Kennedy Half Dollar , looks like a D mintmark on the middle of neck!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by noah1980, Nov 11, 2010.

1. noah1980

noah1980 New Member

I dont know about this , but it looks like the D mintmark in on his neck!

kennedy1.jpg kennedy2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Unfortunately from those pictures it's going to be hard what caused the mark on the neck. Any chance of getting a close up of the mark?

4. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Looks to be incuse which would rule out a mint mark i would think.

5. noah1980

noah1980 New Member

I tired to get closer with my camera , ill try the other camera to see if it has a micro function...

Heres 2 better pics.

KennedyErrorD.jpg KennedyErrorD2.jpg

6. noah1980

noah1980 New Member

What is incuse?

7. USMoneylover

Incuse meaning the supposed "D" in stamped into the neck as opposed to raised like a normal mint mark. I'm confused the first coin shows no clips and the second has 2 what's going on?

8. SilverCeder

SilverCeder Active Member

thats his fingers.

9. USMoneylover

Wow, i need to put my glasses back on!:D

10. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Could be a dropped mintmark. If that's the case that would be a VERY cool find. Let's hope Mike Diamond will pop in and give his expert opinion.

For those that don't know, a dropped mintmark (or a dropped letter) occurs when grease fills the letter in the die and becomes hardened after numerous strikes. Eventually the hardened grease falls out of the die and if it lands on the planchet or the anvil die it (the dropped letter) will be pressed into the coin when the planchet is struck making an incuse letter. Very cool and very rare.

12. USMoneylover

question: Would that be possible using a die without a mint mark, such as the case with this half without a mintmark?

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The dropped letter could have come from any letter that had gotten clogged with grease (e.g., the 'D' in 'GOD'. It could not have come from a 'D' mintmark because the coin in question was struck in Philadelphia, not Denver.

14. USMoneylover

Yeah, i knew it couldn't be the mintmark because like you said it was minted in PA...That and the fact the "D" on the neck appears to be smaller than the one in "GOD" was what made me ask.

15. noah1980

noah1980 New Member

Ok I didnt think about the issue with the Ds not having anything to begin with.....Would some prankster have been able to make that somehow just fooling around...?

Also if a mint mark in the old days was by hammering a P or a S or whatever on the coin how can that make raised areas? If you took something and chizzled something into something it would go deeper not raise a area? Im not sure how someone putting a stamp on coins by hands would make them that way?

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Mintmarks were hand-punched into the working dies, not the individual coins. (That would be a monumental task - hand-punching mintmarks into individual coins. With some mintages well over 1 billion it would be an impossible task.)

Think about it - a mintmark punched into the working die is incuse. When that die strikes a coin the mintmark will be raised.

17. noah1980

noah1980 New Member

Ok Well hopefully Mike Diamond will take a look, as I think this might be a great find, as It looks way to precise to be some type of a accident or mishandling ect.

18. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

There are a couple of threads that talk about the die engraving process, but basically; an engraved portion of a die leaves a corresponding raised area on the planchet when the stamping takes place. If there is an "incluse" or indented area, it can only be caused by added material on the die. A chip of metal, generally that does not become fused on the coin when stamped (CUD).

I think this coin was damaged by a metal fragment that simply fell away when the coin came out of the press. IMHO

gary

19. sgiorgis

sgiorgis Student of Numismatics

Pretty Cool Find! :)
    Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted