I need advice on moving my coin collection outside of US

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chris58, May 8, 2012.

1. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I can give you 2 pieces of advice: A. If you ship your collection, you'll have to fill out a customs form, which includes stating the contents of the package. If you write "coins" it probably will not make it to the destination. I always write "Hobby supplies"
    B. If it were me, and I could not carry the collection myself (because it sounds like it is a substantial collection) I would either find a place to leave it here, or not go.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I guess you could always secure passage as a shipsmate aboard a cargo ship heading to Europe. They don't check your baggage.
    Guy

4. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

There are two problems with this. First is customs. And secondly is the antiques artifacts acts in various countries. Start by called the Polish Consulate.

Amanda

5. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

I would check to see if there are any restrictions fo shipping that kind of value to the country you will be moving to.

FedEx offers a Declared Value Exception program gives eligible shippers the opportunity to declare a value up to $50,000 on specialty items like jewelry, gemstones and precious metals,
    versus the standard maximum declared value of $1,000. But they only ship to limited foreign countries. In Europe it only includes Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Netherlands, Ireland

If flying American Airlines, check with them. I know they have their international cargo which might be able to be used for this. Call them.

**edit**

Forgot to mention 1 other place I know of...its called G4S International Logistics. they might be the best option. But it could be pricey

6. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you for your advice, I have been trying to get the TSA on the phone and will try again tomorrow. The TSA should have a the answer and I will keep you folks posted tomorrow. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and please understand that I am grateful to have reached out to all of you. Your help has been terrific. Chat with all of you tomorrow.

7. chris58

chris58 New Member

Absolutely, will be in touch tomorrow. Take care.

8. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you, I will be going in person to both DHL and FEDEX to determine how I can safely ship my collection. However my concern is also
    whether they will ask me for total dollar value on the entire collection and secondly if I am going to be charged a levy tax of some sort.
    I will deal with both companies tomorrow and face the music afterwards. Will keep everyone posted tomorrow.

9. silverspoonvint

silverspoonvint New Member

Not sure how to get your collection there safely, but your employer may be willing to guarantee its safe arrival or give you the cash value if it doesn't since this is a deal breaker. I'd be careful about having more coins shipped to your in E. Europe, there are elements of Soviet corruption that exist in most govt. depts including their postal system. Given recent election outcomes in France, Greece and Russia, Europe is on the brink of something not good.

10. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you, I will definitely include G45 on my list.

11. alldrr5

alldrr5 Member

Right on Detecto!!....I am sure a couple of duffle bags or a few back packs should cover it all. Just make sure you check it in properly:rolleyes:.
    And heavens, make sure you take a rock tumbler with you so you can clean them up nicely & get all that travel grime off of them.

12. chris58

chris58 New Member

Thank you for your advice, the job offer is to work in Kazahstan and that is why I am stressed and concerned over shipping my collection.
    Tomorrow I will visiting DHL, FEDEX and calling other firms listed from everyone here. Will keep you posted tomorrow. And thank you.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kazahstan.......after hearing that I'd leave the collection home with a trusted individual. You're going to an area of the world that doesn't embrace the same ethics enjoyed here in the US. I wouldn't take anything there save the clothes on my back.......

14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

My suggestion is like others. Leave the coins with trusted family members or a sdb. The area you're going to work in is not know as the safest when shipping expensive coins. Even if it means you won't be able to see your collection, having a peace of mind is better than worrying about the coins never getting to their destination.

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Interesting mixed bag that you are trying to bundle here. :D But basically I agree - the collection should stay in the US, with trusted friends or relatives. Chris, I would only take photos of the coins "with you" to Kazakhstan. No worries about physically taking them with you, but you can still look at them and know they're yours.

Christian

16. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Yeah one thing nobody seems to be considering is he has about 400 pounds of coins. Thats a lot of weight.

I had a somewhat similar situation once. Not quite as much weight but it was about 60 pounds of coins. The best way I found to do it and it was a reliable way. Was to send it in a flat rate box registered mail with USPS. Each box can have up to 70 pounds. So he would just need to do it a few times.

The key is REGISTERED mail. Registered mail takes awhile but it is quite secure. Now I do no know about this kazakstan business, but I know that When I was doing it between states I felt fine doing so.

The other option is a shipping container, youd need one anyways for all your furnature or whatnot unless you just plan on going bareback.

17. C Jay

C Jay Member

Contact the US Embasy in the host country. They should have the local rundown on customs and may act in your favor should there be any problems. Also as a matter of course, stop in once you are there, quiz them about any unusual customs or laws. Let them know you are residing and working in country.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Until it leaves the country. Then it is at the mercy and regulations of the local countries postal services which may not always be trustworthy. And the insurance coverage in case of loss or damage drops to $49.

19. chris58

chris58 New Member

Good afternoon, I just got home after much disappointment with several shippers. However, they are on the right side of things as are all of you.
    I am leaving my collection in a bank vault here in NYC, and I am taking the job overseas. I was strongly adviced about shipping "numismatic
    items" as the label would have read, into Kazahstan, and that comes from three major shippers. So ladies and gentlemen I have all of you to thank since you folks gave it to me straight. I will return for my first vacation in a year and then I can go to the bank and visit my coins. Sounds strange, but I put a lot of time and effort to build towards my future retirement. Coin collecting can make for a great retirement when planned correctly. So folks, the coins stay behind, but I will continue to collect from abroad as well. Once a coin collector, always a coin collector!

20. chris58

chris58 New Member

I am leaving my collection in a bank vault, the result today was a warning not to ship to kazahstan. On my first vacation, I'll fly back to check
    my collection. Thank you all for your advice, you were all on the money. Bad idea to ship into certain countries with unregulated postal services.

21. chris58

chris58 New Member

Good afternoon, I have decided to leave my coin collection in a safe deposit box and accept my job offer in Kazahstan. Shipping coins into
    this country is unreliable and a huge gamble. Therefore, I will not take my collection along. I will return in 12 months to check on my collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted