Largest and smallest coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I actually have one. Its a novelty piece. I also have a set the likes of thie bottom right one
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I think that many of the Indian 1/32 rupees (such as Assam) or fanams will be the smallest at about 7mm. I originally thought of some the Central Am Rep coins, but they are 1 cm or so. By largest, do you mean heaviest or largest diameter?

4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Largest Diameter.

5. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I think that China, Fukien Province, 100 cash would be in the running. Copper 70 mm. Or China, Shensi Province, 1000 cash. Brass 74mm.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The fanams are nice tries, but I don't think they qualify. Check the OP question 1800 - 2012. I think most of the fanams were 18th century.

The 1904 2 1/2 centisimo of Panama as 10mm would be in the running for the smallest. But it weighs more than the other 10mm piece pictured earlier.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, the Type 1 gold dollar had the smallest diameter of all US coins. Type 2 and later were 15mm.

Lowest mass (weight) for a US coin would be the Type 2 and 3 silver three-cent pieces -- diameter 14mm, but much thinner than a gold dollar, and of course even lighter because their alloy was less dense.

8. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are a couple previous threads that discussed the largest & smallest coins. I think Yap money won for largest & the India coins won for smallest. I have neither in my personal collection.

http://www.cointalk.com/t130416/

http://www.cointalk.com/t41552/

Here is a post describing the Panama Pill coin. I suspect if you want a small, afordable, truely circulating coin for your collection that this one might fit nicely. The diameter is smaller than a US 3 cent silver but it is deeper (like a small pill).

http://www.cointalk.com/t44370/

This link describes the world’s smallest coin(s) from India.

http://hindu.com/2004/08/02/stories/2004080205820400.htm

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

11. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

India, Princely states. Travancore. Rama Varma VI, 1885-1924. CU Cash. Struck circa 1901-1910. KM 46

12. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It still looks like the Indian (Assam) 1/32 rupee (KM 245) at less than probably 6mm is the smallest and it's 19th century. The 1/16 rupee (KM246 is 7mm and .67-72 grams is listed at 7mm. The 1/32 should be half that size and it's listed at .34-36 grams. Both are silver. The later 1/32 rupee (Km 260) from another ruler is listed at 6mm and .34-.36 g.

13. FmrFiatFollower

FmrFiatFollower Note-orious & Numismatic

The old "fish scale" Canadian nickels are quite small, as were California fractionals. The Canadian silver nickels would have seen wider use though.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think it is clear the 19th century Indian pieces bill listed are the smallest coins at 6mm. but we still have to determine the largest. now remember he specified METAL 1800 -2012, and had to actually be used in commerce. (Katanga Cross? 8 inches across, weighed about two pounds)

15. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Detecto,

I was just reading Daniel Sedwick's Treasure Auction #11 catalog and was reminded of Swedish plate money. It is from the 18th Century but still quite interesting for your thread I think. :smile You can see the Treasure Auction #11 lots on the Internet. The piece is lot 572.

17. Nikita

Nikita New Member

I also have that "coin" in possesion, right now i believe that that is from somalia, because it has somalian caligraphy, but otherwise i do not know anything about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted