I little quiz to test your common sense

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by irisheyes, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

ANOTHER 1776 Continential Currency Coin ! ???

I wonder how many people with little knowledge of Early American coins have inquired about coins they found or .inherited and were told it was a fake by coin dealers.???

And I wonder how many of them spent money to have then "SLABBED" after being told it was not real by a person who buys sells and studies coins for a living ?

I wonder how many of these disappointed people gave away threw away or sold their coins for next to nothing ??

I wonder what the information is based on.....considering the 1776 CONTINENTIAL CURRENCY COIN has little to no documented information available.

But mostly I wonder how many of the coins were fake and how many were real ?

Yes some of the examples are very obvious to those who have done extensive research into the history of early American coins ....

the information provided in COIN Books is at best uncertain ...!! ...why would you take a Risk ??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

oh dear god

Washington_Valley_Forge2_1977-13c.jpg oh dear god :eek:

4. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

5. james m. wolfe

6. ow9654

ow9654 Irish,British collector

I think james` pictures have summed up all our moods especially this one:
    So thanks james for posting easy to understand messages, hopefully irisheyes will see what your saying :thumb:
    [​IMG]

7. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

It's pretty clear this individual will not go away willingly.

Might I suggest an IP ban?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Fair warning Irish - if you wish to discuss this in a sensible manner, fine discuss it. But any more of the nonsense like you did the last time will result in the same thing happening - you going on vacation.

Now, it is the express opinion of pretty much everybody here that the you coin you posted about is a fake. No, you do not have to believe that. You can believe it is real until the day you die. But - DO NOT expect any of us to believe it is real until you get a professional opinion after an in hand examination of the coin from somebody like Q. David Bowers or some other noted authority. Or - you get either NGC or PCGS to confirm and slab the coin as authentic.

Understand ?

edit - and yes, I merged the 2 threads. That is enough - DO NOT start another one on the same subject Irish !.

9. james m. wolfe

thank-you-smile-ag1.gif :yes:

10. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Why does it surprise you that records of coining continental currency are so incomplete? Many records of early coins are flimsy for lots of reasons. But especially continental dollars.

Little is known about them because the design and minting operations were covert. It was not authorized by the Continental Congress (though there was interest in coinage).

The problem was we didn't have the silver needed -- we hoped France would come through. No design was chosen, no engraver approved. No gov't mint facility existed. There wasn't even a denomination in mind (dollars and cents wouldn't be conceived for years).

But many felt that the new country would benefit from coinage for two reasons. First, for street cred…to show off our national sovereignty. And second, to prop up the flailing paper currency.

A secret mission, involving "unidentified intermediates" was begun to commission the engraver, Elisha Gallauder, to design and prepare dies. It is believed they were minted in NY but that is not certain.

Samples minted were done in pewter (actually it isn't pewter as there is no lead; they're really 95% tin with 5% trace elements). A much smaller number were done in silver and copper, for presentation pieces.

Of course the silver from France never arrived, the continental currency's value continued to drop, and the tin "dollars" never circulated as currency. They were simply souvenirs.

Much of this comes from Breen's encyclopedia.
    Lance.

11. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

HOW about Robert W. Hoge will he do ??? LOL !

12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

13. Kasia

Keep laughing, he'll only do if he puts your coin on the cover of the ANA's monthly magazine, with a feature article on how you've found this and how it is authentic, as well as him personally paying for the coin to be professionally graded and encapsulated by either PCGS or NGC. Then, he'll do.

Otherwise, not.

14. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

[TABLE="class: Bs nH iY, width: 1007"]

[TD="class: Bu, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

coins & Tokens[TABLE="class: cf hX"]
    [TR="class: hY hM"]
    [TD="class: hT"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hU, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hS, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hV, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hW"][/TD]

[TR="class: hR"]
    [TD="class: hT hU hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hU hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]

[/TD]
    [TD="class: hS hM, bgcolor: #222222"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hV hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]X[/TD]
    [TD="class: hW hV hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: cf hX"]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: hR"]
    [TD="class: hT hU hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hU hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]Inbox[/TD]
    [TD="class: hS hM, bgcolor: #222222"][/TD]
    [TD="class: hV hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"]X[/TD]
    [TD="class: hW hV hM, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[TABLE="class: cf gJ"]

[TD="class: gF gK"][TABLE="class: cf ix, width: 468"]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]andrea piche to hoge
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: gH"]show details Mar 12 (6 days ago)[/TD]
    [TD="class: gH"][/TD]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[TABLE="width: 260"]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]andrea piche to sebastianheath

show details 2:47 PM (5 hours ago)

[/TABLE]

Dear Sir

I have spent a considerable amount of time over the past month or two researching the history of Early American coins in search of information regarding a coin I inherited. My research lead me to Mathewe Boltons Soho mint and the information I discovered is most interesting.

In fact I believe I have found an answer to some of the unknown mysteries regarding the 1776 Continential Currency coin.

I have documented my research and I believe it will be of interest to you.

If there is someone else I should discuss this with I would appreciate it very much if you would be so kind as to let me know who to contact.

I look forward to your reply

Thank You
    Andrea Grimason

[TABLE="class: cf gz, width: 779"]

[​IMG] Reply

[​IMG] Forward

[TD="class: io"][/TD]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Robert W. Hoge to heath, me
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: gH"]show details Mar 13 (6 days ago)[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Dear Andrea Grimason,

Thank you for your inquiry. I would be interested in the documentation of
    the research you mention, and would be happy to discuss it with you.

Sincerely yours,

Robert W. Hoge
    Curator of North American Coins and Currency
    American Numismatic Society
    75 Varick Street, 11th Floor
    New York, NY 10013

212-571-4470 ext. 154
    (FAX) 212-571-4479
    edited

Join the American Numismatic Society and receive the award-winning
    quarterly ANS Magazine
    http://www.numismatics.org/Membership

> Reply
    > [image: More]
    - Show quoted text -

[​IMG] Reply
    [​IMG] Reply to all
    [​IMG] Forward

[/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]andrea piche to Robert
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: gH"]show details Mar 13 (5 days ago)[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Hello Robert

Thank you for your reply.

Just to let you know..... until a few months ago I knew little to nothing about coins and although I have spent hours and hours researching I still dont know a whole lot about most coins....but when it comes to this coin ....well its like a good book that I just cant put down ....!!

I have to admit History was not of interest to me but now I cant seem to get enough ....and the thing I like most is when I am on the right track everything just seems to fall into place .....as opposed to when I get off track and nothing fits.

I dont think I worded that in the best way but with all the research you have done I'm sure you understand what I mean.

If you dont mind me asking .....I am wondering what you think about the 1776 CONTINENTIAL CURRENCY COIN

Sincerely
    Andrea Grimason

- Show quoted text -

[​IMG] Reply

[​IMG] Forward

[/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Robert Hoge to me
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: gH"]show details Mar 14 (5 days ago)[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Dear Ms. Grimason,

The 1776 continental "dollar" is really one of the most significant coins in the history of the United States, at least in my opinion.There are several varieties, none of which are actually common and some of which are quite rare. Fortunately, a fair number of them are found in extraordinarily choice condition (probably due to the fact that they did not succeed to circulate as money).

There are many reproductions of the Continental Currency coins in existence; these ARE common, and have no particular value. There are also "restrikes" dating from the time of the 1876 centennial celebration; these have a limited interest and value as collectors' items.

Apart from the fact that their designs were the work of Benjamin Franklin, not a great deal is known about the origins of the Continental Currency coins. While the mint location is uncertain, it is believed that at least some of the dies may have been the work of Elisha Gallaudet.

I am curious to know what documentation you may have found.

Sincerely yours,

Robert W. Hoge

75 Varick Street, Floor 11
    New York, NY 10013
    USA

edited
    212-571-4470 ext. 154

Join the American Numismatic Society and receive the award-winning quarterly ANS Magazine

- Show quoted text -

[​IMG] Reply

[​IMG] Forward

[/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Well am going to tell you one more thing before I spill the beans !...I was born in northern Ireland my uncles and father are orangemen of the Masonic Lodge in Belfast and my father was a grand master of the FREEMASONS in Canada for 8 years.

Due to the fact that there is very little information about this coin and the information we do know is uncertain I think it is fair to say that the matter is up for discussion.

What i am about to tell you is most likely going to sound ....Perhaps a little silly at first but if you would give me a chance to explain ...with an open mind ......rather the the thoughts you have learned from the coin books I think you will see the possibility is there.

I have found so many reasons to back up my beliefs which I will gladly explain to you however if your mind is dubt it will be required.

OK ..here goes...!!

I dont think the coin was intended to be an official US coin I beleive it was a token designed by and made by the Freemasons .....for the freemasons .....to commemorate independance as being united

• Ben Franklin James Watt and William Murdock amoung many others involved were Freemasons
    • The details on the coin ....MIND YOUR BUSINESS ..WE ARE ONE... The Triangle.... the Suns Rays the 13 rings
    These are just a few reasons i have many more showing why it was a Masonic Token and why it was not an actual US coin.

I have a good idea and documented information to back up WHEN... WHY and WHERE it was made as well as WHO made it and by what method.

and I have a coin that I beleive is not only unique but it has the ability to provide insight that until now may have been unknown.

As I mentioned I do not know much in the way of coin terminology but I believe my ignorance in that area is made up from the knowledge I have aquired through research especially the history of the world at that time as well as the history of the freemasons. .

I know your probably forming reasons as to why this cant be so ....but before you do please just give it a shot i think you will be surprised how well everything falls into place !!!

My dad always says ......when something is true...... it has a ring to it...!!!!!

- Show quoted text -

[​IMG] Reply

[​IMG] Forward

[/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

I was just looking over my last message and I just want to let you know that I just woke up and I apologize for my bad grammar .....! my head is a little cloudy ...LOL !

But my thoughts I am sure of

Andrea- Show quoted text -

[​IMG] Reply

[​IMG] Forward

[/TABLE]

[​IMG]Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Robert Hoge to me
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Dear IRISHeyes,

Thank you for your interesting communication. This is certainly an intriguing theory, which could help explain some of the various anomalies regarding the "Continental Currency" I think this matter is surely worth further investigation. Most of the circumstances and details surrounding these "coins" have never been discovered, and there are, to my knowledge, no records of them having functioned as money at any time, anywhere.

All best wishes,

Robert Wilson Hoge
    75 Varick Street, Floor 11
    New York, NY 10013
    USA

edited
    212-571-4470 ext. 154

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, what about him ? Yes, I know who he is, he's a former curator of the ANS and the ANA museums. Are you claiming that he examined your coin and determined it was genuine ? If so, yes, I'd absolutely accept his determination.

However, I just so happen to have a friend, and forum member, who lives close to the ANA museum and I will ask him to get in touch with Mr. Hoge and confirm your claim. If he does, I'll state publicly right here that I was wrong.

But if he doesn't ...............

edit - OK, so you exchanged some emails with him - so what ?

16. Kasia

:rolleyes: oh, yeah, that really clears things up. he definitely thinks your coin is real. so apparent. :rolleyes:

So get the coin graded (really, not any fake stuff like you're spouting) at PCGS or NGC.

17. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

thanks for the entertaining read guys! I like how he said that "yes, he had the coin graded" but when everyone called him on it he was more like, "darn, i probably shouldn't have wrote that"......you would lend yourself more credibility (not that you have any on here it would seem) not to make statements you can't back up.,.....i just stumbled onto this thread now so i missed any previous dialogue on this subject but i find irisheyes and his bumbling ways to be uniquely entertaining today...thanks !

18. irisheyes

irisheyes New Member

Dear Ms. Grimason,

I certainly agree that your theory deserves further investigation and
    exploration. I can see that there must be many "fits" in connection with
    your interpretation. The masonic component is undeniable, in my opinion.
    But it is not advantageous to pursue the idea with an outcome already
    predetermined, as I hope you can understand. Historical proofs are not
    easy to establish, and there is definitely a great deal of documentation
    to be done if your ideas are to be rendered plausible.
    Your hypothesis that there is a connection between FreeMasonry and the
    Continental Currency coinage is very intriguing, and I like the idea of investigating
    this, and considering the possibility that these could be some sort of Masonic tokens.
    I was not aware, however, that the thirteen link chain (the states) and the sundial/passage-of-time
    emblems were Masonic

Sincerely yours,

Robert

Robert W. Hoge
    75 Varick Street, 11th Floor
    New York, NY 10013

212-571-4470 ext. 154
    (FAX) 212-571-4479

edited - please do not post people's email addresses like that as they are harvested by SPAM bots

Join the American Numismatic Society and receive the award-winning
    quarterly ANS Magazine

19. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

so your proof is an email where a guy tells you that you have no proof of your claims?

20. Kasia

I think that sums it up.

21. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Not doubting those emails, but how do we know you just did not type them out.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.