Is this a proof-70 Ike?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Atarian, Jun 13, 2012.

?

In your opinion, is this a PRF70 coin?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2012.
  1. Yes - the coin is correctly graded at Proof 70

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No - the coin appears to be over-graded

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Of course there is, just no Ikes.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

You're really good at backing up your claims by simply restating them. I mean there is no need to actually explain yourself right?

Ironically enough, I agree with you in a sense. Every coin in some way, has some sort of flaw. To call a coin perfect is a stretch.

4. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Well your odds are not good at getting a proof 70 vice a proof 69:

33 PRF70 and 49,455 PRF69 CN clads 1973 to 1978 (less Bicentennial) with none in 1973 or 1974
    56 PRF70 versus 56,492 PRF69 in 1971 to 1974 in the silver clads
    1 PRF70 versus 25,002 PRF69 CN clad Bicentennials
    16 PRF70 versus 18,871 PRF69 silver clad Bicentennials

That's a whole lotta proof set crackin' to get a good score.

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

There are PLENTY of MS 70 and PR/PF 70 coins. The problem is that it is virtually impossible to tell the difference by the naked eye. It takes magnification to do so, and I doubt that anybody can really do it without at least 7-10x. If they claim so, it is probably just bragging rights.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Normally, the difference is a pint-point lack of frost on one of the devices. Take one of your 69s and very carefully look over every device...you will likely find one extremely tiny spot where the frost is missing. That would be why it's not a 70. IMHO, this is an insignificant difference.

7. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Buy the way from someone that has taken a lot of images of proof coins. Most of the time those spots you are all getting upset about are not on the coin they are flaws in the slab that show up under bright lighting on the mirrored fields of the coin.
    And yes PCGS graders use 5x magnifiers to check out the 70 grades is what I have heard.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Nah. Its a random misfiring of an visual cortex nueron followed by a rush of endorphins which makes a 70 grade. But even if you get one, by the time they ship it back to you through the postal service, it is no longer 70 anymore.

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

and most of them need 3.0 reading glasses.

10. tmoneyeagles

If we go by that explanation then wouldn't that mean there is a chance for any coin to be a 70?
    "Sending in my VF30 Bust Half today, I sure hope the grader has a random misfiring of a visual cortex neuron followed by a rush of endorphin's to give my coin a MS70"

Prove it.

11. CamaroDMD

Ruben, I'm not going to argue with you. You are free to believe whatever you like.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

It is better that way since I'm right and proved it once is a huge thread :)

13. tmoneyeagles

I'm fairly certain I am on your ignore list because it isn't normal for someone like yourself to ignore posts, especially mine.

If for whatever reason I'm not on your ignore list and you are reading this, please feel free to post where your proved this fact of yours.
    I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I just have a big problem with you always claiming things and leaving little "tic-tac" comments here and there with no evidence to back up your ridiculous statements.

14. CamaroDMD

It's proven in his head...which is all he needs.

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Your just jealous.

16. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

And in hand for many as well.

I know I could never differentiate the difference, by photo or in hand.

17. tmoneyeagles

And you're just delirious

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW attach the post, not the person

Draft saved Draft deleted