Let's see your newest acquisitions!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Feb 25, 2011.

1. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I dropped by my local B&M coin shop a few days ago and came across this very respectable 1909 VDB Lincoln, which makes coin 2 of my US type set. Well, I think it's respectable anyway - you Lincoln experts might find something wrong with it, but that's OK. For a few bucks, it's perfectly fine for my set.

1909vdb.jpg

Paul_62, robec, Effigy303 and 6 others like this.
  4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

It's a gem in my eyes :)

John Anthony likes this.
  5. John Anthony

Thanks Angelo. I know little of Lincolns, but the detail was crisp and the color and luster were attractive.

jello likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Most here know I dont care for wheatbacks due to being so darn common but thats a nice one.

Mines about the same grade but brown.

John Anthony likes this.
  7. John Anthony

Common is what I can afford. I thought of doing a full-blown US type set, which I could do, but I'd rather spend that money on ancients. For now, a 20th-century set will make me happy. I'll have to shell out a bundle of scratch for the Barbers and SLQ's as it is, since I want uncirculated coins.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Mines a type set that I completed in 2010 *minus gold* and ive been piecing it out little by little for big ancients.

Just have trouble letting go two u.s. coins for 1 otho :/

John Anthony likes this.
  9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

John - if the coin is as nice as the picture then it is very very nice coin. Good pickup.

10. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Cool "colonial" token I picked up, considering sending it in for grading...
    image.jpg

mark_h, robec, Effigy303 and 3 others like this.
  11. John Anthony

Thank you sir. The pic is an honest representation of the coin.

12. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

That's an awesome pic. I try to photograph my wheat cents, but my setup always creates a problem where the rim of the coin looks too thick and I can't include the whole thing. Do you have a photo of your setup somewhere?

13. John Anthony

It's nothing fancy, Canon Coolpix, small copy stand, a few desk lamps. I set the white balance and exposure manually, switch to macro and click away. Editing in photoshop is minor - white balance tweaks, luminosity, contrast. I need to readjust my lighting techniques for moderns though. That pic came out OK, but I've got dozens of crappy ones, especially of silver. I'm so used to ancients with dark patinas that I'm really having a hard time lighting bright silver so that it comes out right.

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm 10 coins away from a compete type set my 20th c portion is pure crap as it's the early stuff I love 3 are gonna be tough without them I could complete it within the year the small eagle and half will be tough as will the 93 liberty cap

John Anthony likes this.
  15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Rev sure looks like a shadow of Lincoln may grade as a striking error ? But we know Tpg details cost also they could be a wasted cash unless still Red?

16. John Anthony

It's a trick of the lighting. The coin shows no evidence of a die clash in hand, and I would call it RB.

I'll post this Jefferson as well - picked it up along with the Lincoln and finally got a photo I'm halfway pleased with.

The inner right column is crooked. Is there some crooked column variety in these, or is it an indicator of die deterioration? - or something else?

1942s.jpg

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

John;

I would post your question and the picture in the error forum. A lot of so called errors are actually caused by die deterioration. They would be a good source to judge the cause of the column lean, over there. I'm curious myself.

John Anthony likes this.
  18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I just got the penny last night, but I've had the nickel for a couple of months (purchased from a fellow forum member). These are the only slabs in my collection. First, a MS 65 large date 1960 penny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a PF 67 1958 proof nickel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mark_h, Effigy303, Paul_62 and 2 others like this.
  19. Mainebill

image.jpg image.jpg Just won these 2 tonight sellers pics I'll post more when I get em probably the end of the week

geekpryde, spirityoda, mark_h and 6 others like this.
  20. Mainebill

1896 pcgs ms -65+ 1887 NGC ms 64*

21. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Mainebill likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted