Lets see some twenty cent pieces!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gbroke, Aug 31, 2011.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

The 20cent piece doesn't seem to get much attention around CT. I thought it would be nice to see some examples that members own.
    Here is mine from my dad. Not in the greatest condition, but the senitmental value is through the roof.

[​IMG]
    edit: I ca'nt spel soo goed

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. protovdo

protovdo Resident Whippersnapper

I love the odd denominations purely for its historical significance. It really ties is so many things, and the specimen above is fantastic. I tend to enjoy the circulated grades of anything pre-1930's.

4. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Here's a 20c piece that was in an old ANACS slab (small holder), MS60. I tried crossing it and PCGS said "questionable color". Annoyed, I cracked it and gave it an acetone bath.

Whoa! Where'd the toning go?

It was artificially toned by some doctor, probably to hide some stains and the muted luster. It also appears to have been excessively dipped and maybe he was concealing that too. I don't know what treatment the doc used but it was obviously organic, as it instantly dissolved.

Some time later I brought it to my local B&M to sell. I paid my tuition and was prepared for the loss. The dealer was happy to have it, felt it was AU at best (I agree) and gave me a fair price.

I was happy to be rid of it. You know how it just hurts, or makes you sick, to look at some of your accidents or dumb buys? This was one of them for me.
    Lance.

BEFORE
    [​IMG][​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG][​IMG]

dwhiz and geekpryde like this.
  5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh man Lance, I really like the details on that one. Hopefully you didn't take a big loss. I have plenty of coins I look at now and think "What the heck was I thinking?" lol

YoloBagels and ColonialCoin4 like this.
  6. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Here is one of mine. I wish I had kept that EF 1876 that I had when I was a teenager :(

Attached Files:

7. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Here is my newp c31021436-a.jpg

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Wow. Those are both beautiful.

9. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Any more 20 centers out there?

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Yeah, cmon! I know there has to be more!

11. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

How did you remove the tarnish/toning? Some use aluminum foil (ruff up the aluminum with sand paper before you place it in the bowl) and a spoon full of baking soda in a glass bowl with warm to hot water. Place the coin touching the aluminum and the tarnish will be removed. The 1875s, looks like a (s/s) s over s. I have one that I found in a creek along time ago, while on a Boy Scout camping trip. With the toning removed, the true coin will be seen. OK :(

12. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This thread is super lonely. I dont currently own a 20c, but I have negotiated a deal on one, I just need to sell some coins to pay for it before it sells elsewhere.

20C type is at the top, top of my list.

In the meantime, here is a pretty one you can drool over:

[​IMG]

dwhiz, Effigy303 and JPeace$ like this.
  13. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

14. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

When I was Boy Scout and on a camping trip we found many coins in a creek. One was a 1875 S 20cent coin, that started me to collect coins from 1953. One of the 20 cents above by Ikeigwin is a S/S 1875s, do not know if he knew it. Nice coin. My coin to was an s/s.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    gbroke likes this.
  15. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

What an amazing find!
    Here is mine, since it seems my old link doesn't work anymore.
    It also has the RPM. Which is common for this coin.
    [​IMG]

dwhiz and geekpryde like this.
  16. geekpryde

:eek:

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The P mint 20c is somewhat scarce. this one has some nice iridescent tone when tilted under a light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, Effigy303, geekpryde and 2 others like this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpg image.jpg Here's one of mine so far my nicest one of many coins I've bought raw and sent in

dwhiz, Effigy303 and geekpryde like this.
  19. geekpryde

Okay, so i finally completed a deal I have been trying to pay for about two weeks. Check mails Monday. Then I'll get to share with you my 20C Type Coin!!

Here is a small taste:

taste.jpg

20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

:cool::D

J.A.K., dwhiz and geekpryde like this.
  21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

XF-45?

Draft saved Draft deleted