.6 Marking requirements for imitation numismatic items.

(a) An imitation numismatic item which is manufactured in the United States, or imported into the United States for introduction into or distribution in commerce, shall be plainly and permanently marked "COPY''.

If you pay for the item then commerce is taking place and you are in effect breaking the law as it is written. The fact that the law is not enforced like that does not mean that it could not be.

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I am so SICK and TIRED of going around and around and around like a broken record with this that I will probably not be responding any further to this thread or any other thread as pertains to replica coins for the forseable future. I know how to read and comprehend English. Clearly, replicas are not popular on here and the lot of you people are interpreting the language of a law as you see fit and are believing what you want to believe. The lot of you want them to be illegal to own, import, produce, etc., even for personal use (and be more like Canada, as in less rights and personal freedoms!) but can't believe that they are not that you are either living in a delusional fantasy world or have a complete lack of critical thinking/English comprehension skills which were never developed (most likely due to a lack of higher education). Whatever the case may be, I don't care and I'm done with this endless racetrack.

5. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

I see everyone bringing "laws" into account for everything said. I personally "have to" follow laws that my profession and job requires. However, they are laws needed to keep the peace per say. That said, the laws regarding numismatics, is different but I wouldn't always abide by them when it comes to such things as "A seller in China can legally make reproducing Chinese coins made before 1949 (before the People's Republic of China) perfectly legal".

To me and IMO, it is not "ALL" about laws. It is mostly based in the hobby and what it represents. Look, coin collecting is about the study of metals. The study of metals such as "coins" in this case. Coins are studied for many reasons. I personally study and collect them for their historical, beauty, natural colors and for knowledge of that period. A coin (metal, when authentic) has a meaning to collectors to where it takes them (me) back in time and appreciate the historical purpose of our or other countries purpose in creating them.

So with that said, a "LAW" does not and shouldn't come into play when people are reproducing, lying about the coins and in general scamming others for a simple buck. To me, it should all be stopped, one way or another. Everyone should keep the honest, HONEST!

I specialize mostly on "Toned Coins" and I ask myself, "don't we have enough issues, problems, and scammers when it comes to this"? Yes, but we still have the Chinese supporters who keep buying this junk. So what exactly is the point of "coin collecting"? Now, just imagine what a newbie/s think when they read about this?

At this time, me writing this, I am enjoying a nice bowl of Chinese white rice with spicy, sweet and sour chicken stir fry with broccoli lomein noodles. There is no LAW for this and I don't see a problem with this because there is no way to scam or sell it as is to anyone else because EVERYONE knows what the heck it is.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Could delivery to the buyer be construed as introduction into commerce? Also every time the law has been quoted a comma has been omitted which muddies it a little bit. With the comma after "or imported into the United States" could this be seen as three separate possible violations? Manufacturing here, importing them here, or commerce here, any one of which would require them to be marked? If you manufacture them here but don't sell them are they legal? Yeah I'm making my own counterfeits but I'm not spending them or selling them.

7. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

In a free market system shouldn't the seller have the right to sell coins marked as replica's and let the market decide their fate. Rather than having government intervene.

8. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

That law doesn't apply in China! As someone else pointed out, China is an independent nation, with its own laws and mores.

Canadian laws apply in Canada, US laws apply in the USA, and whether we like it or not, Chinese laws apply in China!

9. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Dead thread :) last post from 10/2011

Obone and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted