key dates for wheat pennies?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mizozuman2, Oct 28, 2011.

1. mizozuman2

mizozuman2 that random guy

hi, i have almost 40 wheat pennies and i was wanting to know what dates to look for, and what to look for on them.

thanks,
    mizozuman2

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

4. Zephr

Zephr New Member

From what I understand it is the 1909-s, 1909-s VDB, 1914-D, 1922 without a mint mark, and 1931-S.

5. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

key dates are 1909 s vdb , 1909 s , 1914 D, 1931 s , 1922 plain , i guess i should list some semi key dates too ... 1911 s, 1924 d hmm there are more check out this site http://www.coinstudy.com and go to wheat cents .... other things you should look out for are the 1955 doubled die , and maybe 1917 and 1936 doubled die also

6. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

anything pre-1919, any 1909vdb or S-vdb, 1910-s 1911-s 1913-s 1914-D (biggie) 1922(no 'D') 1924-D and any 1931-1933

7. Cazkaboom

Of course those I posted are key and semi-key dates

8. mizozuman2

wow, everyone jumped on this thread! thanks for the quick replies!

9. Cazkaboom

That's why I like this forum! I get such quick responses from everybody!

10. Cazkaboom

Or almost anything in uncirculated condition.

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Actually, there are only FOUR key dates: 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, 1914-D and the 1931-S. The 1922 plain is an ERROR/VARIETY, it is NOT a key date.

12. mizozuman2

alright! thanks thad

mizozuman2

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

We simply know them from memory mizuzoman. I would highly suggest asking for Christmas a copy of the "Red Book" "Guide Book of US Coins". This is the best book, the best gift actually, for any young US coin collector. From this book you will always have at your fingertips what are the keys to every series, and just a whole bunch of good information.

I am not saying questions here aren't fine, we all like to help, but if you are curious about this question, the red book will answer a whole bunch more you never thought of. :)

Chris

14. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

This. I have a few OLD redbooks I'd give you. Let me know if you guys are coming through on the way to texas.

15. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

im trying to fill my album for my daughter.. i ask all of you to help me ..what do you recommend me doing??

16. mizozuman2

alright zach, we should be going through in a few months, but i'm not sure

17. mizozuman2

well, what i'd do is look up on ebay for the ones you are missing, and start up a thread on wanted coins, there might be a few people on here that would help you out.

mizozuman2

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I some ways I agree with you, but since the 1922 is in most albums/folders, I suspect more people than not consider is part of their set. Either way, it is up to the owner of the set to describe the set as he/she sees fit.

19. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

completely agree :) to me i would need that 1922 plain to complete my set but man they are up there in price :(

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Try to find the cheaper die pair 1, 3, or 4 to fill the hole.

Draft saved Draft deleted