Large Cent Giveaway to a YN or Financially Strapped Collector

Discussion in 'Contests' started by WingedLiberty, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Wait! What? You were just kidding?!?!.............................Unliking right now

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Nickname?

4. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

yeah, your nickname! like mine is miz, mizo or oz.

5. mizozuman2

:O i have 6 and cazkaboom and zach have 8? man! where have i been?

6. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

'guess i have to take a shot since im eligible = (financially strapped) collector.
    to start with, I've been collecting coins back when i was in grade school. We used to have a store (we call it a "sari-sari store" here in Philippines). I help out with my mom after school and mostly spend my summer looking after it. It's a small shop where one can buy various merchandise like rice, sugar, cigarettes, can goods etc. (just google "sari-sari store". I have to point this out so that the reader would understand how i came up with my collection). The thing is, there's this foreign or old coin every now and then showing up in our " kaha" or cash register. I used to just set it aside and put it in a drinking glass beside our kaha. It wasn't actually a collection then. People in our neighborhood have this habit of tricking us, mixing same sizes of foreign/unwanted coins in real ones when they purchase something. It was mostly coins of different countries and old coins from my country. And I really dont have any clue yet about rare coins and stuff. I even got an Alfonso XII mixed in that drinking glass.

Years passed, that drinking glass wouldnt hold more of its content so I transferred the coins in a big container (A can of NIDO). Having them around is actually fun. I even started accepting coins that i obviously noticed mixed when a neighbor bought something from us. I just pretended i didn't notice.

And that started my interest in coins. Well, i don't consider it a collection anyways, coz after our store closed and i went to Manila for college, i hide it in my closet. Honestly, I lost interest in it and left it there 'til our house burned which was accidentally started by a nearby neighbor. Our house didn't totally burned down, and the can of nido survived.

Years passed, and less interested about coins I transferred to this school (my present one and my 5th school [which im not proud. hehe]). This school is somehow not a common school, though it is a university now. It is not a usual school where one have waiting sheds, trees, etc in its campus since it is a building, a school that is located in the heart of our city. Below our school (the same building) are business establishments. Fast food stores, bazaars, etc. while surrounding its sidewalks are vendors. People who put stalls and sell their trades (mostly stolen cellphones), some are money changers and others buy gold/silver.

I use to just go straight home after class and don't really mind what these sidewalk vendors are selling. But this last semester, I have this screwed up class schedule. Having 1 to 2 hours vacant every subject. So after class, and while still with an hour or two vacant hours for my next subject, I would go around town. ('usually spent it in malls and internet shops). But just this recently, I came across this guy who buy and sell coins. It is his trade among all the cellphone seller and moneychangers that crowds around our campus. It is because of this guy that i really started collecting coins. Actually, it was becoz of this certain coin displayed in his stall that rekindled the fire that i have in coins.

So I bought this coin, believing it to be a great find. Then I started researching about this coin. Gradually learning stuff about other coins too. Then i came up with this site when i googled my coin. I learned then that it was a fake.

http://www.cointalk.com/t41811-4/ (page 4 of 4)

It has been months now since i started collecting coins. My first purchase was a fake. An 1817 Ferdin VII 8 Reales coin. I posted it here to check its authenticity and found out to be a replica coin. But since then, being a member here, I've learned lots about coins. Saw the beauty in them here (my favorite: Italian L500 coin), and acquired knowledge in this site (not that much yet).

Now, though he sold me a fake, i'm in good terms with this guy. my vacant hours are spent with him now and those others with the same trade. I even took a picture and posted some of their wares to check if it's genuine.

http://www.cointalk.com/t193415/

These people made me look back how i use to love coins. Brought back good memories when i was still little. And made me find a good container to transfer my old coins from that can of Nido. Thanks to them now im acquiring coin knowledge here too. That's how i started my coin collection. And CT has big part on it.

Adrian P. Endozo
    BS Customs Administration
    Universidad de Zamboanga

7. susannyny

susannyny Member

I'm certainly not a YN, nor am I a strapped collector so I won't be entering this contest. Just wanted to say that it's a very generous offer. Good luck to those entering!

8. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

hope i get likes. if i'll win this. this will be the rarest coin i'll ever own.

9. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

ugh. 'think im too late for this to win. only 1 day left :(.

10. Cazkaboom

I go by my real name: Cannyn, or I would go by caz.

11. Cazkaboom

You haven't taken into account MS70's 10 votes.

12. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

I just turned 18 and i have been collecting coins since i was a young child. My grandfather was the one who got me into it and i quickly surpassed him by the time i was a teenager. Soon after that i was diagnosed with pituitary dwarfism at the Children Hospital of Philadelphia due to a small cyst on my pituitary gland. This prevented the growth hormones from getting to the rest of my body preventing me from growing. I had to get growth hormone injected daily through shots. As time went by i became more and more fascinated with coins. Then i found out one of my friends dads was a coin collector too. I eventually became close to him and he eventually started to sell me coins i needed for my dansco albums. I started off with pennies and nickels, then got to silver dimes and quarters. after all that i moved on to halves and dollars. Coin collecting has helped me over the years get through all the rough stuff life threw at me. It has always helped me get my mind off of the world around me and enjoy life for what it is.

13. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

what's a YN anyway?

14. Cazkaboom

Young Numismatist

15. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

So, I'm sorta lost right now and can somebody please tell me who is in the lead? :smile

16. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

dunno. 'havnt got a sole like yet though

17. mizozuman2

it's a tie between cazkaboom and zach24, with 8 likes. i have 6 or 7 i believe.

18. phdunay

phdunay Member

Everybody forgot to like my post :(

19. mizozuman2

i just did... :devil:

Mizozuman2

P.S, i'll vote for you! :)

20. mizozuman2

come on guys! this is good, we should vote for it! :)

21. Cazkaboom

Forgot Igradems70 again. He has 10 votes, mizo

Draft saved Draft deleted