Let's see your Carinus

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John Anthony, Sep 11, 2013.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Here's a coin I acquired from Bill (Ardatirion) a few months ago. I think my description is right, or at least close. Judging by various online sources, the RIC number would be 325 or thereabouts, but if anyone feels like checking it, I'd be much obliged.

I put the strike date as 283 since that's the year Carus made him Augustus, but Carus also died in 283, so you wouldn't find an AVGG legend after that year, just AVG in 284 and 285. Is that correct?

[​IMG]

Windchild, Ripley, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm not certain, but I don't think this is RIC 325 which would require a star over the Gamma. I think it is Siscia RIC V-2, 327.

BUT, it is a very nice coin either way.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. Bing

I have a couple of nice Carinus Antoninianus:

RIC 253c FIDES MILITVM
    Carinus2_opt.jpg

RIC 161 PRINCIPI IVVENTVT
    Carinus3_opt.jpg

Windchild, Ripley, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While the theory is that gg = 2 emperors, I don't think the mint was terribly consistent on this at this period. You can take it as a guide but you will find exceptions. This Carinus as Caesar has GG while the Carinus Augustus under it has GGG suggesting three rulers but not really saying if they were Augusti or Caesares. The Numerian as Caesar has GGG so we know there were not three Augusti at that time. Similarly, I would not bet that all single G coins came from sole reign periods during the Carus family times.
    rx3210bb1588.jpg rx3260bb1645.jpg

rx3150bb1530.jpg

Windchild, Ripley, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Carinus ...

=> the good ol' Potin Tetradrachm

potina.jpg potinb.jpg

Windchild, Ripley, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  7. John Anthony

Thanks for checking Bing. I don't have RIC, and the closest thing ERIC II has to my coin is this...

134) B20, O11, R069, T022, M2 Exe: Γ/XXI 283

But Type 022 in ERIC is "Carinus standing right on left, receiving Victory from Carus to right, holding scepter". So is it Jupiter or Carus??

To complicate things, ERIC I has the following type, which isn't included in II: "24) Carinus standing right on left, receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter to right, holding scepter". That sounds like my reverse.

So combining that with Doug's comments about the inconsistency of using multiple G's, and I'm stuck - not that it's a big deal though. But I would like to know the mint for certain, and whether we're looking at Carus or Jupiter.

8. Bing

According to Helvetica's table, it has to be Carus rather than Jupiter since Jupiter is always represented as naked. And, according to that same table, your coin has to have been minted at Siscia. Take a look at Helvetica's and see if you come to the same conclusion.

9. John Anthony

Bing, I don't know what you're referring to with "Helvetica's table" - an online resource?

10. Bing

Collect89 and John Anthony like this.
  11. John Anthony

12. Bing

Check out the different lists. Dane has really done a good job this this site. She also keeps up wildwinds, but a lot of the information there is provided by the owners/sellers of the coins. Helvetica's will require you download whichever list you are interested. I have them saved in a folder I have labeled "research" along with all my other pieces of information.

When you download Carinus, look at the bottom of the table and you will see a choice of "one person", "two person", etc. Choose the two person, and then locate the coin in question. Fairly simple to use.

Good luck and let me know what you find and how you like these tables.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would like to hear if anyone who feels proficient at Dane's lists has later bought RIC and whether you feel that one was more clear than the other. I owned and felt comfortable with RIC first so never felt the need for the lists (certainly not ERIC but I'm less sure about Dane's).

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

For the areas they cover, I find the lists to be much more efficient. It takes only seconds to search by the mint and field marks, and you have the coin ID'd in a few more clicks.

15. Bing

I feel the same as Ard-man. I have/use both, but find myself using RIC less and less frequent.

16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Yeah, not pretty, but only paid like $7 for it as a hole-filler :oops: :

[​IMG]

randygeki, Windchild, Bing and 3 others like this.
  17. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

No help to the thread but here is a rare Carinus

Carinus
    Obv:– IMP C M AVR CARINVS AVG, Radiate, bust right in imperial mantle
    Rev:– SALVS AVGG, Salus standing right, feeding snake
    Minted in Lugdunum (_|D / LVG), Emission 7, Officina 4. early A.D. 284
    Reference:– RIC 216 var (not listed with this bust type in RIC). Cohen -. Bastien 574 (1 example cited)

This would appear to be only the second example of a coin with this bust type for Carinus known.

[​IMG]

Windchild, Ripley, Bing and 2 others like this.
  18. John Anthony

It looks like his head got twisted around 180 degrees. What an unusual and marvelous piece!

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man...i don't have a carinius.

[​IMG]

Ripley and stevex6 like this.
  20. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Ready for more?

Obv:– IMP C M AVR CARINVS AVG, Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae
    Minted in Lugdunum (A in right field)
    Reference:– Cohen 8. Bastien 533. RIC 212 Bust type C

Weight 3.84g. 23.55mm.

[​IMG]

Obv:– CARINVS NOBIL CAES, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– PRINCIPI IVVENTVT, Prince standing left holding globe and inverted spear
    Minted in Lugdunum (Retrograde C in left field). Emission 4, Officina 3. 1st Quarter A.D. 283
    Reference:– Cohen 92. Bastien 516 (9 examples cited). RIC 150 Bust type C

[​IMG]

Windchild, chrsmat71, Bing and 2 others like this.
  21. John Anthony

We can always count on you, Martin!

Draft saved Draft deleted