Itsy bitsy teeny weenie Athens Owl- It’s a hemiobol

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, May 12, 2014.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This is the latest addition to my Athena -Owl type set.

Athens Hemiobol Collage.jpg
    ATTICA. Athens.
    AR Hemiobol
    454-404 B.C.

0.34 grams, 12 mm
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right.
    Rev: Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig behind. AΘE.
    Grade: Overall VF with the owl, olive sprig, and AΘE sharply struck and centered. The Athena obverse is somewhat more worn & off center.
    Other: SNG Copenhagen 59. May 2014 Pecunem Sale 16, lot # 498.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I will get all the owl coins together tonight for one collage photo. This new hemiobol is quite small compared to all the others. Here it is depicted with a US cent.
    Athens Hemiobol Rev on Cent.jpg

thejewk, Ryro, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a nice one. Athenian silver appears in the catalog down to 1/8 obol but I have not seen one of these offered in the decades I have been looking. There is one listed on acsearch but IMHO it is not even Athenian but some Eastern fraction copying the type. The 1/8 and 1/2 share the type of the full obol (and the tetradrachm) but some of the other fractions are easier to spot. Below is my 3/4 obol (ex-NFA, years ago) and my hemiobol. Obols are not hard to find. Hemiobols are a bit scarce. Any of the other fractions are rare. I really would like to know the existing population of each of these denominations. I have seen more dekadrachms than all smaller than the hemiobol but that may be because dealers who have a dekadrachm used to advertise them (this may have changed when Greece started suing to get them back) and few people care about the little guys. I would really appreciate seeing any photo of a real hemitartemorion if anyone knows where one is. The Sear plate coin is not clear since it is life size.
    g01310bb0462.jpg g01240bb2400.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  5. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

It does not, however, appear to be yellow or polka-dotted.

God, I'm old.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful little coin. I still own no owls of any kind :(

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

0.34 grams, 12 mm - nice little coin - one I like enough that I want one sometime. One thing though, the weight is likely correct but the measurement is so off - no way that is 12mm when a cent is 18mm. I am thinking your little treasure is more like about 5 millimetres or so.

The Athenian fractions are noticeably scarcer than full tetradrachms - they tended to be circulated locally and didn't leave the region in trade like the tets did. From my experience with looking at auction catalogues etc they appear to be considerably less common - which makes that coin much more appreciable - imagine having something that small 2500+ years after it was issued.

Collect89 likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Measuring the cent and the owl with Photoshop shows that the owl is ~7mm at its widest.

Paul M. and Collect89 like this.
  9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The weight & dimension in the OP is copied from the seller's listing. The little coin is now at home & measured by me. It weighs 0.34 grams which correlates precisely with the Pecunem listing. However, the maximum dimension is 6.91 mm and the minimum dimension is 6.22 mm. The Pecunem dimension (12 mm) was certainly incorrect.

Listing error aside, I am really beginning to like this little coin. The grade, toning, & details are just perfect for the size. Even with my imperfect vision, I can enjoy the little owl & AOE with the naked eye.

scottishmoney likes this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If you tire of it, can send me. I like tiny ancients.

Collect89 likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a great little coin collect...the reverse is fantastic!

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice, Collect89 => that's a super lil' mini-owl (very cool addition ... I'm jealous)

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is today's owl collection. I'm hoping to find a didrachm with the owl head & two bodies. Also would like an archaic owl but the price in decent shape may be a real deterrent.
    Athens Owls Collage.jpg

Tetradrachm (new style)
    Tetradrachm
    Drachm
    Obol
    Hemiobol

P.S. Wikipedia teaches us that a goup of owls is called a "parliament".

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a great set, Collect! Good luck in your hunt for the others :)

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

hoot! hoot! hoot! hoot! hoot!

stevex6 and TIF like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have not seen a didrachm with two bodies but that is to be found on a diobol and some bronzes. Didrachms are rare and the vast majority of the ones I have seen offered were fakes. Be extra careful if you are buying that one.

Paul M. and Collect89 like this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for the heads-up. It is the 2 obol coin that is on my want list. I wrote didrachm in error. :banghead:

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> ummm, how 'bout a couple of freaky lookin' owls? (do they count?)

TROAS, Sigeion. Æ20
    4th-3rd centuries BC
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Weight: 8.03 grams
    Obverse: Head of Athena facing slightly right, wearing triple crested helmet and necklace
    Reverse: Double-bodied owl standing facing; crescent to right

Troas Sigeion.jpg

PONTOS, Amisos. AR Siglos
    3rd-2nd centuries BC
    Diameter: 17 x 15mm
    Weight: 3.98 grams
    Obverse: Head of Hera right, wearing turreted crown
    Reverse: Owl standing facing, wings spread

Pontos Amisos AR Siglos.jpg

Ryro, Alegandron, Paul M. and 6 others like this.
  19. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

This one is up for grabs at the HJB buy or bid sale....buy now for $250
    13mm, 1.90 grams image.jpg

Ryro, Paul M., randygeki and 4 others like this.
  20. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Ur tetradrachm looks like an archaic owl...does Athena not have the almond shaped eye?

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The owl on the Tet includes the crescent. Here is the obverse.
    IMG_1447.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted