Is this 1914-D legitimate?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JBlade00, Jul 30, 2012.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That could easily be PMD. Look at the rest of the coin. It is just wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I believe that 14-D is as right as rain, I saw one just like it on an episode of Tom and Jerry.

4. JBlade00

JBlade00 New Member

Here is a close-up of the 31-s. This set also has the other semi-keys (besides 1909-s and 1909-s vdb) so even if the 1914-d IS fake, I don't think I got a bad deal. I don't forsee those other semi-keys being fake, though some are definitely cleaned / scratched.

1931-s-mm.jpg

5. JBlade00

JBlade00 New Member

I take back everything I said, the 1914-D is DEFINITELY fake... it is about 10-15% thicker than a normal cent and has very sharp edges. Even compared to a BU cent whose edges are a bit rounded. Also the color on the rim looks more artificial. Thanks everyone for helping me see the light! Now I have to figure out if the other coins are legit. :)

6. JBlade00

JBlade00 New Member

Now for the next order of business, what is the conclusion on the 1931-S?

7. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

watch out now, the Feds may want to have a looksy at that 1914-D you speak of... lol j/k

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The 31-S MM looks fine.

9. mlgdave

mlgdave Member

Alright, Im a relative newbie and am thinking my 1914 D is fake too but there are some things about it that match a real one. I am using measurements between the 1 9 1 4 to determine if this was a doctored 1 9 4 4, on a 1 9 4 4 the vertical legs of the 9 4 4 are center to center distance (using the right side of the 9) on a 1914d the vertical leg of the 1 and the 4 distance, centers on the middle part of the 9. Also the location of the D on this coin matches a 1914D not a 1944d. The things that trouble me are the tail of the 9 and what looks to be file work around the date. I appreciate your guys input!
    DSCN0239.jpg

mlgdave

10. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

The second "1" looks to be a ground down 4. As in this was a 1944-D. Common way to counterfeit this key.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The 14D is clearly a fake--it is a 1914, with a very crudely added mintmark that looks nothing like the genuine one. I don't know enough about copper coinage to comment on the 31s.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A 1944-D with metal removed from the second 4 is an alteration, not counterfeit, as the coin is still genuine. While I get the point you were trying to make, and even though the end result is basically the same, a distinction should be made between the two.

13. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

+1
    Also you can't compare one 44D mintmark location and use it to say it isn't a '44. There was more than one obverse die used and each one has a different MM location.
    On the 14D the 9 should be centered between the ones, on your coin it isn't.

14. mlgdave

mlgdave Member

Yea kook, I do agree with that and am familiar with that type of CF of this coin, the thing that I dont understand is how the distance between the 9 the 2nd 1 and the 4 match up with a 1914 and not a 1944, thats the thing thats NOT counterfeit able. On a 1944 the two 4's and the right side of the 9 are all equal distance apart, on the 1914 the distance between the 1 and the 4 lines up with the center of the 9.

Thanks though, I do appreciate that!

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Gee thanks guys, alteration is what I really meant. My mind is running faster than my typing this morning ;)

16. mlgdave

mlgdave Member

Thanks Menace, that is the one thing I didnt look at, I was looking at the distances between the 9 4 4 and 9 1 4. BUt yes now it jumps out at me, Im still puzzled at the fact that the 9 1 4 have correct placement, but now I am satisfied its a faker!

mlgdave

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

One tool for determining a 1944 from a 1914 is to look at the bottom of Lincoln's bust. A 1914 will have a smooth truncation (bottom), whereas the 44 will exhibit a small VDB on the bottom edge. It was put there in 1918 and all coins minted from 1909-1917 can be determined by the lack of these letters on the bust

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

As best I can figure, that is a 1914 Lincoln. I am at least 95% sure that date has NOT been modified. However, as Morgandude11 suggested, I have my doubts about that mint mark, although I won't go as far as he went

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sort of. The presents of a VDB will definitely indicate a 1944 Lincoln. However, these capable of modifying the date so it looks proper and also capable of modifying (removing) the VDB.

And, FWIW, I do not see it on that coin and at least some of it should be visible.

Draft saved Draft deleted