Ike Dollar Grade Opinion???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinguy-matthew, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

That's your opinion and that's all it is, opinion.
    My opinion is that Don Willis is lower than edited forum rules!.
    And that's all that is, opinion.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

That's great, but you don't need to constantly spew it. You know what they say about opinions, right? They're just like something everybody else has, and nobody wants to hear about yours.

Back to the coin, I'd have guessed 64.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Enough - both of ya.

5. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I would have said MS64. You should be happy - My Ikes got hammered by PCGS. After cherry picking thru piles of mint sets, and then picking out what I thought were the best coins out of the 30 or so mint sets that I bought, I only managed two MS65s out of 10 submitted.

Take the MS65 with a smile!

PS: Nice coin. Ikes are my favorite.

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

RGS is the best TGP! (well, one day maybe, err.. maybe not, I need a business plan.... and some money and a whole lot of slabs.... and customers)

:thumb:

7. Danr

Danr Numismatist

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

you answered quickly. I was going to say ms 65. Close to a 66 however I think they held it back do to the weak strike on the reverse and average luster. 1971's were never in mint sets. This would have been a great coin had it been from the P mint.

9. kydedhed

kydedhed Member

Better than mine
    Just saying...

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

You did:

As for this....

Assume for a moment you are correct, and I am "a PR flak for PCGS", please provide proof of your assertion that grades have changed.

The facts are, for some reason you don't like Mr. Willis. I'm not sure if he spit on your wife or what, but your blind hate for the man is causing you to suggest nonsensical things that anyone who actually uses PCGS and looks at PCGS coins know to be untrue.

So put your proof where your mouth is. Put up or shut up. PROVE IT.

11. TheCoinGeezer

I just said it looked circulated, I said nothing about "AU".
    If you would like to believe that PCGS grading standards haven't changed, I'd ask you to explain why everybody wants coins in the OGHs?
    Put up or shut up.

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Folks want OGH's because they'd like to believe that they'll upgrade. Most, do not as any that will, have already been resubmitted.

Have the standards changed? Of course. Folks like toned coins today whereas 30 years ago they didn't. Things change as easily as opinions.

And just for the record, OGH's were stopped well before Don Willis took over the helm. 1998 as reported by Conder which was about 10 years before Willis was appointed (2008).

13. TheCoinGeezer

I try never to let facts get in the way of a good rant! :D

14. 19Lyds

No Kidding!

15. TheCoinGeezer

But my OPINION is that PCGS grading standards have been downgraded since the odious Mr. Willis took command.
    My OPINION is that Don Willis a coin huckster, no better than those bananas on cable TV..
    My OPINION is that the coin collecting community would be better served without Don Willis being in the position he currently resides.

16. 19Lyds

Well, I'm of the opinion that Don Willis only "represents" the company in matters ragarding the company just like any other company President.

I'm also of the opinion that Don Willis does NOT set grading policy.

I'm also of the opinion that Don Willis has less than desireable customer appreciation for Modern coin collectors (us weenies) but excellent customer appreciation for big ticket customers.

I'm also of the opinion that PCGS is the most popularly acceptable grading company in the World. But thats an "opinion" which is shared by a lot of other folks and we all know that opinions can change. Therefore, PCGS works hard to fortify that opinion.

They do a lot of things which I do not agree with but singling out one individual as the whipping boy for these things is a little naive and short sighted on my part.

They are a publically traded company and if Don Willis is not performing in such a manner as to add value to the company, then the company will replace him with someone that does. Thats simply a fact of good business.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

The implication you made was the coin wasn't properly graded. Mince words if you wish, it's right there for all to judge for themselves.

As for the changing of standards, I wasn't the one who suggested their standards had changed. You were.

And 19Lyds is right, there's about a 10 year gap between when OGHs and the time Mr. Willis took the helm -- nice backpeddle.

Prove your assertion/opinion that their grading standards have changed in the past four years -- or will you backpeddle there too?

I'm of the OPINION you are full of hot air, and lack the facts or skills to back up your OPINION. My proof? This thread.

Your proof? Zilch.

Put up or shut up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.