Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

2009 Fun Show2-tile.jpg
    Got this at my first FUN show....looking to go in 2015

Eng, longnine009 and Circus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Nice token dwhiz. I'd like to get to the FUN show some day, but it's a long run for me. I have some FUN exonumia but got it from eBay.

Bruce

dwhiz likes this.
  4. dwhiz

I had to wait till I retired and my son has a house right down the street from there. It's a 16 hour drive for my but I enjoy the trip

5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

6. dwhiz

won these last night....sellers pictures CHESTER COIN CLUB MEDALS 1968 ClASS K4s PACIFIC PA RR, & 1969 WM. PENN 1835 1.jpg CHESTER COIN CLUB MEDALS 1968 ClASS K4s PACIFIC PA RR, & 1969 WM. PENN 1835 2.jpg

7. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Found these today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Another fantasy dollar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eng, longnine009, Circus and 2 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The reverse is reminiscent of the Barber's Head Dollar, Judd 1555, but the bust is completely different. Maybe it's a replica of another pattern dollar - I don't know them well.

10. yarm

yarm Junior Member

"The reverse is reminiscent of the Barber's Head Dollar, Judd 1555, but the bust is completely different. Maybe it's a replica of another pattern dollar - I don't know them well."

The closest I could come up with is J-1615/6.

John Anthony likes this.
  11. BRandM

J.Sch 1.JPG This is one of the fanciest counterstamps I've ever seen. Although the workmanship is a bit crude, it's still very appealing.

Who issued it? Not sure, but I came up with a longshot. Brunk lists an example of "J.Sch" on an 1866 2-Cent Piece. This one is on an 1825 Large Cent and barely fits on the coin which means that it wouldn't fit on the 1866. Apparently Sch is a very rare surname...probably German but not positive. He also lists an "F.A. Sch" which may or may not be related to this one.

In any case, there was a company in Tuttlingen, German that manufactured surgical instruments named Jetter & Scheerer. It was founded by Gottfried Jetter in 1867, but established operations in the U.S. in the 1890s. At some point, probably in the early years of the 20th century they began to manufacture military daggers and bayonets for the German armed forces. Their products were marked "J.Sch." on the blades of the weapons. The earliest example of this mark I found on a bayonet was 1938. The style was much more modern than the stamp on my coin, but mine may have been an earlier version. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any earlier J & S products stamped "J.Sch." to compare. I think it's a longshot that this was Jetter & Scheerer's mark, but you never know.

Bruce

Attached Files:

Eng, Circus, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

H8_Modern I bought a C.O.I.N medal like yours last month. I can't find anythng about them through google. Do you know anything at all about it or what became of the organization. I'm wondering if they became NY International Numismatic Convention or maybe merged with them?

13. BRandM

I remember when you posted yours longnine. I tried to find out something about the club at the time too but came up short. Found a few examples of their medals on eBay but that was it.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  14. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I had a fishing buddy who would say "What do you want, a medal?"

[​IMG]

dwhiz, Circus, Eng and 2 others like this.
  15. longnine009

16. longnine009

#1 Before I post the image for the 9th Infantry Division, I'd like to post some Vietnam history about them. //// Their 2nd Brigade had the unusual ( perhaps even bizarre to them), distinction of serving in the Mobile Riverine Force in Vietnam. They operated both on their own and with the Navy in Task Force 117.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  17. longnine009

#2 The other thing is their unit insignia is based on a 15th century tradition of the octofoil. The octofoil represented 9 sons in a family. The 9th son, in the center of the octofoil was then surrounded by 8 brothers. Some of the troops referred to their insignia as the psychedelic cookie.

http://9thinfantrydivision.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/patches3.jpg?w=584

18. longnine009

#3 9th Infantry Division, Camp Bearcat Vietnam, brass, C/A, 4.4 grams, 21mm (5cent size), Cunningham VN1040a. Same both sides. CAM01355-1.jpg

dwhiz and Jwt708 like this.
  19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

(I may have showed some of these coins by them self in a past post's, i just want to show all the coin's or woods we make each year now).

In the fall 2013 we have the State fair, the PNNA( Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association) puts on in the hobbie hall a booth, were kids find there birth date in a pile of cents, then they get to pick any world coin of there choice to get them interested in coins, some of these kids have been coming back for ten years. each kid gets one elongated cent to.
    Last year was our first year that they offer a elongated cent, i made over two hundred in a 4 hr. period, very busy.

DSC05141_opt.jpg
    The PNNA also will let the local clubs use there new machine, you have to buy the die for it..We at the Boeing club bought a die for our coin show last January 2014 and we handed out our own elongated cents for our 2014 show.

DSC05142_opt.jpg

We also make make an encased cent for the first time, for our 50th. anniversary 2013

DSC05143_opt.jpg
    DSC05144_opt.jpg
    Every year since the 60's the have made for the Boeing club a wooden nickle with a image of year before coin that we have minted.this was for our 50th. year club.

DSC05145_opt.jpg
    DSC05147_opt.jpg

Every year we have a coin minted,1.5oz. Pewter,Copper and Silver, early years Gold they made them 1.5 oz.....

Copper 1.5 oz. minted coin..

DSC05148_opt.jpg
    DSC05149_opt.jpg

dwhiz, Circus and Effigy303 like this.
  20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Keep bringing those kids back every year. They are a great source for new blood into our hobby.

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the history and you know I'm digging that token!

Draft saved Draft deleted