Is this a doubled die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by BigTee44, Apr 22, 2014.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Or is it machine doubling?

image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. It is really hard to tell if it is double-die, or just an old type of embossing. Im not sure what coin it is because it is so close-up, but I would probably google that exact coin and see what the actual double-die looks like and compare it. I apologize if my insite is lame, but this works for me almost every time I have a problem like this. just an idea. good luck!

4. BigTee44

Buffalo nickel.

5. I did a comparison and uploaded what I found. I am by no means an expert. i am just a new collector so I apologize if my input is amateur. It looks like the double Die coin is more extreme than the one you have. I am not sure if there are levels of variation in how much offset the two dies are. Yours seems to look more like the one that is not DD, but its best to wait for a pro to answer this question. see my comparison attached. good luck! comparison.jpg

josh's coins likes this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

the one is a 1918/7 over-date

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The coin is not a DDO, strike doubling.

Look at the flat shelf like appearance

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Here is a hint.. look at the lower portion of the 8 in the loop. also look at the F below the date..

Google it..

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I believe it to be MD.
    When examining a possible error, I put my scope to 30x, then rotate the coin to get a variation on the light reflecting off the sides of the raised areas. Next I try and determine if the image was produced by the die itself or by slippage of the die during the stamping process. When the engraving in the die is actually doubled, it seems to give a sharper image than the MD, which is caused by a slippage of the die. At least, that's what seems to work best for me.

10. oh you are right! thanks for bringing that to my attention. I guess google is not as helpful as I thought. I have a lot to learn.

non_cents likes this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

we don't know weather its a P or D

12. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Wrong Rick. The 1918/7 is actually a Class III doubled die.

non_cents likes this.
  13. BigTee44

Thanks everyone. Someone was selling this as a DD, but I thought the DD for this year was only on the reverse. Thought I'd ask. Thanks again.

14. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Correct. Even though it is called an "overdate", it is still a doubled die.

15. austyn

austyn Member

looks like machine doubling

Draft saved Draft deleted