Let's see your Conder Tokens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moonshadow, May 12, 2010.

1. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

Does anybody else have Birmingham Workhouse tokens?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Cumberland 1 halfpenny.

[​IMG]

4. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Member

Hi Collectors!
    It's been nearly two years since I started this thread. Although I haven't aquired any Conders recently, it's always nice to revisit the site and see what everyone is posting. There are quite a few really unusual tokens here!
    About a year ago, it became difficult for me to continue collecting, because there was no one close by anymore to share my hobby with. I really needed an outdoor activity to keep myself active and motivated. So I returned to my first love (horses). Since then, that's where my money goes. My horse may not be the best financial investment, but she is wonderful all the same and we have a bond that is truly special.
    It's really enjoyable to see all your lovely Conder tokens- I still have my collection and still enjoy seeing yours too!
    Moonshadow

5. Larry Moran

Arms of Glasgow / God of the River Clyde

New acquisition this week.

Scotland, Lanarkshire, Glasgow DH1. Arms of Glasgow / God of the River Clyde

Token is semi prooflike.
    Struck in 1791 by Matthew Boulton and partner James Watt at Soho Mint, near Birmingham.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chlorinated and thecoinczar like this.
  6. Larry Moran

Token in previous post is DH 2, not DH 1. Simple typo missed. Sorry.

7. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Member

Really nice Glasgow token Larry- how many of those do you have now?

8. Silver$$$Baby

Silver$$$Baby New Member

How much did you pay for this token? Can someone sell some uncirculated ones to me? I am a new collector and would like to purchase some this week to add to my token collection.

9. yarm

yarm Junior Member

In the US, two good sources of uncirculated Conder tokens are Bill McKivor at thecoppercorner.com and Gary Groll at grollcoins.com. This board as well as the PCGS and NGC message boards will periodically include Conder tokens for sale.

These days nice uncirculated Conder tokens can cost $100 and up depending on condition and rarity.

If you don't have a Dalton and Hamer (D&H), there is a free version available on the internet. It's really indispensible.

Happy hunting!

10. Larry Moran

Hi, Moonshadow. It's been awhile...

I own four examples of River God tokens now: three of this DH-2 issue,
    and one example of the DH-9 issue.

11. ThalerKing

ThalerKing New Member

Nice photos boys... I have never been into tokens however there are some really nice examples in this thread. Cheers for that.

12. Larry Moran

This is a new acquisition which I purchased from yarm. : )

Middlesex, Pidcock's DH 414, a prooflike haflpenny token with some toning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chlorinated and thecoinczar like this.
  13. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Buying into brown

Sometimes the subdued look of a chocolate brown token is all I need to take the plunge!

[​IMG]

chlorinated likes this.
  14. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I like how it has a rim on the reverse that looks like the 2 pence.

thecoinczar likes this.
  15. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I love this new piece, courtesy of yarm! :)

1790s_Somersetshire87_Bridgewater.jpg

16. Larry Moran

Suffolk DH-15 from Joel Spingarn Collection

Suffolk, Woodbridge DH 15 from Joel Spingarn Collection

1796 One Penny Conder Token • Thomas Sekford / Arms of Thomas Sekford
    From the collection of Joel Spingarn. ex-Jerry Bobbe, ex- Bill McKivor.

Thomas Seckford
    (1515 – January 1587) was an official at the court of Queen Queen Elizabeth I.

Born near Woodbridge, Suffolk, England, Seckford was educated at Cambridge,[SUP][1][/SUP] and in 1540 entered Gray's Inn, Thomas became one of Queen Elizabeth I’s two Masters in Ordinary of the Court of Requests which dealt with poor men’s causes. One of the duties of this post was to accompany the monarch as she journeyed around her realm. He would thus have been particularly known to the Queen. He is believed to have played a prominent part in arranging the Elizabethan Church Settlement. In 1564, she sold him the manor of Woodbridge, including the site of Woodbridge Priory, and he became a benefactor to both the church and town.[SUP][2][/SUP] He was junior Knight of the Shire (MP) for Suffolk in 1571.

Elizabeth is known to have held court at the Seckford family seat, Seckford Hall.

In 1574 Thomas commissioned Christopher Saxton to survey all the English counties and produce an atlas of the realm. This was published in 1579, the first ever done from an actual survey. Elizabeth granted him a patent for its sole publication for ten years.

He founded seven almshouses in Woodbridge in 1586 which he endowed with an income of £112 13s 4d (£112.66p) per year from land in Clerkenwell, Middlesex. He also paid for the old Woodbridge Abbey to be rebuilt. His wealth is still benefiting Woodbridge today.

He died in 1587 aged 72, never having had children, and was buried in a chapel on the north side of Woodbridge Church which is now an organ chamber. His coat of arms can be seen in the north window of the west wall of the church.

Sekforde Street in Clerkenwell, London, is built on land once owned by Seckford and is named for him. Sekforde Street adjoins Woodbridge Street, laid out at the same time in the 1830s. In the film About a Boy starring Hugh Grant the main character, Will, lives in a flat in No.1 Sekforde Street. Woodbridge Chapel on Woodbridge Street also features in the film as the scene of the "Single Parents Alone Together" (SPAT) meeting.

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Seckford

Edge reads:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

thecoinczar likes this.
  17. Larry Moran

Another example of Suffolk, Woodbridge DH-15

Here's another example, received this week.

ex-cosmicdebris, ex-yarm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thecoinczar likes this.
  18. yarm

yarm Junior Member

So what do you consider Conder tokens?

Are Conder tokens just what's published in D&H, no more, no less?

Or are they British tokens produced between 1787 and sometime in the first decade of the 1800's?

Or is it enough that they be British tokens DATED in that interval?

Illustrations

What about this one, Buckinghamshire 24, dated 1794 but produced decades after the end of the Conder era by William Till?

[​IMG]

Or this one from Devonshire? Included in R.C.Bell's book on Tradesmen's Tickets and Private Tokens, it was issued by W. Upcott as a private token in 1801 and restruck decades later. Are the originals Conders? How about the restrikes?

[​IMG]

Or this one attributed to Spence but "dated" 1780 and included under that year in Brown's British Historical Medals? Conder token?

[​IMG]

thecoinczar likes this.
  19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Good questions and right or wrong I will go with (for now) anything that is in the D and H book :D

20. Larry Moran

• Red Lion Inn -- William Till tokens
    We have discussed the Till issues and I find them to be an oddity,
    produced in 1840 by Till's son but included in D&H. That makes it a Conder in my book, D&H.

• Devonshire Medal
    I think the originals are Conders, the restrikes could be but should be labeled as restrikes by any seller.
    I wonder if one can determine any difference in originals and restrikes.
    Do you know who engraved, struck and issued the piece?

• The Gordon Riots
    I believe the medal should be included if issued by Spence.
    I wonder about the 1780 date. Perhaps it was struck later to commemorate a 1780 event.
    Do you know more about the piece?

21. Larry Moran

Warkwickshire, Stratford DH 322 • William Shakespeare/Pandora's Breeches

Here's a Conder Token halfpenny I purchased recently.

This is Warkwickshire, Stratford DH 322 William Shakespeare/Pandora's Breeches
    This issue is rated Rare.

Issuer was apparently Thomas Spence, though it is considered a mule by seller.
    Edge is plain, not struck in collar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thecoinczar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted