Featured Learn About Die Doubling...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jtwax, Jan 21, 2005.

1. andyluw12

andyluw12 New Member

Here's another great site loaded with pictures to explain the varieties as well as an illustration of "shelf" doubling aka the kind you see above. It's John Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties http://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html and it's helped me a lot (although I still could use better glasses!). Hope this helps.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. andyluw12

andyluw12 New Member

Both John Wexler and Ken Potter have some great sites and publications, and then there's the Die Variety News and CONECA. I'm finding the best resources are here! I'm new to the site myself, but many of my questions have been answered quickly by great people who are happy to share their knowledge. Books and websites are great, but they won't look at your coins and help you out. The Die Variety News is constantly adding new varieties monthly, many submitted by readers. Four issues are always available for download http://dvnmagazine.com/

4. couto88

couto88 Member

i was told this is machine doubling i always thought it was some type of dd

Attached Files:

5. CoinTalk72

CoinTalk72 New Member

I like double die coin, it creates an excitement coin collecting. I have an 1876 cc ddo, and its awesome. Double die coins are something you should consider to purchase, if you haven't already!

6. CDNMace

CDNMace New Member

Great post. Great information.

7. PaulW

PaulW New Member

This is a cool double die with a rotation. Look over the left wing of the eagle:
    [​IMG]
    Full obverse double die:
    [​IMG]
    another one:
    [​IMG]
    (coins being struck by Germans for occupied Poland in 1917-18)

torontokuba likes this.
  8. BNL84

BNL84 New Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

adelaide888 and coinzip like this.
  9. PaulW

PaulW New Member

Thanks for the post. I managed to find the article that goes with the sketch. Very informative and makes complete sense.

Looking at the coins posted above, it has to be hub doubling. I understand that American coins are well studied and doubling rules can be applied rigidly. My question is: can there be a situation where a minting press is so deteriorated that machine doubling can actually start looking like hub doubling with proper notching and even full separation between the devices? The type of coins posted by me above were struck by Germans for occupied Poland during WW I. Not much care was taken in the minting process. There are many examples of spectacular doubling with Królestwo Polskie coins. It has to be a mix of machine and hub doubled specimens, but can the same identification rules be applied to these coins as to the American ones where minting process, even in those days, was much more controlled and rigorous? Can a die jump off so much as to give the same result as hub doubling? This might be a naive question because the field and devices closest to the edge would also be affected during a massive die shift. Are die rotations possibe inside a mount?

Below is another example of doubling on Królestwo Polskie coin, so far known only from one coin.
    [​IMG]

10. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

you're probably tired of hearing this but may this be doubled die?

Attached Files:

11. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

i need to find a true doubled die in my collection, because now Im confused.

12. Rare-Tim

Rare-Tim Active Member

dang, didn't see that drawing.

13. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Cool Reading! Thanks

14. gijoe76

gijoe76 A Penny Saved is a Penny earned

This is one from my collection. I know it is a Wexler WDDR-002. The pictures are from the actual coin. Is this a true doubled die? Will NGC or PCGS eventually recognize the die varieties for the formative year Lincolns? GiJoe_2009FY_MS68RD_o1r4.jpg 2009FYcloseup_04.jpg

15. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It is a true doubled die, there is no doubt about that. Whether NGC or PCGS will recognize them as something worth mentioning is another story. Typically they will only note doubled dies if it is a major variety (such as a Cherrypicker's Variety). ANACS on the other hand will give the info on the slab if it is listed on coppercoins, wexler, CONECA, etc.

gijoe76 likes this.
  16. gijoe76

Thanks for the info non_cents. I think you know from the Post Your Lincoln page that I have some of the top graded doubled die varieties out there but I am new too learning about the causes . Is it ok to post the link too my Lincoln Doubled Die set on here

17. gijoe76

18. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

Thank you 4 that great knowledge 1

19. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Member

20. cheng

cheng New Member

Can someone tell me how rare and how much this is?

Attached Files:

21. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Member

That isn't a rare coin. Can be worth about 1$.

Draft saved Draft deleted