It's Maundy Thursday --- Post Your Maundy Coins and Sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by giorgio11, Apr 17, 2014.

1. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Maundy Thursday is also known as Holy Thursday and Covenant Thursday. It commemorates the Last Supper of Christ, the day before Good Friday signaling His crucifixion. The word Maundy comes from the Latin mandatum. Christ told his disciples (here in Latin) "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos." ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you.") (John 13:34.) Maundy comes from the same root as the English words mandate, command, commandment, mandatory, etc. The holy day is often commemorated in religious services by the washing of feet, as Christ did for His disciples. The English monarchs also did this, apparently through King James II.

The English kings and queens would also distribute purses of specially minted Maundy money, 1, 2, 3, and 4 pence coins to senior citizens, 1 pence for each year of the sovereign's age.

Here's my Maundy set, from the last year of the reign of Queen Victoria. Post yours!

Wishing you blessings on Maundy Thursday and Holy Week.

Best Regards,

George

1d-4d Maundy 1901 27767003o.jpg 1d-4d Maundy 1901 27767003r.jpg

McBlzr, onecenter, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Very impressive, George! I don't collect many foreign coins, but I have always wanted a Maundy set.

4. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Thank you! Glad you like it. It was an instant #1 PCGS Victoria Old Head Registry Set. Grades are: 1d PL67, 2d PL66+, 3d PL67, 4d PL66.

Best Regards, :)

George

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted