I'm new to ancient coin collecting and have a question..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ibraaheem, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Ibraaheem

Ibraaheem New Member

What's a tetradrachm? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The tetradrachm was an Ancient Greek silver coin equivalent to four drachmae.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In the 5th century BC, it was a silver coin of about 17g but declined to a bronze coin of under half that weight by the last use of the term in the late 3rd century AD. With a few notable exceptions, it is the largest silver coin generally seen in ancient collections. There were a few, rare larger coins in some places but high end Greek coin collectors usually have a lot of tetradrachms.

Ripley likes this.
  5. Ibraaheem

Ibraaheem New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug => where is that awesome link which shows all of the ancient coin denominations? (I printed-out a hard copy a few years ago, but sadly I forgot where the electronic link is located)

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

yeah, that's the stuff.

but there are bronze, potin, and billon tetradrachms also, just depends. is there a particular coin you had in mind?

9. no name2015

no name2015 New Member

A silver greek/greek colonial silver coin worth 4 drachmas.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I find some interest that "drachm" is still used for a weight of 1/16 ounce. That makes four of them about 7 grams which is roughly what the last Alexandrian bronze tetradrachms weigh. The term was used for a weight and later applied to a coin with a meaning I believe we would be better off taking as 'standard coin' as we also should for stater, nummus and follis. Perhaps the best translation for all is 'dose'. Details and exact weights changed with time but people expected coins to be something and had a term for that something. We do the same thing with dollar and pound if you stop and think about it. Both have been issued in gold, silver and base metal over the span of time that separates Augustus from Diocletian.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted